The Student Room Group

A levels to do law

Scroll to see replies

Original post by michael321
Yes those are OK, but I'd drop business for A2.

why
Reply 21
Original post by bradfriedal24
why

Because it's non preferred (for law) on the 2 lists out there that are known of.

Trinity, Cambridge (http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604) and LSE (http://www2.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howtoapply/lseentryrequirements.aspx) so probably isn't particularly well regarded generally.
Whilst not necessarily perceived as the best preparation, due to its vocational content, a number of applicants offering Business Studies alongside two other generally preferred subjects like Maths or English, do receive offers from LSE every year
Reply 23
Whilst not necessarily perceived as the best preparation, due to its vocational content, a number of applicants offering Business Studies alongside two other generally preferred subjects like Maths or English, do receive offers from LSE every year

I didn't say they didn't, just that it's non-preferred and your others are preferred so why take the risk?

Also, my friend who had Cambridge (Robinson) tell her that they would not be treating it as an A Level at all. If you do 4 fair enough, it allowed her to be in the brilliant position of having a Firm of Cambridge (AAA, no Business) and Insurance of Durham (AAA, Business included) but if you're going to drop one it's probably best to drop Business.

Since you have quoted from the LSE website, let me direct you further up that page:

Certain subjects are considered by our admissions tutors to be a more effective preparation for studying at LSE. Admissions Tutors will normally consider one of the subjects listed as 'non-preferred' below only if it is offered in combination with two generally preferred subjects. For example, Mathematics, French and Economics would be a suitable combination for almost any of our degrees. Mathematics, French and Business would be acceptable, but we would prefer the first example.

Of course you may well get offers from good places with Business A2. But why put yourself at a disadvantage? That said, your first aim should be getting the highest grades - if Business is necessary for that, choose it over the others.

When you say English, do you mean lang or lit?
lit but im droppin it
Original post by michael321
Since you have quoted from the LSE website, let me direct you further up that page:

Of course you may well get offers from good places with Business A2. But why put yourself at a disadvantage? That said, your first aim should be getting the highest grades - if Business is necessary for that, choose it over the others.

When you say English, do you mean lang or lit?

ucl an kings say notin bout business,if i get 3 As at A2 and 5 As at AS WILL I BE OK
Reply 27
ucl an kings say notin bout business,if i get 3 As at A2 and 5 As at AS WILL I BE OK

You will be a strong candidate, just maybe not as strong as someone with 3 traditional A Levels.

And you'll need A* in one subject for all of LSE, UCL and KCL next year so AAA wouldn't leave you OK for those unis, it will leave you one grade short.
How do know wot did u do
Reply 29
How do know wot did u do

I don't know for certain, but there is evidence to suggest that Business isn't as well regarded as Lit so it seems an unnecessary risk if you want to go for such highly competitive universities, though ultimately it is your choice and the A is more important than anything else if you don't think you'd get an A in Lit. For UCL it seems a lot goes on the LNAT, check this year's applicant thread for the details as I don't know them. My A Levels were History, French and Spanish (and General Studies but doesn't really count).

In terms of being A*AA I just looked at the websites, LSE and KCL were both A*AA this year and UCL lists that as the offer here: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/laws/prospective/undergraduate/index.shtml?entry
(edited 11 years ago)
Wots lnat? Also english is rubbish teacher and prob wotn get grade

Clearly the LSE and Cambridge (probably amongst others - there have been various blacklists over the years) don't view Business Studies as a serious academic subject. There is every reason to suppose that the perception of various A-levels will be similar across many top universities.

The institutions you have mentioned are all very competitive, and have complex admissions processes. No-one can give you a scientific answer as to whether you'll get in. What I can say is that if I were applying, I would rather have a traditional subject for my last A-level than a less respected one; however, as I have also said above, I would rather have an 'A' in Business Studies than a 'B' in History.
Reply 32
Wots lnat? Also english is rubbish teacher and prob wotn get grade

LNAT

If you won't get the grade then fair enough do Business, but beware that there may be unpublished 'blacklists', similar to the published Cambridge and LSE ones, at other unis, as Michael321 says. However, getting A*AA is the priority for those unis so if you don't think you'll get that with Lit do Business (though don't you have a 5th option?).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by DanBlake
Hey guys, sorry if this is the wrong place to ask; i just got this and don't know my way round it. Im picking my A levels next year, and in my GCSE's im predicted 8A*'s and 3A's. I want to do a degree in Law, but im not sure what subjects to do at A level. I was thinking History, Maths, Further Maths, Politics and Econmics. ANy Help please?

I've done History and Maths (but coupled with Chem and English) for Law and been told they're good for law (mostly for having a god mix)... I can't see a problem with yours - Law is a great topic because everything can be - in some way - relevant...
They're fine, but from experience, I really suggest taking 4 - having 5 A-levels really won't make any difference, and it will be a waste of time and put a strain on you in exam period. If you feel you can take 4 up at A2 then go for it. People put too much weight on what subjects they take anyway, I wouldn't worry about it too much - my mate has offers for Law at Russell group uni's and has taken Business studies... All those A-levels are considered 'strong' so you'll be fine. Just make sure you enjoy the subjects - That's been my fatal flaw, I've hated every minute of A-levels as I have no interest in what I'm studying so choose wisely!
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi,
I'm sort of in the same situation. I'm predicted 14 A* at GCSE and would like to study Law(Jurisprudence) at university. I'm thinking of taking English Literature, Maths, Psychology and History or Sociology at AS and A2. Any thoughts on if these are good for Law?
Thanks xx
Original post by bel_welton
Hi,
I'm sort of in the same situation. I'm predicted 14 A* at GCSE and would like to study Law(Jurisprudence) at university. I'm thinking of taking English Literature, Maths, Psychology and History or Sociology at AS and A2. Any thoughts on if these are good for Law?
Thanks xx

I'd do History not Sociology if I were you. Other than that, fine.
Lots of people are saying some of your choices aren't 'relevant' for Law. That's not true at all. The only real subject suggestions for Law are that they're "academically rigorous" or "generally preferred". Unis actually seem to prefer it if you have an eclectic mix of subjects demonstrating a wide skills-set. An essay subject would probably be a good idea though. And there's really no purpose to doing more than 4 AS subjects unless you genuinely can't bear the thought of dropping some. I did History, English Lit, Maths and French at AS, if it helps...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending