The Student Room Group

Switiching addresses to get a higher student loan?

I currently live with my dad for 3/4 of the time and am registered on everything as living with him. However my mum earns less and when applying for universities through UCAS I want to be down as living with her as I'll get a higher loan and bursaries.

Can people tell me:

1. Is it legal to switch where I'm registered as living for these purposes?
2. Regardless of the answer to question 1, how do I go about changing where I officially live?
3. Can UCAS find out?

If anybody has done this before could they please tell me exactly what they did.

Reply 1
Original post by LarrikinLibertine
I currently live with my dad for 3/4 of the time and am registered on everything as living with him. However my mum earns less and when applying for universities through UCAS I want to be down as living with her as I'll get a higher loan and bursaries.

Can people tell me:

2. Regardless of the answer to question 1, how do I go about changing where I officially live?
3. Can UCAS find out?

If anybody has done this before could they please tell me exactly what they did.

Its nothing to do with UCAS, its student finance who deal with the money side of things. And technically its fraud but student finance are unlikely to find out.
Original post by jelly1000
Its nothing to do with UCAS, its student finance who deal with the money side of things. And technically its fraud but student finance are unlikely to find out.

Oh OK, so do you have any idea what kind of databases I need to change me address with? My school? The council?

Thanks
bump
No, that's fraud.

Can people tell me:

3. Can UCAS find out?

Don't do it. Seriously. You don't want to start the habit of defrauding money from anyone, even if it is unlikely that they'll find out (but this is by no means certain).
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Don't do it. Seriously. You don't want to start the habit of defrauding money from anyone, even if it is unlikely that they'll find out (but this is by no means certain).

What if I started living with my mum 50% of the time, what would I be expected to do then?
Reply 7
What if I started living with my mum 50% of the time, what would I be expected to do then?

You don't.
Original post by 123450
You don't.

I don't what?
Reply 9
I don't what?

you dont try and defraud the government and the tax payer of their cash...
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by cl_steele
you dont try and defraud the government and the tax payer of their cash...

His reply still doesn't make sense in the context. I asked what I would be expected to do if I lived with my parents exactly 50/50 rather than my dad slightly more.
Reply 11
His reply still doesn't make sense in the context. I asked what I would be expected to do if I lived with my parents exactly 50/50 rather than my dad slightly more.

I meant 'you don't live with your parents 50/50' - it's a moot point.
Original post by 123450
I meant 'you don't live with your parents 50/50' - it's a moot point.

I could though, it's up to me how much time I spend with each parent. I just want to know what happens if you do, what do Student Finance expect you to do? If you don't know the answer just say.
Reply 13
I could though, it's up to me how much time I spend with each parent. I just want to know what happens if you do, what do Student Finance expect you to do? If you don't know the answer just say.

You can't. You have one address which you use for legal documentation, application forms, bills, the electoral roll and even Student Finance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending