The Student Room Group

The unconventional life

So, I am a girl who's 20 years old and I have unreal career plans. I also want to travel all round the world.

I guess a lot of people have these plans. I, however don't want and doubt I will ever want a marriage or children. I have never wanted these things, I don't see the appeal and this nuclear life is not for me. The only thing I want in the future is a job I love and lots of travel stories, and to be free to go wherever I want whenever I want. I was just wondering if anyone else out there also doesn't want these things. I always feel a bit different that I don't want these things. Just always kinda feel like i'm the only one. Anyone else, guys or girls feel this way too?
Reply 1
I'm only 17 mind, but travelling and living all around Earth is number 1 or 2 of my life ambitions definately, although I wouldn't rule out starting a family and settling down at some point.

Early days yet though eh.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
It's not quite the same but I find myself to be incredibly maternal but I absolutely despise the idea of slowing down my career to make time for looking after my children. I really want to push myself and really excel at doing what I love, but I also really want children, and the two don't tend to go together :frown:
Reply 3
Many people look at me strangely as I show no interest in any form of long term commitment. Either marriage or children. From an onlookers perspective it does not appeal to me in the slightest.

I am young and I don't want to be held down in one place because of my family and have that responsibility for going through the same mundane normalcy all families have. (Take the kids to school, buy them clothes blah blah blah.) No, I would prefer to do what I want, pick a career I choose and not what has the best hours, location etc that would benefit my family life schedule. I also wish to spend my hard earned money to travel around the world rather than buy nappies for example.

That's my view anyway and I'm not against those who are set for having families. It is just not for me which most of my friends and family cannot seem to accept.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
It's not quite the same but I find myself to be incredibly maternal but I absolutely despise the idea of slowing down my career to make time for looking after my children. I really want to push myself and really excel at doing what I love, but I also really want children, and the two don't tend to go together :frown:

Sure it does. Start your own business and work from home! Be a Mumpreneur! #Escapetheratrace
Reply 5
Original post by The_Jammy_Witch
Sure it does. Start your own business and work from home! Be a Mumpreneur! #Escapetheratrace

But that limits what you can do... And you can't travel. I guess although I do get strange looks forr saying I don't want marriage and children I don't have to decide between a career or children because I don't want the latter at all. Just nice to know I'm not the only one in the world who feels this. I just feel like its going to be an issue in any relationship I have as well...
But that limits what you can do... And you can't travel. I guess although I do get strange looks forr saying I don't want marriage and children I don't have to decide between a career or children because I don't want the latter at all. Just nice to know I'm not the only one in the world who feels this. I just feel like its going to be an issue in any relationship I have as well...

No no no, I mean an internet-based business! Think of the possibilities.

Try not to jail yourself with your current ideas about what you want. You don't have to sign a contract at any point saying 'I don't want kids or any of that malarkey'. It's fine that you feel as you do now..... and if you do end up changing your mind, that's fine too.

In other words, don't worry about it.
Reply 7
I guess I'm similar. I'd love to travel the world, meet lots of new people and live for myself and how I want for a while - I don't see myself as the sort of person to get married or have children in a rush, although I don't think I'd rule out either in the long run. I'm 17 and I know people in my year that are engaged and already planning when to have kids - to me, that's crazy. I'd much rather focus on myself and my career for a decade or so rather than jump straight into marriage and children without having had time to enjoy life for myself, and earn a decent living.

I do think it'd be nice to have someone to travel with though. I wouldn't mind being in a long-term relationship with someone and travelling around the world, I just don't see the rush to marry and have children. I think the idea of luxuries for myself exceeds the interest I'd have in raising kids. Besides, there is a whole life ahead of me for that, so I'd rather enjoy myself whilst I'm young. I also find the idea of planning my life out quite boring and mediocre. The idea of not knowing what I'll be doing and where I'll be in 10 years time is far more exciting to me than knowing that I'm going to be married with x amount of children. Just going with the flow.
Reply 8
So, I am a girl who's 20 years old and I have unreal career plans. I also want to travel all round the world.

I guess a lot of people have these plans. I, however don't want and doubt I will ever want a marriage or children. I have never wanted these things, I don't see the appeal and this nuclear life is not for me. The only thing I want in the future is a job I love and lots of travel stories, and to be free to go wherever I want whenever I want. I was just wondering if anyone else out there also doesn't want these things. I always feel a bit different that I don't want these things. Just always kinda feel like i'm the only one. Anyone else, guys or girls feel this way too?

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Do you mean that you wish to travel the world AS your job, or INSTEAD of? Or do you mean that you want to have a very good job WHILST you are travelling the world, in which case you'll be limited to how often and when you can do this by your holiday allowance?
Reply 9

yes im the same

Are you me?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending