The Student Room Group

Why is Kate Middleton adored yet Cheryl Cole is loathed?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Miracle Day
Thanks. I can't upload images on my ipad haha

Hmm, you just edited your post so that now everyone thinks you found those pictures when I did first :colonhash:
There is no reason to adore or loathe either of them. Neither of them are particularly remarkable people - even if people make the mistake of equating achievement with personality.
I'm not a fan of either women, but Kate hasn't exactly done anything apart from go to university and work part time for her parent's firm before marrying William, she strikes me as a bit workshy to be honest. Cheryl is clearly a hard worker who came from an underprivileged background and I respect her for that, but I just don't think she has much talent.
Reply 43
Original post by freedomyak
A very privileged 'commoner' might you note. It's not like she grew up round the estates of Toxteth. Her family are quite well off.

Hence why I put it in quotation marks.
Original post by willbee
Cheryl was adored until the whole move to Xfactor USA and axed thing. She went pretty rapidly from national treasure to national embarrassment and I don't think she'll recover from it.

Kate was part of a royal wedding, one of the best in recent years, dresses impeccably, seems down-to-earth and likeable, is a "commoner" who married a prince which is like a "fairytale" and is a symbol of national pride via the monarchy as well as a potential future Queen.

I've never understood why Kate Midleton's a commoner. Yes, her family don't have any connection to royalty but people make it out as though she comes from a council estate to marrying Prince William. oh, I've just seen you're above post, now I see you put 'commoner' in quotation marks.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by willbee
Cheryl was adored until the whole move to Xfactor USA and axed thing. She went pretty rapidly from national treasure to national embarrassment and I don't think she'll recover from it.

Kate was part of a royal wedding, one of the best in recent years, dresses impeccably, seems down-to-earth and likeable, is a "commoner" who married a prince which is like a "fairytale" and is a symbol of national pride via the monarchy as well as a potential future Queen.

- I don't think the Royal Wedding was the best just because it was Kate who was getting married, it could have been anyone who married Prince William. What I think made it so special was the feeling of everyone in GB uniting and celebrating- it really made me soften towards the Royal Family because there really aren't that many occasions that have the ability to get everyone out on the streets celebrating. Also, Royal Weddings are always exciting, no matter who the bride is. They're so well planned and widely broadcasted that the Palace advisors are never going to allow it to be a shambles. That's just my opinion though.

-Dressing well isn't that hard when you have a shopping budget as big as hers and can afford to get everything made for you by top designers.

- I know for certain that most commoners don't live in £1 million+ houses, have £30,000 a year educations and have parents who can afford to fund your lavish lifestyle because you can't work due to press harassment/needing to be available for your prince whenever her calls/because you don't want to. I'm not saying it is necessarily a bad thing or that she should be punished for it, after all some people are born lucky, others not so much, my only objection is calling her a 'commoner' and implying that she is in some way more in touch with the 'people' compared to the royal family. After all, if she hadn't had her education she would not be as refined as she is now and she and PW may never have met.

-Having said that, I'm sure being a part of the Royal Family is challenging in other ways, eg long days, doing things that bore you, never being able to retire, lack of privacy and press harassment, and she's kept it pretty together and has done nothing to embarass herself or the Royal Family (shame the same can't be said of her sister) and I do think she deserves kudos for that.

Original post by TheSmithsIndeed
I overheard a conversation the other day in which someone said that Kate Middleton is a great role model for girls. That made me feel sad.

I agree. If waiting around to get married and never working a day in your life makes you a role model then okay. She's pretty and has done well so far but she sure as hell isn't a great role model.
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Hmm, you just edited your post so that now everyone thinks you found those pictures when I did first :colonhash:

Well I found one and you found the other, so I'll edit the picture of Cheryl Cole in a min

Original post by Idle
One has a criminal record, the other doesn't?

That was over 8 years ago.. change the record
They both seem to be adored and loathed in more less equal measure to me. :dontknow:

But then I couldn't care less about either of them, so I don't really know.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 49
Typical Daily Mail thinking.

Chose two photos in complete contrast. I'm sure there are pictures of Kate drunk and Cheryl glamorous.

Awkward..

I dont understand - what's your point?
Also why has the fact that Kate is wearing her wedding ring been pointed out...
Well I found one and you found the other, so I'll edit the picture of Cheryl Cole in a min

Well, I actually found the first pic myself before I then saw that you'd already posted it (I must have not noticed the link before), so fair enough there. But really, don't worry about it :p:
Reply 51
Original post by pink pineapple
I've never understood why Kate Midleton's a commoner. Yes, her family don't have any connection to royalty but people make it out as though she comes from a council estate to marrying Prince William. oh, I've just seen you're above post, now I see you put 'commoner' in quotation marks.

I read her early life part on wiki which is quite ambiguous if you're trying to identify her family background, but commoners certaintly don't go to Marlborough college.
Original post by Fusion
I read her early life part on wiki which is quite ambiguous if you're trying to identify her family background, but commoners certaintly don't go to Marlborough college.

Her background's pretty normal but as well as going to Marlborough college, commoners don't own £1 million houses in Berkshire
Original post by Fusion
Cheryl came from a council house in Newcastle and made success and fame whereas Kate's claim to fame is meeting the future King at uni and clinging to him for all she could.

Kate cuts ribbons

Cheryl works her socks off whilst taking abuse from all corners (chav etc)

p.s. I'm certaintly not a fan of CC by any means

It all depends on how you present yourself.

Kate is connected to royalty, she wears classy, modest outfits and presents herself more elegantly.

Cheryl Cole, does not.

Not trying to say I prefer one over the other, I haven't met either of them, so I don't have a strong opinion either way.
Reply 54
When did you last hear Kate Middleton mouth off, wear slutty outfits, and pose for lads mags?

Essentially it is about taste and tact.
Reply 55
Original post by ForKicks
When did you last hear Kate Middleton mouth off, wear slutty outfits, and pose for lads mags?

Essentially it is about taste and tact.

Cheryl climbed Kilomanjaro
I hate them both.

Smash their back doors in though. :coma:
Reply 57
Original post by Fusion
Cheryl climbed Kilomanjaro

How is that related to taste and tact? :confused: Kerry Katona and Katie Price do sponsored runs, but it doesn't make them any better in that sense!
agreed... people r mad...
Kate Middleton is adored? She's no-one to me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending