The Student Room Group

When you get married, will you take your partner's name?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by abc:)
But they are half his children too, don't they have equal entitlement to either name?

My mum insisted when we were born that we take her name, I've hated it all my life until I changed it to double-barrel at 18. I couldn't comprehend the idea that by name I wasn't part of my dad's family.

Actually, I hate my family name and as soon as I move out of the house, I intend on completely removing my father's surname and my legal forename (am never called it by my family anyway).

I wouldn't mind taking my mother's maiden name but there is a name in my mind I would love to have. :biggrin:
I'd be more than happy to ditch my surname and to be honest, I quite like the tradition. If I'd become a super famous speech therapist by that point, I'd likely keep my maiden name for work but we'll see!
Reply 22
Take my partners name..only cause I'm the female :P abit different if I were a boy :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I did take my husband's surname yes. I'm traditional like that. I like the fact that we all have the same surname - my husband, myself, and our children. I feel that it unites us as a family.
(edited 11 years ago)
I would, purely on the basis that the bf's second name is Potter. Imagine all the embarrassing names for the kids; Albus Severus and so on
No, but our children would have both of our names.
I like my surname, so would probably go double barrel (if it sounds right).
i dont know yet depends on the name probably!
double barreling it is an option.
im proud of my name and not sure that i can give it up... not yet at least.. but nor am i planning on marrying any time soon!
There wont be a wedding if my partner doesn't take my surname.
I'm not sure that I want to get married, but if I do then I'm keeping my surname and I'm still going to call myself 'Ms'. After all, no one would question my husband's commitment to me if he didn't want to take my surname, and he wouldn't even have the option of taking a different title, so I don't see why it should be any different for me. Other women can do what they want, obviously.
Reply 30
I can't wait to get married and be Mrs _______ :smile:
Sometimes things don't have to be modernised, I like a bit of tradition now and again.
I'm already a Ms. I despise it when I receive post addressed to Miss, and I get infuriated when you get the option of Mrs and Miss but no Ms.

I don't want to. My current boyfriend is incredibly adamant about it though and I'd stretch to double barrel (although my surname is Italian and his is German...:lolwut:) and I'd let the kids take his name with mine as a middle name but I will never ever get rid of my surname.

Haha I wonder this sometimes.. I have a very boring surname, but my boyfriend has a foreign name and I know that nobody would ever pronounce it right as it's quite a mouthful so... I'm not sure yet. I don't know if I'd want to correct everyone constantly. But then maybe that's a bit of a lazy reason not to take someone's name!
Reply 33
Not really sure. I'd like to say double barreled... but that would be one long surname.
Imagine if a couple with a family name 'Martain' or 'Martin' had a child called 'Aston.' An awesome name would be created!
Original post by megan.c
Probably,

though he has suggested taking the first syllable of my name and the last of his. Then calling our first born son Eric.

We would be the parents of Eric Cartman

This made my day, hahaha.

Definitely taking my other half's last name; I love the tradition and can't stand my last name - but love his.
Yes, I would.
Reply 37
We're hyphenating our names :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by such_a_lady
I'm already a Ms. I despise it when I receive post addressed to Miss, and I get infuriated when you get the option of Mrs and Miss but no Ms.

I don't want to. My current boyfriend is incredibly adamant about it though and I'd stretch to double barrel (although my surname is Italian and his is German...:lolwut:) and I'd let the kids take his name with mine as a middle name but I will never ever get rid of my surname.

What wrong with being miss? Youre either married or you're not. I always thought being ms was a load of crap.
Reply 39
I did change my name. I wasn't hugely keen on my maiden name and it mattered to him. I don't think about it much really, you adapt really quickly. I know all of the arguments for and against and in the end, I just was not that bothered!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending