The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Bristol 2012 applicants !

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wren94
hello fellow musician :biggrin:

Yay! I look forward to meeting you in September/October :smile: What accommodation are you thinking of, Colston Street is my number one atm...
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2161
Original post by falling
Yaaaay offer for Philosophy and Spanish :biggrin:
Probs will be my firm

I have confirmed for Politics and Spanish.. may see you there!
Reply 2162
What is everyone thinking about accommodation? I have heard badock hall is pretty live!!
Original post by Dereon
Just firmed Msc International Relations at Bristol.
Now the search for accommodation begins....

Hey,

Still undecided about Bristol v/s Bath for MA in Intl Security!!

Why did==id you choose Bristol?
Reply 2164
Can't wait to go! Anyone else looking forward to trying out the different societies/sports?

I just hope I get the grades I need!
I got an offer for French and Italian back in January, anyone else applied for the same course and not studied italian before? (:
Reply 2166
Original post by lant123
Hi! I have been offered an unconditional from Bristol, but stuck between Bristol and Warwick - art history. If anyone does art history at Bristol and has any comments about the course please let me know! Also does anyone know about any traveling opportunities they may have, apart from the year abroad if you do a language?
:confused:
Thanks!

Hi, I'm at Bristol at the minute and do biology (I know, not much help) but I do know someone that does Art History. I think lectures tend to be in more of a seminar form, so smaller groups of people. He has about 4-6 hours contact time a week, and I think it's quite an essay based course. Hope that helps a little bit :smile:
Reply 2167
Original post by clstar12
Yeah I completely agree i'd probably skip lectures too buuuuuuuut I didn't know that outside stoke bishop is crap for night life!?:eek: I do love a good night out and thought city centre would be better for this-no?

(Aimed at anyone in the Stoke Bishop- Clifton dilemma.)

Hey, I've lived in Goldney Hall this year (In Clifton)
There's advantages and disadvantages to living in Stoke Bishop or near the main centre. Colston street is the only accomodation that is really in/near what's regarded as the city centre. Then you have Goldney, Manor and Clifton Hill House which are in Clifton, which has a nice street with shops and is near the suspension Bridge. Also if you walk ten minutes you're at the Triangle, which is not technically speaking 'the city centre' but it's very near the main uni precinct, and also where'll you will probably end up spending a lot of your nights 1st year, as there's a few more clubs close together here. Further down in town there are more clubs, but that's a good walk away. Stoke Bishop is about a 30 minute walk from the triangle, and probably around 50 minutes from the main centre.

So basically, to compensate for the distance from the night life, Stoke Bishop halls (they're positioned very close together) have quite a close atmosphere and organise more social events actually on site, which can suit some people, but not others that like to go out. It's a house party vs clubbing kind of thing. That said, there's always taxis.

I've definitely not found the Clifton halls to be lacking in nightlife though due to the proximity to town. Basically wherever you do you're going to be getting a good nightlife, because Bristol just offers you that, and literally whichever hall you go to you'll enjoy it. If you don't mind getting a bus to lectures living in Stoke Bishop.
Original post by Laura134
(Aimed at anyone in the Stoke Bishop- Clifton dilemma.)

Hey, I've lived in Goldney Hall this year (In Clifton) ...

I wud have given u a thumbs up if i cud! That has helped A LOT! Thanks :biggrin:
Reply 2169
Is it true that the percentage of non EU students is 6% in Bristol?
Reply 2170
Original post by kadeeeja
Is it true that the percentage of non EU students is 6% in Bristol?

I don't know about non-EU but the overall percentage of international students is 19%.

http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/university-uk/university-of-bristol-ranking/4517/page.html
Reply 2171
Original post by ellie157
I don't know about non-EU but the overall percentage of international students is 19%.

http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/university-uk/university-of-bristol-ranking/4517/page.html

Thank you, I read about the 6% in the union website
Reply 2172
Original post by lant123
Hi! I have been offered an unconditional from Bristol, but stuck between Bristol and Warwick - art history. If anyone does art history at Bristol and has any comments about the course please let me know! Also does anyone know about any traveling opportunities they may have, apart from the year abroad if you do a language?
:confused:
Thanks!

Unconditional!?!? How did you manage that?
Original post by xander93
Unconditional!?!? How did you manage that?

If you apply post A levels you get an unconditional offer.
Reply 2174
Original post by thethinker
If you apply post A levels you get an unconditional offer.

Thanks for clearing that up! Thought they must have been scraping the barrel for me at first haha.
Original post by punctuation
Same as domestic applicants who have put Bristol as an insurance. However, international students have a delayed deadline to hand in their results. Unfortunately, if you end up missing your grades and requiring accommodation, the later you realise this, the smaller your chance of getting university-owned residences.

Hey, thanks for the info.

Although, I tried the Bristol accommodation application and it says I'm not eligible because I'm an insurance offer holder. Does this mean that I can't get accommodation even if I DO end up in Bristol?

Sorry, a little confused.. Thanks for your help!
Reply 2176
AnonCoconut
thanks for your help

This is what I found on their website:
The guarantee does not apply to students who:

miss the application deadline
have not firmly accepted their offer of study by the given deadline
have previously studied at the University
are on an EU exchange (Erasmus) programme

But it says you should complete the form as soon as Bristol becomes your firm choice after results - if you get your insurance choice.

"If we are able to make allocations to non guaranteed students these will be emailed from 3 September and thereafter on a daily basis. It is ESSENTIAL that we have your correct email address so that you can receive details of your offer. Priority for allocation will be given to students who have special requirements with regard to accommodation because of ill health or disability and then to students who would find it especially difficult to look for private rented accommodation in Bristol.

We will try our best to offer you a suitable room and will only make one offer of accommodation. If we do not have enough spaces for everyone we will give priority to students with disabilities, students from abroad who may find it difficult to come to the UK to look for private rented accommodation and students facing particular financial hardship. After these priorities students will be selected randomly within the preferences they have indicated.

If we are not able to accommodate all students we may place some students in temporary accommodation and will run a residential house search event so that students can find their own accommodation. The aim of the event is to give students time to look around Bristol and view properties, either as an individual or in a group with other students. Staff from the Accommodation Office will be on hand to give advice and information and to help with any issues or concerns."

That's from the website - http://www.bristol.ac.uk/accommodation/ug/guide/non-guaranteed.html
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by AnonCoconut
Hey, thanks for the info.

Although, I tried the Bristol accommodation application and it says I'm not eligible because I'm an insurance offer holder. Does this mean that I can't get accommodation even if I DO end up in Bristol?

Sorry, a little confused.. Thanks for your help!

You can't apply for accommodation until you are certain you missed your firm, which means after results. Sorry.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by punctuation
You can't apply for accommodation until you are certain you missed your firm, which means after results. Sorry.

Aah.. I reckon that means I'll have to take whatever room they give me. Actually, although Bristol is my insurance, I'm very sure I'll end up there because my firm choice is King's, and I definitely did not do well enough to keep THAT, LOL.

Anyway, thank you so much for your help! :smile:
Original post by slizzie
This is what I found on their website:
The guarantee does not apply to students who:

That's from the website - http://www.bristol.ac.uk/accommodation/ug/guide/non-guaranteed.html

Dear Slizzie,

Okay, then it sounds like I may still have a chance. As I'm from Malaysia, the foreign student status might help.. Hopefully I'll get something. :smile:

Thank you so much for your help! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending