The Student Room Group

Fitness FAQ - Fat/Weightloss/Bulking

Weight/Fat Loss

How do I lose fat/weight?

Spoiler

How much should I be eating?

Spoiler

How do I get a six-pack? Will doing lots of situps/crunches give me a six-pack?

Spoiler

[URL=" http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=24833919&postcount=1
"]Month Long Bodyfat Blitz - Bishamon

Does eating fat make you fat?

Spoiler

What about weight loss pills?

Spoiler

I can't lose weight, I have a slow metabolism. What should I do?

Spoiler

What about 'Detox' diets/'The Master Cleanse'/'The Cabbage Soup Diet'?

Spoiler

Does exercising before breakfast burn more fat?

Spoiler

What bodyfat percentage am I?

Spoiler

General Training Questions

How do you perform [insert exercise name here]?

Spoiler

What routine should I follow?

Spoiler

How many reps/sets should I do?

Spoiler

How should a beginner train? I cannot afford to go to the gym, what can I do?

Spoiler

Which martial art should I do? Which martial art is best?

Spoiler

Why do you train? What do you train for?

Spoiler

What is your height and weight?

Spoiler

What music do you listen to when you workout? What is your favourite workout music?

Spoiler

General Nutrition Questions

What should I be eating and in what proportions? How do you eat healthily?

Spoiler

What if I cannot afford to eat healthily?

Spoiler

Where can I buy good supplements? Where can I buy cheap supplements?

Spoiler

Contributors

Bishamon

burningnun

commandant

cowsforsale

Lady Venom

Misogynist

The Blind Monk

xoxAngel_Kxox

Shawshank

Becca

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey, basically I've put on so much weight over easter and study leave and my summer ball is in 2 weeks. I would like to get back to my normal weight and lost half a stone by then, so I have the chance to look decent in a dress.

Does anyone have any ideas how I might go about this?
Unless you're very overweight, half a stone in 2 weeks isn't going to be achieved by sensible dieting and exercising. If you literally only need to lose this much to be your IDEAL weight, chances are it will take longer. You could probably lose a couple of pounds, maybe four in total, and those other 3 pounds won't make a huge difference to your dress anyway.

Start changing small things about your lifestyle now, and give yourself time to adapt to it, then your weight should fall back to your ideal.

Also, I don't think half a stone gain since Easter is "so much weight" haha I could have put that on in Easter Week alone!!
Reply 3
I've eaten so much junk and drunk probably a bit too much over the past few months thats its all gone to my face and my stomach/hips and I feel huge.
I know I'm not overweight, I want to get back to 8.5 which was what I was. I was thinking of crash dieting but that's probably an even worse idea..
Reply 4
If you honestly are only going to do it for a few weeks and really have the dedication, then something like Atkins could be for you.

But let me stress, this is not a long term solution. The weight will drop off, but if you're not comitted to a healthy lifestyle then you'll put it straight back on once you stop the diet.
I'd suggest Dukan or Atkins for a two week diet but just be prepared to gain quite a bit of it back after you stop. Low carb diets in my experience have helped me lose water weight and a few extra pounds quickly but it's not exactly healthy - you just have to decide if you want to take the risk to feel comfortable on the day (side effects aren't that bad - just as soon the two week period is over make sure you start a decent healthy exercise/eating regime!).
i want to put on a bit of muscle and tone up. i have a running machine and one of these multi-gyms at home http://www.weighttrainingequipmentcenter.com/wp-content/uploads/multi-gym-2.jpg and today i bought some maximuscle high protein promax

im 6ft(ish) and weigh about 11.5 stone. already got a bit of muscle on me but i dont go to the gym, and want to lose belly fat (i know you cant 'weight-loss target' the stomach directly) to allow the abs to come through

if someone could advise me on when to take the protein and what foods to eat aswell as how to make the most of the equipment i have, id appreciate it
Please bear with me :smile:

Ive just started trying to lose weight and am finding it hard to understand the amount of calories I need to burn and ingest to lost around a pound a week.

I calculated my BMR which what 1719, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with that number.

Anyway, I went to the gym this morning and ran for 40 minutes on the treadmill, burning 180 calories. does this then mean I can't eat more than 180 calories today or I won't have a deficit? I know thats not right because not eating won't work.

I think i'll ask people who work at the gym next time but for now I just need someone to explain what I'm doing wrong. No matter how much i do at the gym i can't seem to burn more than 200 calories, which doesn't seem like its enough.

help please:eek:
Reply 8
OK, your BMR is the amount of calories you'd burn if you literally just sat in bed all day.
You're lucky, because your BMR is pretty high, wich means you have a higher metabolism and can eat more (assuming you've calculated it corectly). Mine is only around 1350!

So, using myself as an example - I do a quick run every day, some housework, and some weightlifting, which burns about 170 calories.
So, if I eat around 1200-1300 calories - which is my daily goal (don't ever go under 1200, you'll go into starvation mode and your body will just hoard fat!!) - I get a calorie deficit of around 320. Which is good (I remember reading somewhere that one lb of fat takes about a 1700 calorie deficit or something to lose? So if you add up your calorie deficits over the week you can work out roughly how much you might lose)

I'd reccommend you sign up to myfitnesspal.com - that will let you track what you're eating, how many calories you're burning, and at the end of each day let you know how much you've burnt overall! :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by maxcartwright

Ive just started trying to lose weight and am finding it hard to understand the amount of calories I need to burn and ingest to lost around a pound a week.

I calculated my BMR which what 1719, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with that number.

Anyway, I went to the gym this morning and ran for 40 minutes on the treadmill, burning 180 calories. does this then mean I can't eat more than 180 calories today or I won't have a deficit? I know thats not right because not eating won't work.

I think i'll ask people who work at the gym next time but for now I just need someone to explain what I'm doing wrong. No matter how much i do at the gym i can't seem to burn more than 200 calories, which doesn't seem like its enough.

Would point out that you shouldn't fool yourself into thinking that's a run, that's slow jog at very very best, running you'd burn through 180 calories in under 10 minutes. Don't mean to be harsh but fooling yourself into thinking you've done more/better exercise than you actually have is one of the primary reason people don't lose weight, you've got to be truthful with yourself when you say what you did.
Original post by maxcartwright

BMR is the calories your body uses through the day basically keeping you alive, pumping blood,brain function etc etc etc. Add on to that calories burned through being active and exercising and you get your TDEE - Total daily energy expenditure.

Using myself as an example: my BMR is something like 1800 and my TDEE averages out through the week at about 3000(I'm really active) - If I wanted to lose a lb a week I would eat at 2500 calories a day.

Also, I wouldn't trust what the machine tells you, in terms of calories burned. If you want an accurate number get a decent HRM with GPS, set your details(height,weight,age and maximum HR) and go outside for a run - still take that number with a pinch of salt, but it's fairly accurate.
counting calories is important but definitely not the only think to take into consideration. The quality of these calories is also important. Try cutting down on processed foods and foods with added sugar and sugary drinks. Doing this is good for your health and will aid with weight loss.
Calculating this stuff is one thing, but it's all ultimately just an approximation.

The fail-safe way is to just keep reducing your intake by 100-200 calories each week until you start losing weight. Whatever your BMR really is, you'll find it.
Hey guys! ,

Would be great if you could read this and give me some advice, as I'm a confused newbie when it comes to fitness. :confused:

I'm trying to lose weight, and have recently joined a gym.
I basically have 2 months membership left before I go back to university
and I want to know how to make the most of it and if what I'm doing is right.
(I will also get a membership at uni)

I'm 65kg right now, and would like to be 60kg by christmas time (is that too much to lose in that space of time?), with the fastest weight loss happening during this summer period.

I am very very physically weak and always have been. I'm a vegetarian and I think I have very weak muscles,legs get very tired climbing up huge flights of stairs and can't really lift heavy things. However, I am more concerned with losing weight rather than becoming stronger, but will strength training and gaining stronger muscle enable me to lose weight faster? Beacause I feel weak when I run and my legs hurt, so my treadmill-ing might be shorter and less intense than it should be.

I have a couple more questions:
1) How accurate are the calorie counters on gym machines? (treadmill, cross-trainer/elliptical)
2) How many calories do you burn to lose weight on these machines, and in what space of time?
3) Does anyone have any great workout tunes that keep them running? (I don't think I can keep using Destinys Child songs forever!) :colondollar:

and any tips for a general gym routine would be great.
Thanks so much for reading!

XXX
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by BrookeDavis
Hey guys! ,

Would be great if you could read this and give me some advice, as I'm a confused newbie when it comes to fitness. :confused:

I'm trying to lose weight, and have recently joined a gym.
I basically have 2 months membership left before I go back to university
and I want to know how to make the most of it and if what I'm doing is right.
(I will also get a membership at uni)

I'm 65kg right now, and would like to be 60kg by christmas time (is that too much to lose in that space of time?), with the fastest weight loss happening during this summer period.

I am very very physically weak and always have been. I'm a vegetarian and I think I have very weak muscles,legs get very tired climbing up huge flights of stairs and can't really lift heavy things. However, I am more concerned with losing weight rather than becoming stronger, but will strength training and gaining stronger muscle enable me to lose weight faster? Beacause I feel weak when I run and my legs hurt, so my treadmill-ing might be shorter and less intense than it should be.

I have a couple more questions:
1) How accurate are the calorie counters on gym machines? (treadmill, cross-trainer/elliptical)
2) How many calories do you burn to lose weight on these machines, and in what space of time?
3) Does anyone have any great workout tunes that keep them running? (I don't think I can keep using Destinys Child songs forever!) :colondollar:

and any tips for a general gym routine would be great.
Thanks so much for reading!

XXX

In answer to your main question, yes strength training will help you to lose weight faster. The more muscle you have, the more calories your body burns. Since the key to weightloss is to burn more calories than you consume then this is a good thing. When performed correctly, strength training is also good for a load more reasons, especially for females:
-improves bone density (important since females are particularly at risk of osteoperosis later in life)
-improves balance (especially when training with freeweights rather than machines)
-improves the look of your body - more muscle + less fat = that "toned" look people are after.

Your other questions -
1) calorie counters are not very accurate!
2) it's hard to say, depends on your body composition really
3) we have a stickied thread for workout tunes

Read the first post in this FAQ thread, and have a look at the other stickies in the forum. There are loads of potential gym routines floating around on here if you have a look.
I'm a noob. Currently 6' and 75 kg. Want to get asthetic/ chizled / toned. What programme is best for me?
Reply 16
Check out a BB split, something like push/pull/legs or similar. Eat more.

Never heard anyone call it "aesthetic" who isn't already in the lifting game...
Reply 17
So im off away in a few weeks and want to lose weight before i go.

Im not expecting stones to drop off.

Im a size 14/16 and a 36E - around 12.7 stone - so not exactly a beach whale but not a skinny mini either.

So i'd like to lose as much weight as i can possible.

Any tip's, diets etc.

I was thinking of the special k diet to cut my calories down really low then very low fat meals. with the gym at least 5 times a week for an hour / hour & half.

Would that be suitable? or even work.
Original post by annoymouse
So im off away in a few weeks and want to lose weight before i go.

Im not expecting stones to drop off.

Im a size 14/16 and a 36E - around 12.7 stone - so not exactly a beach whale but not a skinny mini either.

So i'd like to lose as much weight as i can possible.

Any tip's, diets etc.

I was thinking of the special k diet to cut my calories down really low then very low fat meals. with the gym at least 5 times a week for an hour / hour & half.

Would that be suitable? or even work.

surely a troll? anyway, you've left it pretty late (like most people do) to get in shape for a holiday. just do some weights and some cardio - actually work hard (i.e. work up a sweat). don't do painfully low intensity exercise for an hour, convincing yourself that this is adequate, like 99.9% of female gym-goers do. alter your diet to include complex carbs, lean meats, good fats, vegetables and cut the junk food (particularly the ****ty simple carbs like chocolate which most females love to gorge on). hope for the best. also apparently cut salt intake in the last few days to stop water retention and get a more defined look.

tbh you'll probably get attention or people saying you look good regardless. not exactly difficult for a female to get attention or compliments, unless you look hideously fat/ugly. not the case for guys.
Reply 19
Original post by sil3nt_cha0s
surely a troll? anyway, you've left it pretty late (like most people do) to get in shape for a holiday. just do some weights and some cardio - actually work hard (i.e. work up a sweat). don't do painfully low intensity exercise for an hour, convincing yourself that this is adequate, like 99.9% of female gym-goers do. alter your diet to include complex carbs, lean meats, good fats, vegetables and cut the junk food (particularly the ****ty simple carbs like chocolate which most females love to gorge on). hope for the best. also apparently cut salt intake in the last few days to stop water retention and get a more defined look.

tbh you'll probably get attention or people saying you look good regardless. not exactly difficult for a female to get attention or compliments, unless you look hideously fat/ugly. not the case for guys.

No im not a troll.

and exams have impended on gym going too :frown:

Well i dont think im hideously ugly. I can pull 10 guys in one given night.

Quick Reply

Latest