The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by ranbow99
I passed on my 7th time, I know how it feels to want to give up, but please carry on and you WILL pass!
I honestly was about to give up if I didn't pass my 7th test, and when the examiner said I passed I was in shock for the whole day! But it is an amazing feeling to know that you never have to take a test again and can drive on your own :biggrin:

I used to read posts like this one and think "i'm never going to pass!" or "i've failed the last 6 tests so it is unlikely i'm going to pass the 7th" but you never know :smile: Seriously, you can all do it and don't worry about what other people say (i've had a fair few comments and jokes because i've failed so many times, it must mean i'm a bad driver :rolleyes:), because if you can pass your test, it means you ARE a good driver.

I just wanted to use myself as an example to people who have failed a few times and feel like they'll never pass, that it is possible! A big mistake that I did was the more times I failed, the more my confidence in passing the test went down, which made me go into the test thinking i'll probably fail. But my last test I just kept telling myself I can do this and I have to pass this.

Sorry i've gone into a bit of a ramble, but you get my point! If anyone wants to talk about it more with me feel free!
Good luck with your tests :smile:

I like to see the light in the end of the tunnel and thanks for sharing your experience with SEVEN trials of practical tests, can I ask you did you repeat them in the same test centres? or did you tend to change them?

Some people say, it's better to change the centre to avoid the bitter experience of the previous test. Others say, the chances going to the same centre is better as you will get to know about the routes and roads etc. :smile:

So i assume you're in the best position in answering that, and OMG I'm so desperate to pass this test, it's funny and odd at the same time that I already got my international license yet, can't pass the british one.. :confused:

:smile:
Reply 161
You know, forget about it... ;x No jokes in this thread! sorry.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by medic86
I like to see the light in the end of the tunnel and thanks for sharing your experience with SEVEN trials of practical tests, can I ask you did you repeat them in the same test centres? or did you tend to change them?

Some people say, it's better to change the centre to avoid the bitter experience of the previous test. Others say, the chances going to the same centre is better as you will get to know about the routes and roads etc. :smile:

So i assume you're in the best position in answering that, and OMG I'm so desperate to pass this test, it's funny and odd at the same time that I already got my international license yet, can't pass the british one.. :confused:

:smile:

Yeah I changed after my fifth go, but the new test route had so many different routes and was generally not nice (which I didn't realise before changing!) so I changed back for my 7th test to the original route and passed :smile:

I think it depends on what the new test route that you're thinking of doing is like. If it is said to be harder, then best not to change as you'll have to learn loads of new routes/tricky roundabouts. But if the test route seems quieter and generally easier, then it might be best to change. But make sure before your test you know all the routes, as you want to be sure of where you're going so you can concentrate on your driving. (and also very helpful for the independent driving if you know where you're going!)

But even though I took my test 6 times in that test route, the examiner still took me down roads i'd never seen before, so it is inevitable you'll probably be taken places you don't know!

But yeah, it's up to you. I found with the first test centre everytime I went it reminded me of failing, but when I changed for one test it was such a horrible and hard test, I thought I have to change back!
Good luck :biggrin:
Reply 163
I failed twice before I passed. 1st time I had one major and no minors, the major was for doing 40 on a 50 road which sucked :frown:
The second time I had 1 minor 1 major, the major being that I was doing 55 on the SAME 50 road! Lol, me and that road didn't get on.
And the third time, I was so so sooo nervous and sort of down, I didn't believe I was going to pass. The whole drive I was shaky and stuff, and about half an hour into it, my examiner said 'I can't deal with you being this nervous, I feel so sorry for you!' and showed me the sheet, which he shouldn't have done but which helped immensely. I passed but completely believed I was doomed for failure.
Don't give up! The feeling when they say 'you've passed' is indescribable, seriously.
Reply 164
Original post by pinda.college
I take it the car was indicating to turn into your road? Unlucky, just remember to look left right and all your mirrors before stopping/moving off:smile:

Good luck for next time.

What have the majors been in your previous attempts?

I'm a little behind times so I apologise this is a month late!

first test I had 2 majors: one for going onto the roundabout in the right hand lane but exiting in the left (had I stayed on the right hand side and moved over after it would've been fine) and the 2nd I had to stop at as I couldn't tell for the life in me whether it was green or red due to the sun.. turns out it was red..

2nd test was terrible.. 3 majors.. I won't even go into it.

3rd I finally felt at ease but I'd doubled my lessons a week. 1 major for trying to pull onto a roundabout when a car was coming all the way around (and not exiting like I assumed) even though I was definitely in the wrong I really did have enough time to leave regardless of where he was going but I learnt!

4th test and 1 major = I decided to answer the examiners million questions (he really didnt stop talking the whole way through!!) right at the moment of entering a 20 zone.. completely didn't see it and so he slowed me down as I would've gone through a speed camera at 24!

I then passed my 5th but this isnt the thread for announcing such news. :-)
Reply 165
Original post by medic86
when I told my instructor I have chosen Failsworth, he mentioned to me you better off to West Didsbury or Cheetham Hill as their roads are better.
"Better" in what way? Better is such a subjective term... If you can drive properly, you can handle all roads in Failsworth, Cheetham, Didsbury, Barnet, Hornchurch, Basildon... All test routes are approved to be of uniform difficulty despite their idiosyncrasies.

Use the centre that's local to you. Don't let your instructor dictate where to go. If he's trying to influence your choice, citing doubts about your ability to drive in a particular area, this raises questions about his training ability.
Reply 166
Original post by ranbow99
I passed on my 7th time, I know how it feels to want to give up, but please carry on and you WILL pass!
I honestly was about to give up if I didn't pass my 7th test, and when the examiner said I passed I was in shock for the whole day! But it is an amazing feeling to know that you never have to take a test again and can drive on your own :biggrin:

I used to read posts like this one and think "i'm never going to pass!" or "i've failed the last 6 tests so it is unlikely i'm going to pass the 7th" but you never know :smile: Seriously, you can all do it and don't worry about what other people say (i've had a fair few comments and jokes because i've failed so many times, it must mean i'm a bad driver :rolleyes:), because if you can pass your test, it means you ARE a good driver.

I just wanted to use myself as an example to people who have failed a few times and feel like they'll never pass, that it is possible! A big mistake that I did was the more times I failed, the more my confidence in passing the test went down, which made me go into the test thinking i'll probably fail. But my last test I just kept telling myself I can do this and I have to pass this.

Sorry i've gone into a bit of a ramble, but you get my point! If anyone wants to talk about it more with me feel free!
Good luck with your tests :smile:

Hey:smile: I just read your message and it gave me a glimmer of hope. I have failed my test 3 times so far, but I honestly feel like I will never pass. My confidence has slipped and slipped especially because most people in my year at school have all passed:frown: I am literally one of the handful that haven't. It has made me feel really behind, even tho I know it's not a race!
How did you overcome the nerves in the end? Did you get many majors in your last tests? (I did D: ) Did you take it in your instructors car? Oh and did any of your friends take a while to pass? All mine have passed really quickly:/ Sorry for all the Qs.. it's just so nice to actually hear of someone else who has been in this position!
I will keep trying though.. clinging on to the hope that ooneee dayyyy..! :smile:
Thankyou for posting because you have given me inspiration to carry on, although I reckon I'll have to take the flipping test about another 10 times myself grrr xx
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 167
Failed my test first time today :mad2:. Had 19 Minors and 1 serious. Couldnt believe it as I actually thought that I was driving beautifully :hmmmm:. So far, that was the best drive I have done and funny enough I didnt feel nervous at all. Got 3 minors for approaching speed and 3 minors for appropriate speed. No faults on my manoeuvres (had parallel park).

My serious was for Safety. Because they were parked cars on both sides and my speed wasnt down enough, he said it could have resulted in a collision and I told him that I made sure there was space between the car approaching and the parked cars but he said my speed wasnt low enough so I got a serious for that.

I stalled once towards the end at a roundabout and I got a minor for that, 2 minors for observation (he didnt explain that, though I made sure I was looking at the mirrors all the time) 1 for timed signal (Im guessing I gave the signal too early or late, he didnt explain that either) another minor for use of speed etc

Came home and gave myself a good cry because I thought it went well. Hurts even more that more than £100 has just gone down the drain. If it was any consoltation, my instructor told me that no one else who took the test the time I did passed, so everyone failed which got me a little suspicious. Did they fail eveeyone or were we all just bad drivers. Anyway rant over :rant: back to the drawing board.
Original post by quanyin
Failed my test first time today :mad2:. Had 19 Minors and 1 serious. Couldnt believe it as I actually thought that I was driving beautifully :hmmmm:. So far, that was the best drive I have done and funny enough I didnt feel nervous at all. Got 3 minors for approaching speed and 3 minors for appropriate speed. No faults on my manoeuvres (had parallel park).

My serious was for Safety. Because they were parked cars on both sides and my speed wasnt down enough, he said it could have resulted in a collision and I told him that I made sure there was space between the car approaching and the parked cars but he said my speed wasnt low enough so I got a serious for that.

I stalled once towards the end at a roundabout and I got a minor for that, 2 minors for observation (he didnt explain that, though I made sure I was looking at the mirrors all the time) 1 for timed signal (Im guessing I gave the signal too early or late, he didnt explain that either) another minor for use of speed etc

Came home and gave myself a good cry because I thought it went well. Hurts even more that more than £100 has just gone down the drain. If it was any consoltation, my instructor told me that no one else who took the test the time I did passed, so everyone failed which got me a little suspicious. Did they fail eveeyone or were we all just bad drivers. Anyway rant over :rant: back to the drawing board.

19 minors! Not to be rude, but maybe you should book a few more lessons before you take your next test. Good luck for next time. :smile:
Reply 169
Original post by Advisor
"Better" in what way? Better is such a subjective term... If you can drive properly, you can handle all roads in Failsworth, Cheetham, Didsbury, Barnet, Hornchurch, Basildon... All test routes are approved to be of uniform difficulty despite their idiosyncrasies.

Use the centre that's local to you. Don't let your instructor dictate where to go. If he's trying to influence your choice, citing doubts about your ability to drive in a particular area, this raises questions about his training ability.

To be honest I have to agree with you, but he said that in terms of the roads at these areas Failsworth is a bit narrow roads with and based on the pass rates which is around 43%, compared to Cheetham hill which is 49%.

I'm a quite confident driver, already got my international license for 8 years, however it seems that I'm not able to pass for silly mistakes, last test I got failed for appropriate speed had more than 5 minors which accounts as a major after that. The examiner turned to me and said, you were driving 20-25 mph in a 30mph road and we reached the examination centre by 7 minutes late! so I am kind a bit unlucky, he could obviously pass me, by only marking couple of minors up to 5 for reducing the speed, but its harsh and painful to fail. :smile: Anyways, we will see how the next one goes.
Original post by avhhs
Well I passed first time today at Southall, with 8 minors.

I remember when I was booking it people that I know were telling me to book it for Isleworth, as the roads near the Southall test centre are narrow and generally everyone else around drives crap, causing problems. But I booked it for Southall after I saw how long the waiting list was (7 weeks at Southall vs 11 weeks at Isleworth). I suppose Isleworth has very few 20mph limits whereas Southall has loads. And the roundabouts there are probably easier. 3 of the minors were for hesitation. But at least I passed, so who cares :biggrin:.

Have you posted in the wrong thread by accident, or are you just trying to brag?
I failed because I missed someones right signal at the roundabout and the examiner had to press the break aah...then i narrowly missed a car coming from my right on the same roundabout and he put the brake on again...it was all nerves
Reply 172
Im so gutted, I failed my first time on Monday :frown: only had 3 minors, 2 of which were hesitations :/ then we were nearly back at the test centre, I pulled out onto a busy road and looked right and saw a 40mph sign and then turned left where the speed limit was only 30 but I was going about 37 because I thought it was a 40 :frown: Better luck next time!
Reply 173
The awkward moment when you try to turn one way at traffic lights and the examiner slams on the breaks, saying you would have broken the law... Thankfully I passed my second time but I think that had more to do with the fact it was an old, slightly senile examiner!
Reply 174
Original post by medic86
To be honest I have to agree with you, but he said that in terms of the roads at these areas Failsworth is a bit narrow roads with and based on the pass rates which is around 43%, compared to Cheetham hill which is 49%.
Pass rates are not your chance of passing, it's purely a figure that shows what proportion of the population passed there in any given time period in the past. The figure is largely based on the local demographic of people attempting their tests at a centre. If more people attend a centre who are from deprived areas, sink estates, areas with high immigrant populations who don't understand English and don't even know which side of the road we drive on, then that alone will lower the pass rate. Nothing to do with the narrowness of the roads, and certainly nothing to do with how you drive on the day.

Regarding those figures, your instructor is way out with his. Actually, the Cheetham Hill pass rate for 2011 was 42.3% while Failsworth's was 41%, so only just over a percent difference. Data from here: http://assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/dsa-practical-test-statistics-car/dsa0201.xls It could be that he's repeating unfounded hearsay from a decade ago, or will say anything to save him driving to a centre he doesn't want to go to. You decide.
Reply 175
Original post by thompsonic7
Have you posted in the wrong thread by accident, or are you just trying to brag?

Was a mistake :colondollar:

Good luck to everyone else taking their test! :yy: :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by avhhs
Was a mistake :colondollar:

Good luck to everyone else taking their test! :yy: :smile:

Isint southall meant to be the harder one due to the big roundabouts and stuff?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 177
Original post by angela4910
Isint southall meant to be the harder one due to the big roundabouts and stuff?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Yes. One of the roundabouts I had to use has 5 exits (including the one where you originally came from :tongue:). Luckily I had to use the 1st :biggrin:. Could have easily needed the 4th. There was another roundabout where I spent a while, and this I believe led to a minor. That one is smaller, less busy and has no traffic lights. But I passed anyway :smile:.
Original post by medic86

I'm a quite confident driver, already got my international license for 8 years, however it seems that I'm not able to pass for silly mistakes, last test I got failed for appropriate speed had more than 5 minors which accounts as a major after that. The examiner turned to me and said, you were driving 20-25 mph in a 30mph road and we reached the examination centre by 7 minutes late! so I am kind a bit unlucky, he could obviously pass me, by only marking couple of minors up to 5 for reducing the speed, but its harsh and painful to fail. :smile: Anyways, we will see how the next one goes.

Bear in mind that a couple of the West Didsbury test routes cover A5103 princess parkway which is main road leading onto the M56 and also a junction for M60 coming onto it. A lot a lane changing involved if you get this particular route. It all depends on your weaknesses and what you are used to.

The examiners are nice though
(edited 11 years ago)
Failed my theory test. So pissed. I did so well in the multiple choice, bombed out of the hazard perception, I got 0 in several of them because "My response was unacceptable" and I clicked too much. Ie: I clicked once when I saw something I thought might be a hazard, and several times if the hazard developed. What an irresponsible biatch I am. Looking forward to my driving instructors pissed off face and the triumphant expressions of some of my friends. Hooray. Still, no big deal. Just have to pay for another one. :colonhash: When I don't have enough money right now. Dayum.

Latest

Trending

Trending