The Student Room Group

HELP!

OK, this is just theoretical. But in the chance that come results day, I do better than expected and get something along the lines of AAA-AAB, I would want to go to a better university that I have chosen as Firm and Insurance (Uni of Hertfordshire), I am stuck with how I would go about doing it, and whether it's worth taking a year out to go somewhere like LSE.
Original post by Harry1
OK, this is just theoretical. But in the chance that come results day, I do better than expected and get something along the lines of AAA-AAB, I would want to go to a better university that I have chosen as Firm and Insurance (Uni of Hertfordshire), I am stuck with how I would go about doing it, and whether it's worth taking a year out to go somewhere like LSE.

Check UCAS adjustment. It's for people who exceed their first choice's grades and want to try somewhere else. You can keep your place, and if you don't find anything, still go to your firm.

I should imagine your chances are significantly reduced, but if there are course spaces left, and you have the grades, then they may take you.
LSE won't be in Adjustment.
Reply 3
Where do I find this adjustment though? I tried 'Tracking' on UCAS but nothing, does it appear on the day?
Original post by Harry1
Where do I find this adjustment though? I tried 'Tracking' on UCAS but nothing, does it appear on the day?

http://www.ucas.com/students/nextsteps/adjustment/
http://www.ucas.com/students/nextsteps/adjustment/facts
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Thanks for your help.
Reply 6
So what type of uni's will be in adjustment then?
Original post by Harry1
So what type of uni's will be in adjustment then?

Nobody can tell you that, really (although some like LSE have made it fairly clear that they aren't involved in it.) There isn't a list of places, unlike Clearing. It's done by phoning round and asking on an individual basis. Be aware that Adjustment, whilst a charming idea in theory, in practice isn't a huge success, because universities simply don't keep places aside on the offchance. In the last 3 years (which is how long it's been going on, unless I've forgotten a year) around 400 people a year have found places through it, which is a miniscule number compared with the number of applicants. I've spoken to admissions statisticians at Leeds for the last two years about how it's worked out and they get maybe 20 or so, mainly for their engineering courses, which are undersubscribed anyway. This seems to be par for the course. There's supposedly more chance of a BBB offer holder finding something than someone holding an AAB offer. The thing to remember is that although it's a risk free oportunity, since you don't lose your place at your firm, it's also very unlikely to lead anywhere and the window of opportunity is only 5 days, so decisions have to be made very fast. It's not a strategy to count on - the places just aren't there. Universities calibrate very carefully how many offers to make because they get fined for going over or under their targets.
Reply 8
OK thanks.
Say I opt for adjustment, but don't find a place and would then rather take the year out to ensure I get a better university. Is that an option?
Original post by Harry1
OK thanks.
Say I opt for adjustment, but don't find a place and would then rather take the year out to ensure I get a better university. Is that an option?

If you want me next time, quote me, otherwise I can't see.

To be honest, it depends on your course. For many courses, outside of Oxbridge it doesn't matter a whole lot where you go. Also consider that LSE is very competitive (some may even say elitist), so even if you meet their requirements, you won't 'ensure' you get a place.
Original post by Harry1
OK thanks.

Yes, it is an option.

How are you judging 'better', though?
Reply 11
Original post by TheSownRose
Yes, it is an option.

How are you judging 'better', though?

Well by judging better I mean not going to somewhere like the University of Hertfordshire for the year and applying next year for somewhere like LSE.
Original post by Harry1
Well by judging better I mean not going to somewhere like the University of Hertfordshire for the year and applying next year for somewhere like LSE.

That's a considerable jump.
Original post by Harry1

That's not really what I meant...

You picked Hertfordshire for some reason, I presume? Why is it now not the right choice?
Reply 14
Original post by TheSownRose
That's not really what I meant...

You picked Hertfordshire for some reason, I presume? Why is it now not the right choice?

Sorry. I'm aware it's a big jump, but I just simply underestimated myself if I'm honest.
I've applied for mostly BBB-BBC when I'm working at AAA-AAB, and just thought I'd lose out if I didn't work at my ability.
I want to do History, or Economic History.
Reply 15
Re-applying and taking a gap year seems the best option for you. It's so much less stressful applying to universities when you already know if you meet their grade requirements.

Quick Reply

Latest