The Student Room Group

breaking up with boyfriend

Basically I need to break up with my boyfriend - I don't want to and the thought makes me so sad but I need to because we argue so much and it's really taken its toll on both of us, I myself have been so upset lately

He's promising he'll change but some of the arguments have been so severe and firstly I don't know if I believe he'll change and secondly have I just been through too much to carry on?

However we are in the middle of exams so there is no way I can even think about it now because we're under a lot of pressure with these exams, however straight after exams is prom which we're expecting to attend together and then I'm going on a girls holiday shortly after

I'm worried if I break up with him before prom it will be a sad and awkward time rather than a happy time, and worried that if I break up with him before I go on holiday people will think it's just because I want to be a slut on holiday has

Like I said the thought of breaking up with him makes me more upset than I can say but I've been feeling 'not quite right' and unhappy for a while, also I'm going travelling next year and I see no way that our relationship is currently strong enough to survive that, however he is insistent that things will change and improve...

What should I do?
Stay with him until after prom. Then break up with him there. Like they do in the movies
Argh, sounds tough. I'd definitely wait until after exams - even if you don't think it'll affect you that much, it does quite a bit.

But then, if you break up straight after prom, then maybe it'll seem like you're using him? (look like you just didn't want to go on your own) That being said, if he's already going...

So, at least wait until after exams, but before the holiday. Honestly, people won't think you're a slut - you're going on a girl's holiday, just say that it's about being with friends rather than anything else and you're sorted.
Reply 3
Original post by stillgotlegs
Argh, sounds tough. I'd definitely wait until after exams - even if you don't think it'll affect you that much, it does quite a bit.

But then, if you break up straight after prom, then maybe it'll seem like you're using him? (look like you just didn't want to go on your own) That being said, if he's already going...

So, at least wait until after exams, but before the holiday. Honestly, people won't think you're a slut - you're going on a girl's holiday, just say that it's about being with friends rather than anything else and you're sorted.

Thank you for the advice :smile: I've spoken to my mum about it and she's saying I'm far too worried about what people think! It's just the issue of prom really, not sure what to do about that but I have a little while to decide!
Reply 4
I d break up after exams but before prom, and if he wants to go to prom as friends then ok if not he can suit himself, I am sure you can find a suitable guy to take you.

You shouldn't just drop it on him though. You should give him a hint something like "We need a serious talk after our exams"

This way you can see how he behaves until your exams are over, may be it ll change him, it would be worth keeping the peasant for a bit longer. Otherwise you know what to do.
Reply 5
Original post by lad-lad
I d break up after exams but before prom, and if he wants to go to prom as friends then ok if not he can suit himself, I am sure you can find a suitable guy to take you.

You shouldn't just drop it on him though. You should give him a hint something like "We need a serious talk after our exams"

This way you can see how he behaves until your exams are over, may be it ll change him, it would be worth keeping the peasant for a bit longer. Otherwise you know what to do.

Yeah I wouldn't just drop it on him, he knows it's a possibility but I've told him we need to put things aside until after exams... Thank you, the absolute worst problem I find is just letting him "suit himself" because I can't stand to see people I care about unhappy and I do still care so much about him...
Reply 6
Go to ur prom with friends :smile: they r less clingy and don't get annoyed if u dance with other guys :smile: just break up with him! I waited until after the exams for the same reason but it was hard work! I just told hm to back off! Xxx
Reply 7
Original post by Ashan17
Go to ur prom with friends :smile: they r less clingy and don't get annoyed if u dance with other guys :smile: just break up with him! I waited until after the exams for the same reason but it was hard work! I just told hm to back off! Xxx

Thank you! I can kind of see him deciding not to go to prom if we're not together and that makes me so sad :frown: but yes I think I'll have to do what you're suggesting!x
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you! I can kind of see him deciding not to go to prom if we're not together and that makes me so sad :frown: but yes I think I'll have to do what you're suggesting!x

Hey, from a guys perspective, I think you should break with him asap, and before the prom.:smile: But try and keep it sort of....I don't know, as light as you can, and say that you can go to prom together but as long as he knows it is now as friends. (dont go to prom with another guy, for gods sake, that would be heartbreaking no matter if he has been a dick to you or whatever :frown:). haha.

But, yeah, keep it light. Say we can still go to prom together, but as friends. And then the days after, your friends and his friends can find out that you've broke etc and then once you go on holiday, clear your head and after the holiday thats where things get strict and you start to be firm with him if he is pestering to get back with you.

Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending