The Student Room Group

Making a decision about re-applying for medicine.

Medicine wasn't something I wanted to do from a young age but something I stumbled upon recently. I got really interested in learning about human anatomy and my aunt being a doctor, I learnt so much about the field and became more exposed and decided medicine was for me. However, I couldn't apply because my predicted grades were not high enough and my lack of work experience meant I had to wait until I had completed my A levels before applying. When I finally sent my application off, I managed to get an interview. However, just before my interview I had a lot of problems at home with my family and sort of left home and lived around on my own and some friends for several days. I was sort of getting depressed and had anxiety issues. I didn't do too well, though I felt I had tried hard but I was extremely nervous and scared at the interview which contributed to my failure and unfortunately got rejected. I have an offer to study optometry which was a back up choice and it's something I would enjoy doing however not as a long term career. My school is being discouraging about me re-applying and expect me to move on with my offer, my family wants the same, though I couldn't take another gap year because my problems at home are just getting worse and my parents are booting me out soon.

I also realised I have stressed over this situation too much and haven't looked after myself, as a result I have put on a lot of weight. I used to enjoy so many sports, hobbies and music before but now I just don't and only care about getting in to medical school (it's becoming an unhealthy obsession).

My friends have advised me to take up my offer, go to university, enjoy the social scene and such and keep medicine as a long term goal, which is something I'm considering but I really feel if I got another interview now, I would do brilliantly, I would try again now if my family and school were supportive but I don't really have any money or place to go except university.

What do you guys think?
Reply 1
It's a tricky one. What if you reapply and get rejected again? That's another year of your life with being in uni or having a long term career.

In the end, it's how much you want it. I know how you feel. I wanna get into medicine so badly, nothing else could possibly substitute it. I feel like doing another degree would just be for the purpose of going into medicine at the end of it.

Up to you. If you're willing to take the risk of getting rejected again, then absolutely apply again. After all, if you don't apply, your chances of success are 0. However, have a back up plan in case you are rejected again. I can understand not being able/not wanting to take another gap year completely.
Reply 2
You could always do post-grad medicine, and you may find Optometry to be a really rewarding and fufilling field. Go for it :smile:

EDIT: If you didn't want to hear other peoples' opinions, why the **** did you make this thread?
(edited 11 years ago)
If you really want to do medicine then my advice would be: get a job as a healthcare assistant so that you can move out of home for a year (if things there are really bad and affecting you) and save a little money before uni while you are applying for medicine.

I'm assuming you'll be applying for 2013 entry so this would allow you to show relevant work experience, gain more confidence from patient interactions (which should hopefully give you more confidence in interviews also), and possibly distance yourself a little from the home problems. Even if you don't get into medicine next year you can still have optometry as a backup 5th choice which means delaying entry by just 1 year :smile:
Goddamit my friend re-apply! You only win this medicine game by not compromising, its a phenomenal life being a doctor but you must fight for it!

And only listen to yourself, not people who tell you 'cant' or 'maybe in a few years', you can do this!
Reply 5
You'd have to do your research, but I believe a few medical schools will look into someone's application if they apply during a course at university. This would allow you to go to university, live away from home and also apply to medicine. Make sure you do your research though, otherwise many will reject you outright.
I re-applied and got in and would definitley reccomend re-applying if it's what you want to do.
post grad is 8 times more competitive than undergrad.
You have an advantage against direct school leavers.
and you get student loan (which postgrads don't).
That's my opinion anyway, ultimatley it's your decision.
Also the money i've saved up by working this year will really help me in uni.
Money was a concern for me also this year but i've managed to land two jobs within the NHS (which really helped my application too) and that pays the rent i'm charged by my parents.
(edited 11 years ago)
hey guys,

so what would be the advice for someone who really wants to get into med school but just missed out on the grades (BBBc at A-level)? Do they stand any chance even if they reapply bearing in mind they have a good UKCAT score, work exp. etc?
Original post by blueclearsky
hey guys,

so what would be the advice for someone who really wants to get into med school but just missed out on the grades (BBBc at A-level)? Do they stand any chance even if they reapply bearing in mind they have a good UKCAT score, work exp. etc?

With those grades I would say you'd have the following options:

1] Resit or do an access course (if eligible)
2] Do another degree and apply to graduate entry medicine
3] Apply for the extended/foundation medicine courses (although these are usually for people with specific factors affecting their performance, e.g. proven personal problems, poor performing school, and have strict eligibility criteria etc.). If the grade results are due to poor exam performance with none of these factors then options 1 or 2 appear to be yopur only routes into medicine.
research, plan, wait, persevere, execute.
Original post by mackers_ire
With those grades I would say you'd have the following options:

1] Resit or do an access course (if eligible)
2] Do another degree and apply to graduate entry medicine
3] Apply for the extended/foundation medicine courses (although these are usually for people with specific factors affecting their performance, e.g. proven personal problems, poor performing school, and have strict eligibility criteria etc.). If the grade results are due to poor exam performance with none of these factors then options 1 or 2 appear to be yopur only routes into medicine.

Thanks for your response. Resitting isn't an option with medicine if it's outside the two years. Graduate entry medicine is an option but medcine alone is 5 years plus 2 years training let alone doing another degree on top of that, it's just too long! and i wouldn't qualify for the foundation course as i did more than one science at a-level. I was just wondeing if anyone has got in with similar grades (BBB) having shown evidence of work exp. a passsion for medicine, high ukcat score etc.
Thanks for your response. Resitting isn't an option with medicine if it's outside the two years. Graduate entry medicine is an option but medcine alone is 5 years plus 2 years training let alone doing another degree on top of that, it's just too long! and i wouldn't qualify for the foundation course as i did more than one science at a-level. I was just wondeing if anyone has got in with similar grades (BBB) having shown evidence of work exp. a passsion for medicine, high ukcat score etc.

I've been working in healthcare for 13 years, albeit not as a doctor or registered healthcare professional (so this is my own experience) but I would not expect anyone with your grades to have entered medicine unless they've done an access course (usualy several years after their A Levels) or graduate entry.

Some foundation courses are for people who scored low due to social situations/badly performing school no matetr if you took science A Levels or not, but if this does not apply to you then your only options are access or graduate entry.

Sorry to disappoint but that's the reality of the situation, so maybe you need to focus on what you can do even if it means having to add on a few extra years. If you want to do medicine you will have to put in the extra time :smile:

Although you will be severely restricted in your choices, there are a few places which will accept resit applicants. Research which places will do so - you can find a good starting place here. You will see that only two medical schools will accept you in your situation, which highly limits your chances. You should email them to check for sure that your situation will not exclude you from consideration at these medical schools, and if it does not, then apply to those two and three other courses which may be good stepping stones for graduate entry.

I also advise you to look into widening access/foundation courses, as there may still be some medical schools which will consider you for such programs.

If you are not satisfied with any of these options, then unfortunately you may have to accept that medicine is not for you.

Quick Reply

Latest