Trafford centre + meadowhall shopping centre (:
Anyone got the case study of
Mumbai please?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1362
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeek! tomorrow!
TOMORROW D: :eek:
Reply 1364
For the conflict section is there anything that i can exclude revising and will most likely not come up in the short answers. Also any Predictions?
Original post by VanessaXD
im gna die if the 40 marker on world cities is something like "economic development and change related to urbanisation" ¬.¬

Haha if it's on that, there will be an outcry! :colone:
Reply 1366
Original post by smellycat123
Okay just wrote a plan for a question which could come up for the plate tectonics essay...
"Discuss the extent to which volcanic and seismic events are major factors towards proving plate tectonics theory is valid"

Any feedback would be greaaaat :smile::smile:

INTRO
-Explination of plate tectonics theory.. convection currents created by radioactive decay causing the movement of plate
-where convection currents diverge crust is created, where the converge crust is destoryed etc.
-Lots of evidence to support this theory from Alfred Wegner's findings of 'continetal fit' etc and also the location of seismic and volcanic events largely occouring on plate bounderies

PARA 1
-Majority of volcanic and seismic events follow plate bounderies, e.g pacific 'ring of fire'
-E.g destructive margins such as Nazca plate subducting under South American plate. Volcanic erruptions in the Andes a result of this such as Nivardo Del Ruiz 1985 erruption
-Conservative margins create earthquakes e.g San adreas fault - creating earthquakes in San Fransisco e.g 1989

PARA 2
-Evidence of paleomagnetism at conservetive bouderies, new crust created at these bouderies e.g mid atlantic ridge. This in time creates islands such as Iceland and Surtsey -1965
-Fissure erruptions take place here - basaltic, runny lava... e.g Eijafjallajokul erruption 2010

PARA 3
-Some volcanos/earthquakes occour away from plate bounderies
-Such as central china - earthquakes created by faults.. e.g Longmenshan fault in Sichuan created by stresses in the crust between Sichuan basin and tibetan plateu.
-Some beleive the Sichuan earthquake of 2008 to be caused by the building of zipingpu dam 500m from the Longmenshan fault rather than due to plate movement

PARA 4
-Hot spots found away from plate bounderies
-E.g Hawaii 3000km from the nearest plate boundery ... could suggest plate tectonics theory is not valid

PARA 5
-Other evidence such as continental fit, fossil evidence (mesosaurous), glacial deposits etc

CONC
-overall does provide sufficient evidence.. (cant think of a good conclusion!)

The Hawaiian Islands are evidence that the theory is valid-they occur in a north-westerly straight line which shows the movement of the pacific plate over a hot spot. It's explained in the AQA text book.
actually can't wait for the exam tomorrow, and i'm not even joking! :biggrin:
Reply 1368
Original post by emilysadlerx
Mumbai please?

Yes, the case study an urbanisation one and was on the Dharavi Slum in Mumbai. Which is known as the biggest slum in Asia.
They had plans for development of Dharavi. This gave many advantages to the people of Dharavi. Doctors, had better working places which less disease and chances of contamination (better health care...etc), however since they were making more money the housing fees increased for them. The residents that have been living there since 1997 had the opportunity to help decide how the area would redevelop. Residents that lived there since 1991 where given free housing, better living facilities, however, they maybe separated from friends and local family.

You can also look at pg136-138 in your textbook there is more information there.
Original post by student1234567891
actually can't wait for the exam tomorrow, and i'm not even joking! :biggrin:

i know i don't feel the pressure for some reason! lol
Does anyone have the January 2012 paper???

I keep swinging from 'I can actually do this - its not THAT bad' to 'OH DEAR GOD THIS IS GOING TO GO HORRIBLY' :L I'm hoping that the former is how I really feel tomorrow xD

ha, its gonna be a great exam, i can feel it! why is everyone panicking :P i might have to come off here till after the exam because of the panic haha
Reply 1373
do you reckon its ok not to study any sustainability and management content for the world city essay as it has come up in the last 2 papers?
Original post by student1234567891
ha, its gonna be a great exam, i can feel it! why is everyone panicking :P i might have to come off here till after the exam because of the panic haha

i have that feeling too.........plus if it was gonna be a bad exam the chief examiner would have warned us when he came in :P (:
i have that feeling too.........plus if it was gonna be a bad exam the chief examiner would have warned us when he came in :P (:

haha i know! what did the chief examiner tell you guys?!
[QUOTE="MsAtanda;38057001"]
Original post by emilysadlerx
Mumbai please?

Yes, the case study an urbanisation one and was on the Dharavi Slum in Mumbai. Which is known as the biggest slum in Asia.
They had plans for development of Dharavi. This gave many advantages to the people of Dharavi. Doctors, had better working places which less disease and chances of contamination (better health care...etc), however since they were making more money the housing fees increased for them. The residents that have been living there since 1997 had the opportunity to help decide how the area would redevelop. Residents that lived there since 1991 where given free housing, better living facilities, however, they maybe separated from friends and local family.

You can also look at pg136-138 in your textbook there is more information there.

Ok thanks, what sort of organisations in Mumbai were there to help? :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1377

haha, when our class went to a conference with him, he said that he'd ''created this paper and he is proud of it, we should have fun'' very sarcastically! So who knows what he meant? :frown:
is it too wierd to say that studys show toads can predict earthquakes if there was an essay on earthquake prediction? hahaha
Original post by M.dale
haha, when our class went to a conference with him, he said that he'd ''created this paper and he is proud of it, we should have fun'' very sarcastically! So who knows what he meant? :frown:

Oh great, that means awkwardly written questions then. :angry:

Quick Reply

Latest