The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hello, I am going to apply for medicine in September and I am thinking about applying to Cambridge, Imperial, Barts and the London and Exeter. I am currently doing maths, biology, chemistry and Spanish and I was just wondering whether continuing with all 4 subjects at A2 would be a good idea or whether I should drop Spanish and continue with 3? :smile:
Original post by weronika_
Hello, I am going to apply for medicine in September and I am thinking about applying to Cambridge, Imperial, Barts and the London and Exeter. I am currently doing maths, biology, chemistry and Spanish and I was just wondering whether continuing with all 4 subjects at A2 would be a good idea or whether I should drop Spanish and continue with 3? :smile:

i think if u think u will be ablle to get goog grades if u do all 4 then u should give it a go:smile: but if u r alreadu finding the other subjects hard including spanish then u should drop spanish n go with the three to make sure u get the best grades :colondollar::biggrin:
Original post by foreverstrong_97
i think you should do chemistry as in my opinion will be more well respected to unis than it will for psychology yes chemistry will be harder as my cousin is doing biology chemistry and maths ( she is second year college atm) n she does have to do a lot of work so it depends. also if ur into the field of economics and finance y dnt u do economics a level as it may be an advantage :biggrin:

Thanks, for the help, I have considered the fact that chemistry is more respected. But psychology is considered as a essay course, which is also good with economics . I would take econ,but my sixth form doesn't supply it :frown:
Reply 3383
Original post by Frankster
thx - I enjoy Chemistry a LOT and I am actually good at it at GCSE level - don't know what a level is like! But I wouldn't struggle, methinks. Then it's the same with Economics w/Business. Hmmmm..

Hey, just wanted to say that I found chemistry pretty easy at GCSE as well, but I've just done AS Edexcel chemistry, and it is a hell of a lot harder than at GCSE. GCSE isn't even real chemistry tbh. I have looked through some OCR papers though, and it does seem more straightforward than our exam papers. The difficulty does vary between exam boards.

Anyway, if you enjoy it and are good at it then go for it. It's challenging, but is also one of my favourite subjects. I find it really interesting, and like learning the logic and mechanisms involved.
Original post by ummm
Hey, just wanted to say that I found chemistry pretty easy at GCSE as well, but I've just done AS Edexcel chemistry, and it is a hell of a lot harder than at GCSE. GCSE isn't even real chemistry tbh. I have looked through some OCR papers though, and it does seem more straightforward than our exam papers. The difficulty does vary between exam boards.

Anyway, if you enjoy it and are good at it then go for it. It's challenging, but is also one of my favourite subjects. I find it really interesting, and like learning the logic and mechanisms involved.

Hey -thanks for that. Our board is AQA for chem for A levels.. so yeah it may be more difficult or easier but the first unit isn't that challenging but let's see how it goes :smile:. And I personally am going to enjoy Chem more than Economics w/ Business - don't know why some people don't like it(!) :eek: haha... :wink: Thanks though!
Original post by wingycassie
Thanks, for the help, I have considered the fact that chemistry is more respected. But psychology is considered as a essay course, which is also good with economics . I would take econ,but my sixth form doesn't supply it :frown:

Ur welcome n if u feel that u would genually do better in physcology then do that because good grades are better than having better a levels but having them at a low grades so yh go 4 it n do u have 2 go 2 the sixth form u have chosen u can try other sixth forms or colleges that do economics :biggrin::wink:

p.s. i am also struggling 2 choose which fourth a -level to choose i want 2 do economics but i dnt knnow if that is appropraite 4 unis as i wanna do medicine in uni
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3386
I'm at a crossroads with two of the four subjects I want to take. I want to do either Maths or Computing (or both) at university. I definitely want to do Maths and Further Maths at A-level, and then it's a combination of Chemistry, Computing and Physics for my other options. I don't particularly want to do five, since lots of people said it's a lot of extra work. I'm not really sure what would be the best subjects to take, especially since I'm doing Computing at GCSE too, so there could be a lot of overlap in the theory work?
Original post by Jade10128
I'm looking for a bit of help please
Basically, I've just completed AS Levels and have started going back for a month for A2 levels until we break up for summer.
I studied:
History of Art, Fine Art, English Language and Geography AS Levels and will get the results in August. Predicted A, A (History of Art and Fine Art), and C, C (English and Geography).
My dilemma is that History of Art was only an AS course, and although I am confident I have done well in it and most likely achieved my A in it, along with Fine art, I cannot continue it as my college does not have the funding. This considered I would definitely continue with Fine Art and Geography. However, I am REALLY not keen on English language (AQA B) having done it for a year and I feel I will of failed the AS Level, as I really did struggle with it. :frown: So my question is, what should I keep on at A2 alongside doing Fine Art, Geography. Should I stick out English Language for another year even though I can't stand it, and will end up getting a crappy grade, or pick up another AS/Extended Project Qualification with these two ALevels instead??
Please help, sorry if it didn't make sense :/

If you want to go into a decent higher education institution, there's no point having less than three A levels so you have no choice but to carry on with English. If not, only study the ASs, A2s and so on that you want to because you can only make the most of a course you enjoy.
Original post by benpearson1
Biology
Chemistry
History
Physics/Maths/Politics

Could anyone give me a hand on my fourth AS choice? Originally I chose Politics (I can still change) but I've begun warming to the idea of Maths. Not sure about choosing either Maths or Physics, I know they both complement each other well but I definitely won't be doing both. If anyone could give me any advice on the choice it would be appreciated.

Do you know what you want to do at uni? Chemistry is more of a challenge if you don't have A level maths, biology perhaps less so, while universities will prefer you to have studied politics rather than sciences alongside history A level. If you're not bothered about prioritising for uni, then just pick what you find most interesting because it's genuine interest in your subject that gets you through A levels :smile:
Ur welcome n if u feel that u would genually do better in physcology then do that because good grades are better than having better a levels but having them at a low grades so yh go 4 it n do u have 2 go 2 the sixth form u have chosen u can try other sixth forms or colleges that do economics :biggrin::wink:

p.s. i am also struggling 2 choose which fourth a -level to choose i want 2 do economics but i dnt knnow if that is appropraite 4 unis as i wanna do medicine in uni

I suppose I still have time to re-think things. Which one opens more career options? I did apply for woodhouse, which does offer economics, but I really didn't like the atmosphere of it....I also didn't get a direct offer, but was put on a waiting list, since my predicted grade was so low :mad: I'm just glad, that a level economics is not required.

Replying back to your problems:- As long as you got at least two sciences, then it's okay what you take your 4th subject. If you like economics, you should do it for it may show that you are well rounded person. What other subjects did you take?
I heard its not advisable to do both Economics and Business studies at A level, is this true?
Original post by MB2Z
Do 20 alevels just so you can cover everything medicine might possibly be related to.

Unless you just enjoy doing the work, 4 should be easily enough, you are doing the important ones for medicine, maths and chem. :smile:

Biology and chem.
Original post by chloe--
I'm at a crossroads with two of the four subjects I want to take. I want to do either Maths or Computing (or both) at university. I definitely want to do Maths and Further Maths at A-level, and then it's a combination of Chemistry, Computing and Physics for my other options. I don't particularly want to do five, since lots of people said it's a lot of extra work. I'm not really sure what would be the best subjects to take, especially since I'm doing Computing at GCSE too, so there could be a lot of overlap in the theory work?

I would do Maths, FM, Physics and then one out of computing or Chemistry (computing isn't that much of a requirement, as many colleges don't offer it :wink: )

But do what you think you will enjoy most out of those. I should think maths and Ohysics are quite impotent though.
Original post by Miss.someone
I heard its not advisable to do both Economics and Business studies at A level, is this true?

The content crosses over. My friend wants to do economics and management and was advised against doing con and business together for this reason. I'd keep con and choose another subject if that's what you wanted to do :smile:
Thanks a million
Original post by Miss.someone
I plan on studying journalism, which subjects would be wise to take ?

I've spoken to a real journalist who says that English isn't entirely necessary. He says to study to your interests and that can span both science and arts.

Maths
Biolog
Chemistry
Physics
English
History
Languages
Geography
Etc etc etc. :smile:

If you want to do a journalism degree, then English may be a requirement, however a journalism degree isn't necessarily a way into journalism. Genuine interest, good writing and amiability, alongside hard work and an interest in the media (eg school/university newspaper, other media internships etc)
Original post by wingycassie
I suppose I still have time to re-think things. Which one opens more career options? I did apply for woodhouse, which does offer economics, but I really didn't like the atmosphere of it....I also didn't get a direct offer, but was put on a waiting list, since my predicted grade was so low :mad: I'm just glad, that a level economics is not required.

Replying back to your problems:- As long as you got at least two sciences, then it's okay what you take your 4th subject. If you like economics, you should do it for it may show that you are well rounded person. What other subjects did you take?

i think if u do physcology then u may be able to become a phycologists as well if u do chemistry then u will be able to go in the line of medicine (like me) or be a chemists. also have u tried grammer schools like latymer or henrietta they are good and 1 of the top they both do economics as well so it will be even better :biggrin::smile:

as for me i know i need to take the three i have already chosen but i dnt know whether i should do economics or history as i wanna choose the right one that will look gd wen i apply 4 uni:confused:
thank u btw:smile:
Reply 3397
I want to go into business

LAW A-LEVEL or MATHS A-LEVEL (predicted B at gcse)
i think if u do physcology then u may be able to become a phycologists as well if u do chemistry then u will be able to go in the line of medicine (like me) or be a chemists. also have u tried grammer schools like latymer or henrietta they are good and 1 of the top they both do economics as well so it will be even better :biggrin::smile:

as for me i know i need to take the three i have already chosen but i dnt know whether i should do economics or history as i wanna choose the right one that will look gd wen i apply 4 uni:confused:
thank u btw:smile:

hmm,I see what you mean, psychologists as a career defo sounds more appealing to me, I cant imagine myself going into meds .I didnt apply to grammer schools, cause I cant handle the stress well :s-smilie:. My sis went to Henrietta,who is currently studying biochem in Oxford. She was originally going to take meds, I think she biology,chemistry, pure maths and arithmetic maths (?). but yh your welcome ^^. if you want to look good for unis, i advise you to take history
Reply 3399
GCSE grades 2A*s 4As 1B 2Cs
A level grades Maths A* Chemistry A* Biology A* Physics A are they good enough for Medical schools like UCL or imperial college of medicine

Latest