The Student Room Group

Doing 3 A levels instead of 4

Would it be okay to do three AS levels instead of four in the first year, then do an AS alongside the three A2 subjects I'll be doing?

Or what if I just did three A levels; English Literature, English Language and Ancient History, would universities still accept that? The top 40 Universities at least?
Reply 1
Most Unis expect 3 A2s and 4 subjects at AS and will give offers based (partially, not entirely) on the AS results so if I were you I'd stick to 4 x AS then drop your weakest subject. I there are particular reasons to do otherwise you'd been speak to your college. Good luck :wink:
Reply 2
Original post by Wall of sound
Would it be okay to do three AS levels instead of four in the first year, then do an AS alongside the three A2 subjects I'll be doing?

My friend did this, and it was treated no differently. He picked up AS Further Maths and did it along his A2 Chemistry, Physics and Maths. I wouldn't it imagine it to make any difference although some universities may ask why you did this, but you could just say you didn't know what to choose for a 4th subject until later in your AS year :smile:

Or what if I just did three A levels; English Literature, English Language and Ancient History, would universities still accept that? The top 40 Universities at least?

Some universities require a 4th AS in a subject, some have them for certain disciplines such as Warwick requiring a 4th AS pass for Law and History. Last year St Andrews had a 4th AS at grade A requirement, but I can't find that on their page anymore.
Reply 3
PS sorry typed that too fast - IF there are.... you'd BEST speak...
Btw you can always ring or email the admissions people at a couple of Unis you like the look of and ask their advice too. Best to get it from the horses's mouth!
Reply 4

I think you'd be better advised to do four AS in the first year then drop one and do three A2s. If you're ultimately wanting to come out of college with four AS and three A2, it's hard work doing 3 A2s and an AS - I did that this year and it wasn't really worth it.

I'm not sure about just doing three AS over all - as others have said, you're better off asking universities directly.

Quick Reply

Latest