The Student Room Group

retaking english gcse whilst doing alevels- can i explain on my ucas application?

ok basically when i was doing my gcses i just did not focus and my school was crap so they meant nothing to me. i basically got a bunch of grades ranging from a*-d.

however, now i know what i want in life and my alevel predicted grades are aab :smile: so it's all good.

but i'm applying to do law this october and i think redoing my english gcses will make my application a lot stronger. I already have an A* in history, so if i got a's in english this would show i have written skills. (essential to law candidates for top unis apprently.) i was advised at uni open days to do this also.

i'm confused because if i retake in january, i won't get my results of my gcses til may.

but i'm applying to uni in october :s so when i put down my gcse grades, is there like a space to put predicted gcse grades?

because if there's not i'll just have to put my old ones, and then theres not really a point of retaking because by the time i get my result to change them i will have already been accepted/rejected by the unis i apply too.

someone help me lol! i've never done ucas or anything before so i have no idea how the form and everything works.
Reply 1
You should get your referee to write this in your reference including any extenuating circumstances.

Good luck law is a competitive course, but you might find that if you have stellar A level predictions your GCSEs won't be as important

(that god for Google, i have not idea how to spell 'extenuating ')
Reply 2
Original post by OSharp
You should get your referee to write this in your reference including any extenuating circumstances.

Good luck law is a competitive course, but you might find that if you have stellar A level predictions your GCSEs won't be as important

(that god for Google, i have not idea how to spell 'extenuating ')

thanks for your reply:smile:

and i'm doing it outside of my college at a retake place, so i don't think they will be on my references statement:/

do you not get to put it on your ucas?

I really want to go to exeter but there's clearly a lot of private school applicants who have like AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA at gcse so i thought i might be at a complete disadvantage!
Reply 3
The universities get a ranking of all the schools by GCSE and A level,

Whether this makes any difference who knows.

So tell your referee that you are resitting, and ask them if they wouldn't mind writing about why, give them some line about wishing to improve upon yourself.

Erm I don't remember fully i think you can but don't quote me on that
I had to put in a BTEC so i think you can put in any qualification.

But univerities will look at the reference more carefully than the UCAS apply form so do both.

Hopefully If i meet my offer I am off to Exeter next year (well PCMD) and i know what you mean, that kind of put me off.

Best of luck and hope we meet up as students of Exeter in 2 years time
Reply 4
what offer did you get?

and LOL thanks me too! i love exeter

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending