The Student Room Group

Edexcel German Unit 4 exam (15th June 2012)

Hallo :smile:

There doesn't seem to be a thread for this exam so I thought I'd start one up.

I'm so nervous about this paper it's unreal. What discursive questions do you guys reckon could come up and what research based ones?

Oh, and how are you guys preparing for it?

Bis bald! :biggrin:
Reply 1
Hallooo! i'm doing this exam too, haha.
I think the discursive essay could literally be on anything at all. But we get a choice so there's definitely going to be something coming up that we can answer.
The research based essay will hopefully be an easy question seeing as this paper has never been written before. I'm doing it on a book called 'Besuch der Alten Dame' (its so boring)
Reply 2
Guys tomorrow is the exam, what do you reckon might come up for the re-search questions? how do you guys feel overall about the exam?
Reply 3
I haven't doen any revision , haha. It could be anything.
Reply 4
Original post by kingboom4
Guys tomorrow is the exam, what do you reckon might come up for the re-search questions? how do you guys feel overall about the exam?

The historical research question? Significant people, events, issues, are the typical ones but they could ask you to write about a specific year (of your choice, of course :P) or general socio-economic change over the entire period. I'm hoping for event or year but I've done a few notes on the economy if issue or the general question comes up :s-smilie:
Reply 5
Original post by Rainshine
The historical research question? Significant people, events, issues, are the typical ones but they could ask you to write about a specific year (of your choice, of course :P) or general socio-economic change over the entire period. I'm hoping for event or year but I've done a few notes on the economy if issue or the general question comes up :s-smilie:

Does the detail that you give have to be accurate or can you lie, after all it's a language exam and not a economics one. I'm a private entrant, I haven't had any lessons... so I'm kinda confused about that particular part.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by kingboom4
Does the detail that you give have to be accurate or can you lie, after all it's a language exam and not a economics one. I'm a private entrant, I haven't had any lessons... so I'm kinda confused about that particular part.

Try to be as accurate as possible obviously but I really doubt they'll be checking details, particularly as schools are free to teach pretty much any time period they want (or so I've heard). I think just putting in a few dates or quotations is enough as long as they're not unbelievable, no examiner is going to go through checking every essay for accuracy (I hope...)
Reply 7
hey guys
im currently revising for the historical study . i only done famous people and events , what particular have u studied for the significant year . i chose to study albert einstein , is there any way i could link specific year with my topic thankss guys!!
Reply 8
Original post by junglebook
hey guys
im currently revising for the historical study . i only done famous people and events , what particular have u studied for the significant year . i chose to study albert einstein , is there any way i could link specific year with my topic thankss guys!!

There's a lot of crossover between people/events/year so you can pretty much choose any year in which Einstein made significant progress or important events happened, and then spend the majority of your essay talking about that. Perhaps mention the effects the year had on the rest of history, why it's more important than other years etc. I studied the DDR so I've revised 1989, the year of the Pan-European picnic which is my event - so the two essays are very similar. You don't actually need to revise much new material at all :tongue:
Reply 9
anyone doing the aspects of modern german society... im still unsure exactly what I can write about for this? :s-smilie:
Reply 10
i'm doing the geographical research essay and was wondering if anyone knows what's come up in the past and what you think's coming up tomorrow. I'm pretty nervous :redface:
Now that the 24 hour limit is over, how did everyone find the exam?

I was really surprised that character development came up for the literature research-based essay to be honest; I thought style or themes would come up, for which I had prepared heavily :sad:
Original post by thegodofgod
Now that the 24 hour limit is over, how did everyone find the exam?

I was really surprised that character development came up for the literature research-based essay to be honest; I thought style or themes would come up, for which I had prepared heavily :sad:

I really hoped style would come up too! Although development wasn't bad at all -we'd done a mock of the presentation of a character and evaluated their importance and it was the only full mock we did, so it was pretty in our heads and it's not tooo far off development.. just developments a bit trickier..

which question did you choose for the first essay?

I can't believe i wrote Herbst for Winter when it's just Winter :facepalm:
Original post by AbsolutePotOfKurry
I really hoped style would come up too! Although development wasn't bad at all -we'd done a mock of the presentation of a character and evaluated their importance and it was the only full mock we did, so it was pretty in our heads and it's not tooo far off development.. just developments a bit trickier..

which question did you choose for the first essay?

I can't believe i wrote Herbst for Winter when it's just Winter :facepalm:

I reckon I've got at least 7, if not 8 for the translation, so I'm pretty pleased with that :smile:

For the first essay I chose the EU discursive one: whether GB should remain as an EU member. Luckily, I thought that EU / Euro / Economy was bound to come up as one of the options, so prepared a bit for that :smile:

We didn't even once talk about the Creative Writing essay instead of the Discursive essay in class, so it was actually quite a shock that it even existed :redface: - I thought the Discursive essay was compulsory :colondollar:.

How about you?
Original post by thegodofgod
I reckon I've got at least 7, if not 8 for the translation, so I'm pretty pleased with that :smile:

For the first essay I chose the EU discursive one: whether GB should remain as an EU member. Luckily, I thought that EU / Euro / Economy was bound to come up as one of the options, so prepared a bit for that :smile:

We didn't even once talk about the Creative Writing essay instead of the Discursive essay in class, so it was actually quite a shock that it even existed :redface: - I thought the Discursive essay was compulsory :colondollar:.

How about you?

WOW 7! that's... wow. Haha, I usually manage to get all the words, but never get any endings right, unless by luck, and I'm pretty sure my endings weren't right, maybe I got a 5, which is good for me, or even a 6, though I doubt that, perhaps a 4, little disappointing but hey,ho.

Ah, I thought about that, but I don't really like politics so I stubbornly drudged through the topic barely listening in class when we did that one! I did abortion - thought it was fantastic, although I tried to be 'out there' and not give the most obvious answers as many would... which in hindsight may not have worked in my favour xD There was a girl in my class who memorised loads on abortion for her speaking... so lucky.

We were only told sternly to avoid the creative essay cause it's practically impossible to get good on it xD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending