The Student Room Group

What do you want to know about Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1960
Original post by PRIYESHH
so basically I am thinking of applying to cambridge and was wondering for the TSA- is it necessary to sit it for cambridge? because I was reading that some colleges don't require it? Like for land econ only 4 colleges require the TSA, so if i were to apply to a college, other than those 4, would I need to sit the TSA?

Didn't you answer your own question? :smile:

You wouldn't.
Reply 1961
yeah haha kind of did just answer my own question, but wanted to make sure, so thanks for the replies.
Reply 1962
What exactly is the procedure of getting your college's rowing teams? I have never practiced rowing but I have pretty well trained legs and back and I have some endurance (last summer I used to run 12 km every day).
Reply 1963
Original post by Mechkov
What exactly is the procedure of getting your college's rowing teams? I have never practiced rowing but I have pretty well trained legs and back and I have some endurance (last summer I used to run 12 km every day).

There'll be some kind of freshers fair for all the societies and you can sign up there. They'll pretty much take anyone, so don't worry about qualifications at all, though your experience will probably mean you end up in a higher boat with more difficult training/competition.
Original post by lp386
There'll be some kind of freshers fair for all the societies and you can sign up there. They'll pretty much take anyone, so don't worry about qualifications at all, though your experience will probably mean you end up in a higher boat with more difficult training/competition.

Not exactly - if you've never rowed then no matter how strong you are you'll be put in a novice boat, and compete in novice competitions for the first term. Definitely get involved though, its good fun!
Reply 1965
How conditional are IB offers, can anyone tell me? If I were to get a point or two below my offer, but the 7,7,6 in the specified subjects, would I be likely to still have a place? I heard it's easier for the IB because of all the points, rather than straight grades in A levels, you see (I don't know if that's just hearsay!).
I guess it depends a bit on how many other people miss their offers or exceed them - I have a place for medicine; can anyone who did the IB and/or is studying medicine share anything they know about how strict the offers are? Thank you!!
Reply 1966
Hi, im starting a levels this year- already done AS maths- well finishing it this year, and im going to take A2 maths, Bio Chem, Further Maths, and History. I think i want to apply for medicine at cambridge.
Im getting GCSE results this year and expected:
Double Science: A*A*
English Lit and Lang: A*A*
History: A*
ICT: A*
Art: A*
Geography: A
Im getting maths as level this year: A\

And i have already done 3 gcses:

Maths: A*
Additional Maths: A*
Spanish: a

results wise, do i have a reasonable chance? what if i dont do too well on bmat, looking at past papers and on TSR it is pretty hard, but im taking it in two years so ive got time to prepare.?
Original post by daniya12
Hi, im starting a levels this year- already done AS maths- well finishing it this year, and im going to take A2 maths, Bio Chem, Further Maths, and History. I think i want to apply for medicine at cambridge.
Im getting GCSE results this year and expected:
Double Science: A*A*
English Lit and Lang: A*A*
History: A*
ICT: A*
Art: A*
Geography: A
Im getting maths as level this year: A\

And i have already done 3 gcses:

Maths: A*
Additional Maths: A*
Spanish: a

results wise, do i have a reasonable chance?

Yes, you have a reasonable chance, in that your GCSEs are good, and your A Level choices are fine.

what if i dont do too well on bmat, looking at past papers and on TSR it is pretty hard, but im taking it in two years so ive got time to prepare.?

Try to do well in the BMAT; it is obviously advantageous to do as well as you can in all aspects of your application. Although, I would focus on your AS Levels currently, as getting high UMS is important. You can prepare for the BMAT in the summer following your AS Levels.
Original post by atwn
How conditional are IB offers, can anyone tell me? If I were to get a point or two below my offer, but the 7,7,6 in the specified subjects, would I be likely to still have a place? I heard it's easier for the IB because of all the points, rather than straight grades in A levels, you see (I don't know if that's just hearsay!).
I guess it depends a bit on how many other people miss their offers or exceed them - I have a place for medicine; can anyone who did the IB and/or is studying medicine share anything they know about how strict the offers are? Thank you!!

Sadly in most cases in our year they were ridiculously strict. Don't worry about it though.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by atwn

I know someone who got in for Arch+Anth with 1 point below. I reckon if you make the specified subjects and don't bomb the entire Diploma, you would be in with a fighting chance.
Reply 1970
Hi,
Firstly, not to sound naive the following regards that i meet my offer. As the final exams are approaching i realised that after i haven't made any plans. What would you say is advisable to do during your summer holidays. I plan to catch up on my missed sleep due to revision but literally after i will have around 3 months free. I can't afford to travel at this time either. Did you work, read up on stuff, participate in events if so which? I plan to do medicine if that helps. I'm up for anything new even sports just don't know where to start.
Thanks
Reply 1971
Original post by Smason5
Hi,
Firstly, not to sound naive the following regards that i meet my offer. As the final exams are approaching i realised that after i haven't made any plans. What would you say is advisable to do during your summer holidays. I plan to catch up on my missed sleep due to revision but literally after i will have around 3 months free. I can't afford to travel at this time either. Did you work, read up on stuff, participate in events if so which? I plan to do medicine if that helps. I'm up for anything new even sports just don't know where to start.
Thanks

I'm going on holiday, and getting a job, personally :tongue:
Reply 1972
Original post by Smason5
Hi,
Thanks

Heh, do what you want because after those 3 months it's work work work (and some play but mostly work).
Reply 1973
Can you do capoeira in Cambridge? :smile:
Reply 1974
I've read that a lot of May Balls and other events have a Black Tie dress code, and it's generally worth having a dress suit for Cambridge. Question: If I've got a cheap one (I'm thinking George at Asda) nobody will care, right? I'm (probably) getting it for another event which really won't be fussy, but just checking it would get me in to stuff even when the guys at the door are likely to know a good suit from a bad one...
Original post by Aesc
I've read that a lot of May Balls and other events have a Black Tie dress code, and it's generally worth having a dress suit for Cambridge. Question: If I've got a cheap one (I'm thinking George at Asda) nobody will care, right? I'm (probably) getting it for another event which really won't be fussy, but just checking it would get me in to stuff even when the guys at the door are likely to know a good suit from a bad one...

lol cheap ones are fine.
Reply 1976
Original post by Chief Wiggum
lol cheap ones are fine.

Good :smile: I'd rather get a nice one, but my parents reckon after a year or two of uni life I won't be the same size and it'll be a waste :rolleyes:
Original post by Aesc
Good :smile: I'd rather get a nice one, but my parents reckon after a year or two of uni life I won't be the same size and it'll be a waste :rolleyes:

The general level of alcohol consumption at many cambridge black tie events mean that having a very expensive suit is almost unadvisable.
Reply 1978
Original post by illusionz
The general level of alcohol consumption at many cambridge black tie events mean that having a very expensive suit is almost unadvisable.

Awesome.
Considering the workload, do Cambridge students get time to go home at the weekends? My mum is freaking out at the prospect of not seeing me for 8 weeks (also, I'm the only person at home that cooks: I don't want my family to starve). Do you think going home maybe 3 weeks in to term for the weekend, and then getting a visit 3 weeks after would be a decent sort of possibility?

Quick Reply

Latest