The Student Room Group

OCR ADVANCING PHYSICS B G494 EXAM MONDAY 18th June

Okay, so now G495 is out of the way, roll on Rise and Fall of The Clockwork Universe. Any revision materials/ tips / questions/ discussions of past papers welcome :-)

Okay, so following the suggestion of Oromis (the physics revision God of TSR, clearly :-P [It's okay for me to take the mick, I know him]) I'm updating this post with the revision materials/ links that I've put up so far, and I'll continue to do so when other people add things in- just draw my attention (via quoting) to something you think should be posted up here and I'll edit it in.

So, here again is the link to the Matthew Arnold Moodle; http://83.170.93.38/~matthew/course/view.php?id=62 for all those past paper materials and mark schemes, as well as some other resources (Choose guest access if it asks you to log in)

Attached to the post is my revision checklist for the entire exam (adapted from the specification, so hopefully is quite complete). Also attached are my notes for Chapter 10.

And here's the list of chapters/ topics for the exam:
Chapter 10: Creating Models (oscillators, SHM, capacitance, advantages and disadvantages of modelling techniques)
Chapter 11: Out Into Space (gravity, circular motion (inc. orbits) forces and momentum)
Chapter 12: Our Place in the Universe (relativity, Doppler shift, Big Bang Theory, gamma factor, distances in space)
Chapter 13: Matter: Very Simple (gas laws, kinetic model of particles)
Chapter 14: Matter: Very Hot and Very Cold (energy, activation processes, Boltzmann)

There's also this site from a school that does OCR Advancing Physics; http://www.gosford-hill.oxon.sch.uk/physics/html/helpforstudents.html It's got some notes, and some useful general information at the bottom, including "The whole A2 course on two sides of A4" checklist. :-)

Edit: Why the neg? Confused :-S
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I particularly like how you get very calm when you reach the date (talking about the title). :smile:
Reply 2
Going to wait for Oromis to post all the answers :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Oromis263
I particularly like how you get very calm when you reach the date (talking about the title). :smile:

Yeah, I'm not sure why June is in lowercase. It's not a particularly soothing month.
Reply 4
Original post by hughh20
Going to wait for Oromis to post all the answers :smile:

Answers to G495? There's no way I'm going to remember the questions now.

If you mean this exam, you'll be waiting until Thursday evening, as I have got Chemistry and Core 4 between now and then. After that it will be full steam ahead with this exam and I'll start trying to pick out particularly hard questions etc. :smile:
Reply 5
Okay, so the textbook chapter topics for this exam are;
Chapter 10: Creating Models- oscillators, SHM, capacitors, advantages/disadvantages of modelling techniques,
Chapter 11: Out Into Space- orbits, gravity, circular motion, forces & momentum
Chapter 12: Our Place in the Universe- gamma factor, Doppler shift, distances in space, relativity
Chapter 13: Matter: Very Simple- gas laws, kinetic model of particles
Chapter 14: Matter: Very Hot and Very Cold- energy, boltzmann, activation processes
Where do you think the hardest areas are? What are the most challenging topics that we should focus on? :-)
Reply 6
Original post by PhysicsGirl
Okay, so the textbook chapter topics for this exam are;
Chapter 10: Creating Models- oscillators, SHM, capacitors, advantages/disadvantages of modelling techniques,
Chapter 11: Out Into Space- orbits, gravity, circular motion, forces & momentum
Chapter 12: Our Place in the Universe- gamma factor, Doppler shift, distances in space, relativity
Chapter 13: Matter: Very Simple- gas laws, kinetic model of particles
Chapter 14: Matter: Very Hot and Very Cold- energy, boltzmann, activation processes
Where do you think the hardest areas are? What are the most challenging topics that we should focus on? :-)

Bits in bold only I want to go over, bits in bold AND underlined are (personally) the more challenging parts of this exam. :smile:
Reply 7
Just to quickly mention this to anyone who didn't already see the various links from the G495 thread, the Matthew Arnold School Moodle has a lot of resources (including nearly all of the past papers and mark schemes), here; http://83.170.93.38/~matthew/login/index.php - if it asks you to log in, select log in as quest and follow to the science/physics AS and A2 pages and you'll find a ton of helpful material :-)
Reply 8
Just to quickly mention this to anyone who didn't already see the various links from the G495 thread, the Matthew Arnold School Moodle has a lot of resources (including nearly all of the past papers and mark schemes), here; http://83.170.93.38/~matthew/login/index.php - if it asks you to log in, select log in as quest and follow to the science/physics AS and A2 pages and you'll find a ton of helpful material :-)

Update the first post with this information, and perhaps your chapter listing. Make it pretty. :')
Reply 9
A few months ago, I went through the specification for the G494 exam (sometimes referred to as module 1 of A2) and rewrote it in a different, hopefully more understandable/ easier to revise from form, as a revision checklist (see attached). Essentially, I've tried to follow the original specification as closely as possible, and split each chapter into headings-
1) Be able to describe and explain:
2) Technical terms to know and use:
3) Relationships and graphs that you need to be able to use and interpret:
4) Mathematics you need to be able to do:
and 5) Formulae that you should feel comfortable using:
Obviously, I'm not infallible, so if you notice anything that you think I've not included but that is clearly on the specification, just let me know and I'll do my best to alter it :-) Thanks.
Reply 10
Relativity stuff is dreadful ! My teacher didn't really teach it properly... Also the book is useless. -_-

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 11
Original post by xiyangliu
Relativity stuff is dreadful ! My teacher didn't really teach it properly... Also the book is useless. -_-

If you don't like the textbook, have you tried the CGP revision guide? It's covers most topics reasonably, explains things clearly and whilst it's not too expensive, it's quite popular, so you can often find copies at libraries if you don't want to buy it this close to the exam. And I'm sure there are several other good revision guides out there, (CGP are just the ones I've been used to) anyone want to jump in and recommend any? There's also the online textbook, which can be found here; http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/A-level_Physics_(Advancing_Physics)

If you go through past paper questions on relativity (the moodle site linked above does give the past exam questions organised by chapter if that's easier) and just post the ones you get stuck on in this thread, someone will be able point you in the right direction. Good luck! :-)
Reply 12
My (brief) revision notes for Chapter 10 are attached. I've cobbled them together from my lesson notes, using the textbook and the CGP revision guide to fill in the gaps, and as always, tried to follow specification. Underlined words are those defined as key technical terms by the specification, and as such should be used (appropriately, of course) as much as possible when answering exam questions :-) If anyone else has a set of notes they'd like to share that would be greatly appreciated :-)
Reply 13
My (brief) revision notes for Chapter 10 are attached. I've cobbled them together from my lesson notes, using the textbook and the CGP revision guide to fill in the gaps, and as always, tried to follow specification. Underlined words are those defined as key technical terms by the specification, and as such should be used (appropriately, of course) as much as possible when answering exam questions :-) If anyone else has a set of notes they'd like to share that would be greatly appreciated :-)

What on Earth is that font. :wink:
Reply 14
Original post by Oromis263
What on Earth is that font. :wink:

Shush. It's fun and jazzy :tongue: :biggrin:
Reply 15
Original post by Dhanu123
can't actually start until i'm done with my C3 retake, but how is everyone feeling?

Hello :-) When's your C3 retake? I'm feeling better about G494 than I was about G495, and hopefully it'll go better as well *fingers crossed*. How are you feeling?
P.s I hope you don't mind, but I've replied on the 'other' G494 thread, in case you find any of the resources on here helpful.
Reply 16
Whats the overall percentage for an A overall in physics ?

Reply 17
If you don't like the textbook, have you tried the CGP revision guide? It's covers most topics reasonably, explains things clearly and whilst it's not too expensive, it's quite popular, so you can often find copies at libraries if you don't want to buy it this close to the exam. And I'm sure there are several other good revision guides out there, (CGP are just the ones I've been used to) anyone want to jump in and recommend any? There's also the online textbook, which can be found here; http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/A-level_Physics_(Advancing_Physics)

If you go through past paper questions on relativity (the moodle site linked above does give the past exam questions organised by chapter if that's easier) and just post the ones you get stuck on in this thread, someone will be able point you in the right direction. Good luck! :-)

Thx :wink: I find it very useful ^_^

Reply 18
Original post by xiyangliu
Whats the overall percentage for an A overall in physics ?

80%, so that's 480 UMS out of a maximum of 600.
Reply 19
Hello :-) When's your C3 retake? I'm feeling better about G494 than I was about G495, and hopefully it'll go better as well *fingers crossed*. How are you feeling?
P.s I hope you don't mind, but I've replied on the 'other' G494 thread, in case you find any of the resources on here helpful.

I got really confused then, I didn't know how I ended up on there :P
I have mixed opinions, I felt alright about G495, but maybe cause I really put my head down into it:smile:
G494 will be tricky... I sat it in Jan and it was a nightmare. hopefully it'll be much better this time:biggrin:
C3 is on Thursday, but I did a past paper to see where i was standing in terms of knowledge and I got 86%, so I don't need that much revision for that.. might as well start physics now.

I'm predicting wordy questions on gas laws... and temperature i think.
im really hoping for lots of calculation questions :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending