The Student Room Group

Access Course fees - Advice needed.

Hello fellow mature students. :wavey:

I have a query and I am hoping someone would be able to provide me with a definitive answer as I am unable to locate it online. Unfortunately, the idea to actually post the question on here only came after hours of trawling through the depths of Yahoo answers. :sigh:

So, I am looking to start an Access Course in Humanities in Sept 2012. I am 22 and I am wondering whether I will have to pay the course fees. After looking on the internet I understand that if this is my first level 3 qualification then I will have to pay nothing. I have, however, studied A levels previously and dropped out after my atrocious AS level results (personal problems/lack of determination etc etc - It's funny how I feel the need to explain myself although I doubt people will judge seeing as many of us are in the same boat :smile: ). I did sit my AS exams and failed most of them but did receive a D grade in Sociology. Does this technically mean that I have achieved a level 3 qualification?

I'd like to note that the terms and conditions according to the website for the college I am hoping to attend does state that you will pay if you have completed a FULL level 3 qualification - I am hoping this means I am able to gain access on to the course without paying the fees as this will allow me to concentrate on studying rather than worrying about how many hours I will need to accumulate at work to cover the course fees and travel costs.

Hope someone can shed some light on this for me. Thanks!

Marc
Hey there,

Short answer: I don't know. Really, I would call the tutor at whatever college you're considering attending. Have to point out though, that if you haven't already booked a place you could be too late for 2012. My Access tutor starts interviewing for places in May, so you need to get in contact quickly.

In the event that you can't start the course this year, I've been told that from 2013 FE student loans are being introduced (since 2012 is the last year of funding for Access, apparently). These are supposed to work in the same way as HE loans, with repayments not being expected until you earn a certain amount of money. Also, they won't effect HE funding for University. This is still a crappy deal (for people getting left without funding), but at least there's another avenue available for people who can't or don't want to pay up front.

Anyway, sorry I couldn't answer your question directly. I'd definitely call an Access tutor who should be able to explain everything.

And good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Reply 2
Original post by MarcJBrown

I have a query and I am hoping someone would be able to provide me with a definitive answer as I am unable to locate it online. Unfortunately, the idea to actually post the question on here only came after hours of trawling through the depths of Yahoo answers. :sigh:

So, I am looking to start an Access Course in Humanities in Sept 2012. I am 22 and I am wondering whether I will have to pay the course fees. After looking on the internet I understand that if this is my first level 3 qualification then I will have to pay nothing. I have, however, studied A levels previously and dropped out after my atrocious AS level results (personal problems/lack of determination etc etc - It's funny how I feel the need to explain myself although I doubt people will judge seeing as many of us are in the same boat :smile: ). I did sit my AS exams and failed most of them but did receive a D grade in Sociology. Does this technically mean that I have achieved a level 3 qualification?

I'd like to note that the terms and conditions according to the website for the college I am hoping to attend does state that you will pay if you have completed a FULL level 3 qualification - I am hoping this means I am able to gain access on to the course without paying the fees as this will allow me to concentrate on studying rather than worrying about how many hours I will need to accumulate at work to cover the course fees and travel costs.

Marc

I would contact the college.

If that fails, I know from when I did access a few years back. That you can get on the course for free if your claiming JSA.
Reply 3
Hello Vertigo2012. :smile: Thanks for your reply.

I forgot to add that I have already applied for the access course. I did mention to the adviser that I had dropped out of my A levels though I didn't specify that I had actually sat my AS exams. It was all a little rushed really as I had applied a few days over the entry date and I have now been invited to something called 'open enrollment'.
I had been certain that I would study with the OU and gain entry into a university using my credits gained but with the increased fees it means getting into a whole lot of debt and also takes away any extra options such as taking a foundation year at a better university or taking a 4 year degree course that involves a year studying abroad for example.

I may indeed have to take your advice and contact the college though, I was kind of hoping I wouldn't have to mention it to them and that they somehow didn't find out about it. I would be hugely disappointed if my one AS level that will never be useful will be the reason that I have to cover the costs. Though I do understand hiding this from them would be rather sneaky. :ninja:
Reply 4
Hello Vertigo2012. :smile: Thanks for your reply.

I forgot to add that I have already applied for the access course. I did mention to the adviser that I had dropped out of my A levels though I didn't specify that I had actually sat my AS exams. It was all a little rushed really as I had applied a few days over the entry date and I have now been invited to something called 'open enrollment'.
I had been certain that I would study with the OU and gain entry into a university using my credits gained but with the increased fees it means getting into a whole lot of debt and also takes away any extra options such as taking a foundation year at a better university or taking a 4 year degree course that involves a year studying abroad for example.

I may indeed have to take your advice and contact the college though, I was kind of hoping I wouldn't have to mention it to them and that they somehow didn't find out about it. I would be hugely disappointed if my one AS level that will never be useful will be the reason that I have to cover the costs. Though I do understand hiding this from them would be rather sneaky. :ninja:

You wont be able to hide it. The local authority will have records of past exams that the college would check for all people claiming a free entry.
Reply 5
First of all, good decision going to do an access course, I've just about finished mine in social science and humanities; best decision I made.

On the fees front, I was lucky in it being the last year before fees went up. That being said I went to sixth form, did AS, but dropped out also. I didn't have to pay the £800 course fees, just £90 or so.

However, if the rules changed, I'm pretty sure it's done in a similar manner to university and paid to the college via a loan which is then repayable upon your completion of uni and into work.

I wouldn't take that as gospel though, bet bet is to contact the college and/or student finance if they actually deal with college tuition as well; which I'm not sure if they do or not.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by dj1015
You wont be able to hide it. The local authority will have records of past exams that the college would check for all people claiming a free entry.

Darn! :unimpressed:
Reply 7

Marc

Hi
I have just finished studying for the access course and you haven't completed a level 3 qualification if you have done just your AS levels, so you should get the course for free!
Taking the Access course is the best decision I've made! Its a lot of hard work so makesure you're prepared for it!
Good luck
Reply 8
Original post by Lucy962
Hi
I have just finished studying for the access course and you haven't completed a level 3 qualification if you have done just your AS levels, so you should get the course for free!
Taking the Access course is the best decision I've made! Its a lot of hard work so makesure you're prepared for it!
Good luck

Great news! :ahee:
Original post by Lucy962
Hi
you haven't completed a level 3 qualification if you have done just your AS levels, so you should get the course for free!

Would definitely have thought this to be the case as I don't see how they can justify denying you funding for the sake of an AS Level.

Also have to agree with some of the comments above: deciding to take Access was probably the smartest decision I've made in years. This time last year I'd pretty much given up on the idea of going to University, and I ended up getting some really good offers (as well as meeting some brilliant people).
Reply 10
Here's hoping! :smile:

I cannot wait. I have pretty much decided what my 5 choices would be if I am able to achieve what I am setting out to. Keele looks perfect for me personally so that's my aim! Thanks for your feedback :biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my Desire HD
Here's hoping! :smile:

I cannot wait. I have pretty much decided what my 5 choices would be if I am able to achieve what I am setting out to. Keele looks perfect for me personally so that's my aim! Thanks for your feedback :biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my Desire HD

Hey marc :hi:

I am in exactly the same position and am really worried about this whole funding stuff, perhaps if either of us find something out for sure we should let each other know :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Make-Me-A-Geek
Hey marc :hi:

I am in exactly the same position and am really worried about this whole funding stuff, perhaps if either of us find something out for sure we should let each other know :smile:

Absolutely!

I'll pm you as soon as I enrol and find out what exactly the process is! :groovy:
Absolutely!

I'll pm you as soon as I enrol and find out what exactly the process is! :groovy:

Thanks dude :smile:
I'm going to call the college and try and find out as much as possible tomorrow.
Reply 14
Original post by dj1015

What local authority are you referring to and where/how do they check for this information?
Reply 15
Original post by Orianne
What local authority are you referring to and where/how do they check for this information?

It would be the education one. And trust me, these guys do keep records. How do they check it? On a computer I would guess.

If someone lies on a application and gets caught, then its game over... If you tell the truth, then you won't have any problems. Seems like a no brainier to me.
Reply 16
Original post by dj1015
It would be the education one. And trust me, these guys do keep records. How do they check it? On a computer I would guess.

If someone lies on a application and gets caught, then its game over... If you tell the truth, then you won't have any problems. Seems like a no brainier to me.

Yes I'm coming to learn they keep all kinds of records in this country & not suggesting people tell fibs (after having my id stolen I'm very skeptical of all this data storing which is supposed to safeguard us from id theft) However, I doubt any check would be via the a local authority but instead through the body that keeps your ULN details and according to them...

The ULN also means information within the Personal Learning Records is secure and cannot be shared with other organisations (including statutory bodies), without the prior consent of the learner.
Reply 17
The local authority will have records of past exams that the college would check for all people claiming a free entry

I am sorry but that is rubbish. They don't have records of every exam taken with every exam board throughout history. There is no such comprehensive database. I agree that the OP should come clean and not be dishonest, however there is no point in trying to scare people with such rhetoric.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending