The Student Room Group

Do tesco hire 16 year olds?

I'm looking for a full time job this summer as for two months i am free. After i go to college i would only work weekends. I was just wondering weather Tesco hire 16 olds and would sort of work they would require me to do.

Also what other companies are good for 16 year olds?

Scroll to see replies

I just started to work at Pizza hut, and one of the people I work with has been there since he was 16, he turned 17 2 months ago.

Do NOT put all your eggs in one basket mate, I applied for probably around 50 jobs, and only had 2 interviews out of that, luckily one successful.
Reply 2
Original post by metalthrashin'mad
I just started to work at Pizza hut, and one of the people I work with has been there since he was 16, he turned 17 2 months ago.

Do NOT put all your eggs in one basket mate, I applied for probably around 50 jobs, and only had 2 interviews out of that, luckily one successful.

Yeah thanks for the advice and obviously i will apply for as many places as i can.
Reply 3
I think they do yeah but the only 16 year olds I know of who have worked there were really close to 17.

You'd just work on the tills (though you can't sell alcohol until you're 18 so someone older would have to authorise things for you if someone had alcohol) and stack shelves and stuff, based on what people I know do and have done :smile:

I know Waitrose is quite good for hiring sixteen year olds, randomly. But you don't really know until you apply and it varies depending on area. My advice would be to:
a) print off a LOAD of CVs (different ones for different establishments, though ie. tailor one to restaurant jobs and another for shop jobs) emphasising general employable qualities you have e.g. reliable, friendly
b) hand them out to as many places as possible, be personable and polite when you go in and you never know, one of them might get back to you :smile:
c) apply for jobs online. From the people I know, young people tend to be less successful at getting jobs this way but some companies (Marks and Spencers, Next etc.) won't take CVs in the shop and insist you apply online, it's probably best to check what their procedure is individually depending on where you might like to work.

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 4
I'm 16 and haven't left school yet but just got called by tesco for an interview tomorrow, I told them that i can't go because i've got an exam tomorrow so they said they'll call me back on thursday. Hopefully i get the job.
Reply 5
hey i've just finished my as levels and need to find myself a part time job. but i have no idea where to start, i've just written a rough cv but does anyone know where i could apply for a job and how? help would be much appreciated!
Yeah, I know two people that started working there when we were 16 in year 12.
try thestudentjob.com , lots of employers (most not well known) post vacancies on there, apply on here AS WELL AS your usual 50+ businesses. Best of luck :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by help.please
hey i've just finished my as levels and need to find myself a part time job. but i have no idea where to start, i've just written a rough cv but does anyone know where i could apply for a job and how? help would be much appreciated!

You could go in store and speak to the manager because i know someone who did so. JUst be sure to look clean:colondollar:
Reply 9
Problem with the likes of Expresses is under 18's need supervisor approval for alcohol etc which is just a hassle for a lot when you can have an over 18 on till. Bigger stores generally do less job rotation so you could just be on stock as opposed to tills. They do employ under 18's but I would look at Superstore not anything smaller.
My primary school classmate worked at sainsburys when he was 14 years old. So don't worry about the age factor. :smile:

But under 18s can't work as a cashier though because of the alcohol thing.
Well I'm 15 and I have an interview with a Tesco store tomorrow, I was offered a job by the store manager when I was there for work experience. They found a loop hole which meant that I am able to work there, all they need is a permit from the council, my school, my parents consent and a work permit...
hi my name is lee im 16 do tesco hire 16 year olds im leaving school in about a week but im off to college can you help
Original post by lee lightning
hi my name is lee im 16 do tesco hire 16 year olds im leaving school in about a week but im off to college can you help

No.
hello my name is jakub misalko i live in wednesbury i would like to ask you if you need cv for this job?
Original post by user6786
hello my name is jakub misalko i live in wednesbury i would like to ask you if you need cv for this job?

You do realise that this thread is 6 years old.
Reply 16
Hi how did you apply for job i am 16 also .
What did you work as at 16 and how did you apply ?
yes tesco do accept 16 year olds but they u work late and they want u to be dedicated
Reply 19
Original post by o_mullanx
yes tesco do accept 16 year olds but they u work late and they want u to be dedicated

Hey,

So would you call or email them to ask for a job?

Quick Reply