The Student Room Group

OCR Gateway Biology B456 12 June?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by QuantumSuicide
Menstrual cycle: FSH, LH, oestrogen, progesterone etc.
Adrenaline makes the heart beat faster...
Pituitary gland...
Growth hormone > dwarfism, giantism
Anti-diuretic hormone.

Thankyouu :smile:
Reply 21
I'm doing it, is it me or are the boundaries really Low? Pretty sure it's only around 42/60 to get an a*? ...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 22
Original post by chelseafan
The cgp books help imessenly. Today im just doing past papers and reading over the cgp book. What are the things likely to come up?

Same! These Are helping loads!

Does anyone get Tidal Air/Vital Capacity/Residual Air ??
Original post by KatiexZoe
I'm doing it, is it me or are the boundaries really Low? Pretty sure it's only around 42/60 to get an a*? ...

Yeah i think so, all the past papers have been around 42. Trouble is im scraping A's with past papers and i really need a/a*...
The grade boundaries may seem low but you will be surprised at how easily the marks can add up. The mark schemes are also very specific unfortunately.

How did you guys find it? Grade boundary thoughts?
Actually pretty easy for most of it. But i had no clue for the last page.
Original post by chelseafan
Actually pretty easy for most of it. But i had no clue for the last page.

Lol, which question? What did you get for the percentage question? Luteinising graph? Which part of the heart was it in the diagram? What did you write for plastic bag question?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 29
Lol, which question? What did you get for the percentage question? Luteinising graph? Which part of the heart was it in the diagram? What did you write for plastic bag question?

I got 5% for the percentage one!
I wasn't at all sure about the luteinising graph thingy, I just did it like a hill, [down up down] and made it peak on day 14 but I doubt that's right!
And for the heart I put atria but I don't think that's right either!
Plastic bag: I put about less heat so less random water molecule movement and therefore less transpiration. And about less air movement so less water expelled from stomata.
Original post by helloyou
I got 5% for the percentage one!
I wasn't at all sure about the luteinising graph thingy, I just did it like a hill, [down up down] and made it peak on day 14 but I doubt that's right!
And for the heart I put atria but I don't think that's right either!
Plastic bag: I put about less heat so less random water molecule movement and therefore less transpiration. And about less air movement so less water expelled from stomata.

Yes, 5% is right for the trophic question. I did the same as you for the lutenising graph too which is also probably correct (google LH graph) and for the heart I put pulmonary artery. I think that's correct, it can't have been aorta. Totally messed up the plastic bag question. At first I wrote it decreases and then changed my mind. How many marks for that question?

Restriction enzyme for the last question?
15% bone risk for Barry?
Magnesium deficiency = yellow leaves?
Ladybird question?
Snake question?
Kidney & liver for the two choices from the organs?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 31

Luteinising graph = really slight curve, but a dramatic peak at day 14, and then a slight curve (it's hard to explain)

Percentage = 5% I think? And 15% for the 72 year old man one.

Pulmonary Artery

At first I had a little panic but I figured it out. I put it will move 3cm as there will be no air movement and the air will become humid meaning more water vapour will surround the leaves of the plant and therefore water won't be lost through osmosis. I put something about the temperature, how that will increase but the other two factors will outweigh it, or something.

What did ya'll put for the water-logged disadvantages for the plant?
Reply 32
Yes, 5% is right for the trophic question. I did the same as you for the lutenising graph too which is also probably correct (google LH graph) and for the heart I put pulmonary artery. I think that's correct, it can't have been aorta. Totally messed up the plastic bag question. At first I wrote it decreases and then changed my mind. How many marks for that question?

Restriction enzyme for the last question?
15% bone risk for Barry?
Magnesium deficiency = yellow leaves?
Ladybird question?
Snake question?
Kidney & liver for the two choices from the organs?

First question was 4 marks. I think it did decrease?

Yes, yes and yes, can't remember, can't remember, yes. (I think)
Original post by zangorou
Luteinising graph = really slight curve, but a dramatic peak at day 14, and then a slight curve (it's hard to explain)

Percentage = 5% I think? And 15% for the 72 year old man one.

Pulmonary Artery

At first I had a little panic but I figured it out. I put it will move 3cm as there will be no air movement and the air will become humid meaning more water vapour will surround the leaves of the plant and therefore water won't be lost through osmosis. I put something about the temperature, how that will increase but the other two factors will outweigh it, or something.

What did ya'll put for the water-logged disadvantages for the plant?

Removes nitrates so photosynthesis slows down.
What about cholera and how it is spread and about Britain?
How did you join up the nitrifying bacteria?
The top two go down and the bottom two go to the top box?
Reply 36
I think I mentioned something about nutrients, structure and god knows what else (I wrote a whole paragraph for that in the hope something would be right)

What about cholera and how it is spread and about Britain?

Cholera is spread by the contamination of water which has usually been contaminated by faeces.
Britain doesn't experience many cholera outbreaks as natural disasters are rare and people often have fresh water supplies.
Original post by zangorou
I think I mentioned something about nutrients, structure and god knows what else (I wrote a whole paragraph for that in the hope something would be right)

Cholera is spread by the contamination of water which has usually been contaminated by faeces.
Britain doesn't experience many cholera outbreaks as natural disasters are rare and people often have fresh water supplies.

Wrote exactly the same thing.
Reply 38
How did you join up the nitrifying bacteria?
The top two go down and the bottom two go to the top box?

nitrifying bacteria - nitrosomonas and nitrobacter

nitrigen fixing bacteria - azobactor, rhizibium, clossidium(?) can't remember which two out of them were there
What do you think the grade boundaries will be?

Quick Reply

Latest