The Student Room Group

Uncapped student threshold changed to ABB

http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/russell-group-latest-news/151-2012/5261-uncapped-student-threshold-changed-to-abb/

Commenting on the Government’s changes to student recruitment core and margin arrangements, Dr Wendy Piatt, Director General of the Russell Group, said:

“This is a sensible package that will give more students greater choice. Reducing the threshold to ABB will allow universities with high demand from highly qualified candidates to accept extra students (if they wish) and protect them from cuts in their student numbers. The quality of teaching and learning at Russell Group universities means they are in high demand on average there are more than seven applications per place. We do not believe our leading universities will decide en masse to expand at the first opportunity, but it is right that those with the capacity and demand can now choose to recruit more students if they wish, perhaps on particular courses. Of course, it will also be important to get a clear definition of qualifications considered equivalent to ABB at A level.

“We have consistently argued that the ‘core and margin’ policy of re-distributing places largely on the basis of lower fees does not improve quality or enhance student choice so we are pleased the Government has not only reduced the threshold to ABB but has also reduced to 5,000 the number of additional places to be re-distributed in this way. We urge HEFCE to continue to exclude core numbers in strategic and vulnerable subjects such as science, Maths, engineering and languages so that the number of places on these courses can be maintained.”

Ends

now, I vaguely remember being told that they can take an unlimited number of AAA students, however is this article saying that have extended that cap to include ABB students?

If so , does that mean that if an AAB students drops down to a ABB, the uni will be more willing to accept them because they no longer get fined for having excess students ?
Reply 1
No, its ABB and above, not just ABB.
Reply 2
Original post by Jamie201
No, its ABB and above, not just ABB.

Yeah I know that, but I don't quite get what the article is saying. does this mean they are allowing an unlimited number of AAA,AAB AND ABB students ? Cause in terms of AAA students this is the impression they gave me when I got told
Reply 3
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Yea it means there is no cap on taking students who get ABB so the only thing stopping the uni taking AAA-ABB students is intake they receive and how many they can accommodate. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Jamie201
Yea it means there is no cap on taking students who get ABB so the only thing stopping the uni taking AAA-ABB students is intake they receive and how many they can accommodate. :smile:

So does this mean if I miss my offer (AAB TO ABB) there is a slightly higher chance of being accepted due to the fact they will no longer be fined ?:colondollar:

I just need some form of hope :eek:
Reply 6
Original post by Hobo389
yes it does, they will not get fined if they oversubscribe :smile:

I THINK THIS IS GREAT NEWS! Does this mean they can now accept student who have just missed there offers because they will no longer be fined ?
Reply 7
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by YB101
So does this mean if I miss my offer (AAB TO ABB) there is a slightly higher chance of being accepted due to the fact they will no longer be fined ?:colondollar:

I just need some form of hope :eek:

I would say so! This year applicants have been reduced significantly by about 10% i think, so that would mean more space at universities and with no fines limiting the number of intake this means they can accept more. So there should be higher chances than previous years that if you miss your offer but still get ABB of still getting in :smile:

However it will depend on your uni choice and course.
Reply 9
Original post by YB101
Yeah I know that, but I don't quite get what the article is saying. does this mean they are allowing an unlimited number of AAA,AAB AND ABB students ? Cause in terms of AAA students this is the impression they gave me when I got told

the proposal being kicked around was unlimited places for applicants with AAB+, this appears to have been revised to 5000 places for applicants with ABB+
the russell group seems happy so I expect they're anticipating admitting more students to their oversubscribed money making courses.
Reply 10
Original post by Joinedup
the proposal being kicked around was unlimited places for applicants with AAB+, this appears to have been revised to 5000 places for applicants with ABB+
the russell group seems happy so I expect they're anticipating admitting more students to their oversubscribed money making courses.

Is this for 2012 entrance or 2013 entrance?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending