The Student Room Group

Why is it fair for people with money to get a better education than me?

Scroll to see replies

it's not the school, it's the individual mostly :smile:
You can get straight A*'s or straight D's regardless of whether you go to a state school or a private school. Yes, people at private schools are more spoon-fed and are more likely to get better grades, but so what? If you work hard and are determined you can do well at either one.

I know many people who went to state schools and came out with a string of A*'s in GCSE's and A levels. Lots of people I know from state schools have gone to top universities.

I went to a state school and yes they're not great, but I'm not against people going to private schools. Instead of moaning about private schools doing well, the state schools should learn from them and try to become better. State schools are so rubbish due to the sheer lack of discipline there, and this is what needs to improve.

If someone can afford to send their child to a private school where the learning atmosphere is far more positive, then good for them.

The idea of removing private schools because they're unfair is idiotic... while we're at it we may as well ban private healthcare, ban people from buying big houses or wearing expensive clothes because it's 'unfair' :facepalm:

Life is unfair, what we can do is work harder and try to improve ourselves.
If there were people in your school who achieved up to 11A*s, why do you think you couldn't have done the same if you worked hard? I think there's no reason it was impossible to be honest. I thnk the fact their parents are paying a lot of money for their education makes a huge difference in the atmosphere because everyone feels pressured to work hard so they don't waste their parents' money (my friend, who moved to private school after going to school with me until year 9 told me that). The fact is, a lot of people at state school simply don't want to do any work and mess about, ruining the education for everyone else.
I think that it's time that people became more responsible for their own learning and didn't have such a reliance on the education system to teach them everything that they need to know. Sure, they can and should introduce you to what you need to know but if you really want to acheive great grades, it's up to you to spend the time revising and learning the stuff in your own time and not just depending on your teachers to miraculously instill in you all the knowledge that you'll need to get an A*. I know people who went to state schools (school i went to) and did amazingly well because their dedication to doing the best that they could was matched with a realisation that they had to put the hours in themselves.

Really, what can private schools do that teachers in state schools can't or don't? Sing the maths to you? Read the English poems to you in a funny voice and dance as you contemplate the effect of a sonnet on the reader? No, the knowledge to be given is the same and while the methods of teaching may vary, the style adopted by private school teachers wont be so advanced and great as to negate that used by teachers in state schools.

Moral of that was - rely on yourself and you'll do well, rely on others and it's more dependent on their merits and motivation to want to help you
Reply 64
Well I guess that's just how things are in life; But just because you go to a private school doesn't always mean you will get A* or A. Some people who go to private schools turn out to be complete flops but still end up where they want somehow or another.
It's unfair but I don't think you can generalise from those two examples that you mentioned. I went to a private school for my primary education and while I appreciate my parent's efforts to keep me there I'm not better off now for it, I'm certainly not more intelligent than most of the people on here.

The reason private schools are unfair is because the whole point of them is that the children there get a better education and a better life than children in state schools. It's founded on that principle of a better environment for people who can pay for it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 66
Original post by OU Student
A private school isn't always better than a state school. They could just be more intelligent than you?

Sorry, but this is an attitude I've run into a lot since going to a separate college after secondary school, which despite being a 'state' college is fairly selective. About 20% of people are from the only private school in my area, and the other 80% are from state schools. The 20% have mostly A*s/As at GCSE, and in discussion they seem almost unanimously agreed that they must simply be cleverer than the state school students. Quite obviously it's due to the quality of education provided that makes such a startling difference in the vast majority of cases? :confused:
Reply 67
I think it depends... I go to a state school and the teachers teach alright :smile:

its attitude>..
Reply 68
Original post by Miracle Day

So why is it that people who go to private schools get better grades? Why is their standard of education so high and why can't teachers in state schools copy it?

*Teacher competency accounts for a lot. Some of my teachers were terrible at my 'reasonable' comprehensive secondary school.
*There is a culture of 'failure is cool' at state schools which pretty much dooms everyone. Apparently the culture at private schools is one of academic competitiveness.
Reply 69
You can get anywhere with the right attitude...Xx
Reply 70
Original post by chapman.
You get what you pay for, like all things.

If I was the best Biology teacher in England where will I go, a state school where I will be abused by some pupils, or a private school where I'll get paid twice the salary and will; quite frankly teach better behaved and brought up pupils.

Some of the more expensive private schools pay more. But the vast majority of private schools pay less. If you aim to earn a lot as a teacher you would go to state schools as then you are more likely to proceed up the ranks. My (private school) form tutor told me this so not sure how true it is. But just pointing it out.
Reply 71
Original post by . .
Some of the more expensive private schools pay more. But the vast majority of private schools pay less. If you aim to earn a lot as a teacher you would go to state schools as then you are more likely to proceed up the ranks. My (private school) form tutor told me this so not sure how true it is. But just pointing it out.

Hmm I don't see how that could be right, due to the obscene amounts some private schools charge. It has to go somewhere right?
The title is more of a crowd drawer than my actual opinion, I'm still undecided on the 'private school issue' but I'm prepared to swing either way so convince me otherwise TSR.

I was just speaking to a girl who told me she wants to do Law in KCL, and she told me her brother got 12 A*s and she got 8 A*s. Me and my brothers went to state schools and I never got a single A*, one had mostly Cs and one had mostly Ds. So I've done much better than my brothers.

At first I thought wow for both to get such good grades they must have really good parents. But then I decided to ask "Do you go to a private school or state school?" She answered "Private school."

For both to have done so well having gone to a private school, I'm assuming this a common thing? Where as my school is a band 1 state school (Top band) and the highest achieved grade was 11 A* and 1 A, the second was 7A* and it went down from there out of 200 people. My GCSEs were considered well above average for my school. I can't however apply to the top Universities because my GCSEs aren't as good compared to, say, people on TSR and I am a hard worker.

So why is it that people who go to private schools get better grades? Why is their standard of education so high and why can't teachers in state schools copy it?

I'm just wondering, so discuss.

Oh, and I don't think there are welsh private schools are there?

Before anyone tries telling me their own opinion here are some facts taken from the BBC.

8% of Children go to private schools, 92% go to state schools.
More than half of all students in Private schools come out with A or A* GCSE grades.
38% of all children getting three As or better at A-level are from Private schools.

Going to a private school will not turn Cs and Ds into A* grades.

At the very top private schools there is often a rigorous entrance exam, this ensures that the people who do get in are intelligent (obviously you need the money as well). People often forget this fact. I remember when I was taking my common entrance exams. They are tough. The material is often taken from GCSE papers and remember we are sitting these at the age of 13 in all our subjects (French, Latin, Maths, English, Science, History, Geography). So that is one reason that they achieve better grades. Obviously not everyone at a private school is better than everyone at a state school, but I would say that on average they are most definitely better.

Private schools basically have better resources. They probably have more money to spend (don't actually have any figures) and they spend it more wisely. They attract the best staff as they pay more than state schools and teachers want the opportunity to teach a class of mainly bright kids, rather than a class with some bright kids but also a lot of disruptive kids. Private schools also generally have longer schools hours, don't know if this has an effect but it means you can fit more lessons in.

The environment is also a big factor. You are encouraged to succeed and are often given extra work to push yourself. Speaking to teachers in state schools, it seems that much of their time is spent dealing with troublemakers and those of lower ability levels. This means the cleverer kids are often left to it and spend a lot of time twiddling their thumbs.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 73
The title is more of a crowd drawer than my actual opinion, I'm still undecided on the 'private school issue' but I'm prepared to swing either way so convince me otherwise TSR.

I was just speaking to a girl who told me she wants to do Law in KCL, and she told me her brother got 12 A*s and she got 8 A*s. Me and my brothers went to state schools and I never got a single A*, one had mostly Cs and one had mostly Ds. So I've done much better than my brothers.

At first I thought wow for both to get such good grades they must have really good parents. But then I decided to ask "Do you go to a private school or state school?" She answered "Private school."

For both to have done so well having gone to a private school, I'm assuming this a common thing? Where as my school is a band 1 state school (Top band) and the highest achieved grade was 11 A* and 1 A, the second was 7A* and it went down from there out of 200 people. My GCSEs were considered well above average for my school. I can't however apply to the top Universities because my GCSEs aren't as good compared to, say, people on TSR and I am a hard worker.

Before anyone tries telling me their own opinion here are some facts taken from the BBC.

More than half of all students in Private schools come out with A or A* GCSE grades.
38% of all children getting three As or better at A-level are from Private schools.

Hard work has nothing to do with intelligence, other people in your school proved it was possible to get higher grades than you did, maybe you just aren't as clever as they are. You are also mixing up education with qualifications, with the wide access to free information in this country there is no reason why anybody who wants to educate themselves can't. Public schools are just better qualification factories than state schools.
Reply 74

Sad fact of reality really. Private Schools aren't the be all and end all but you get what you pay for; rigorous education, small group teaching, hitory of academic excellent and a good track record of getting students into the mot prestigious universities andd courses. That's not to say you can't achieve that at a state school and most universities have good and extensive widening access schemes but it means you may have to work a bit harder than say a peer at a private school.

You are right it is not fair and Private School should be banned so everyone has the same advantage and you will also find the proportion of students in oxbridge,is higher than it should be based,on the people who went to private school.I have also found that intelligence,isn't largely based on genetic factors but more environmental factors,my parents aren't very intelligent.
Reply 76
Original post by chapman.
Hmm I don't see how that could be right, due to the obscene amounts some private schools charge. It has to go somewhere right?

I think you are underestimating the costs of running a school. Yes in some private schools the teachers get paid more but not in the vast majority.

They attract better, more knowledgeable teachers with higher salaries/more interesting students.
I've noticed that many private schools seem to have dedicated teachers who provide fantastic resources e.g. in maths having a teacher who runs help sessions at lunch/after school, has a website set up for help and past papers etc. I'm not saying state schools don't do this, but private schools generally do this to a greater extent.
The students themselves generally have better work ethic due to (normally having) a middle-class background and successful parents.
You might not want to believe it, but the average intelligence at private schools tends to be higher than at state schools (due to nature and nurture - both the parents' genes and their backgrounds). This doesn't really impact the grades directly as such, but the work ethic is what I'd say does.
When you don't have any 'delinquents' (for want of a better word) causing chaos in every lesson, it certainly helps. Also with so many people going to Oxbridge and other top unis, it's normal for the next cohort to aim high too. At state schools it's difficult to be the first Oxbridge student.
The resources and facilities mean a lot - when you can teach with 5:1 ratios, provide the latest textbooks, computer facilities etc. it really boosts learning.

Source: I've been through both private (scholarship) and state education, and this is what I've noticed.
Reply 78
Original post by theonefrombrum
I think that it's time that people became more responsible for their own learning and didn't have such a reliance on the education system to teach them everything that they need to know. Sure, they can and should introduce you to what you need to know but if you really want to acheive great grades, it's up to you to spend the time revising and learning the stuff in your own time and not just depending on your teachers to miraculously instill in you all the knowledge that you'll need to get an A*. I know people who went to state schools (school i went to) and did amazingly well because their dedication to doing the best that they could was matched with a realisation that they had to put the hours in themselves.

Really, what can private schools do that teachers in state schools can't or don't? Sing the maths to you? Read the English poems to you in a funny voice and dance as you contemplate the effect of a sonnet on the reader? No, the knowledge to be given is the same and while the methods of teaching may vary, the style adopted by private school teachers wont be so advanced and great as to negate that used by teachers in state schools.

Moral of that was - rely on yourself and you'll do well, rely on others and it's more dependent on their merits and motivation to want to help you

IMAGINE THAT?! How dare they demand that they be taught in school, it's not as if they devote 6 hours a day to it for 11 years.

I agree that self teaching is vital for the top grades, but it's something most state school students are extremely unlikely to do. This isn't because they are lazy, but because they've never been given the motivation / knowledge that it's necessary (+ they're often less ambitious due to teachers and parents). Most privately educated students will have financially successful parents, who will make it clear how important universities and grades are. I'm generalising here of course, as there are plenty of state school students who find the motivation to self teach themselves, but they are in the minority unfortunately.
Reply 79
Is it fair for someone with money to be denied the liberty to pay for a good education?

I think the problem is poor state schools to be honest, the system needs more discipline and vast improvements.

Also, private school kids have rich parents. Rich parents tend to be intelligent, so the intelligent genes tend to get passed on, which obviously enhances GCSE results. This is something people often forget.

It's worth noting that well-off kids are generally better behaved - obviously there's some b*stard rich kids and really well behaved, hard working kids from council estates. This reduces academic performance and contributes to the social stigma in state schools that working hard and getting good grades is uncool.

Original post by Drewski
Why is it fair for someone with more money to have better clothes than me?

That's a bit different, the argument here is that the kids themselves have no control over whether their parents can afford private school. Thus, is it fair that some kids get a better start in life than others?

Quoted the posters below as you what I've mentioned above sort of responds to your points :smile:

So you think there's a different atmosphere in private schools? Interesting.

Private schools produce higher grades than state schools. So rich people are more intelligent than less wealthy people?
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending