The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

York certainly does for BA Management
University websites tell a different tale to the UCAS website...most of the unis I've looked at for philosophy haven't said anything about not accepting general studies, but UCAS insists that it's not going to be considered. I find it slightly perturbing.
Reply 22
koreotomero
University websites tell a different tale to the UCAS website...most of the unis I've looked at for philosophy haven't said anything about not accepting general studies, but UCAS insists that it's not going to be considered. I find it slightly perturbing.
UCAS posts the information provided to them by the unis. You will need to check individually what the position is; it sometimes changes but the unis don't update their UCAS accordingly.

You may find that there is a uni wide policy not to accept general studies (this is true of Oxbridge, for example) and therefore it's not mentioned in individual course entries. You should check the section that's usually called something 'general entrance requirements' which sets out the minimum qualifications the uni can accept for an undergraduate entrant. This is where you find the bit about essential GCSEs, for instance.
Reply 23
my sheffield offer for economics was BBB, not excluding general studies
Reply 24
Minerva
UCAS posts the information provided to them by the unis. You will need to check individually what the position is; it sometimes changes but the unis don't update their UCAS accordingly.

You may find that there is a uni wide policy not to accept general studies (this is true of Oxbridge, for example) and therefore it's not mentioned in individual course entries. You should check the section that's usually called something 'general entrance requirements' which sets out the minimum qualifications the uni can accept for an undergraduate entrant. This is where you find the bit about essential GCSEs, for instance.

Some uni's don't mention it at all. For example Aston for Bsc Business Management say;

Typical offers:
A Levels: 340-320 UCAS points (AAB-ABB)

Specific subject requirements:
GCSE Maths – grade C
GCSE English – grade C

They also state on another page that Key skills are not accepted but no mention of GS.

I have emailed them but no reply yet, I guess they are pretty busy this time of year, any idea?

Okay Sorry I've done more research right into the archives of ABS and found an FAQ which states;

Frequently Asked Questions
Your answer
Your question: Do you accept General Studies?
Your Answer: Yes

Problem solved. I also can now rest safe with the fact I should get in easily :smile:
Sheffield do for Politics, one of the best departments in the country. I don't think that will last for much longer from what I remember the admissions tutor saying on the open day though.
Reply 26
Lancaster does
Reply 27
Loughborough accepts it as one of your alevels for English.
Sheffield does for architecture, god knows why, but I'm not complaining

Latest

Trending

Trending