The Student Room Group

What do you want to know about Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by katieburns92
Considering the workload, do Cambridge students get time to go home at the weekends? My mum is freaking out at the prospect of not seeing me for 8 weeks (also, I'm the only person at home that cooks: I don't want my family to starve). Do you think going home maybe 3 weeks in to term for the weekend, and then getting a visit 3 weeks after would be a decent sort of possibility?

It depends on your subject, supervisors, etc. Personally I was able to go home a few times a term to watch the football (I have a season ticket) without any problem. :smile:
Original post by alex_hk90
It depends on your subject, supervisors, etc. Personally I was able to go home a few times a term to watch the football (I have a season ticket) without any problem. :smile:

Well, I'm doing PPS....don't suppose you know if that's on of the more work-intense subjects or not? :smile:
Reply 1982
Well, I'm doing PPS....don't suppose you know if that's on of the more work-intense subjects or not? :smile:

I imagine you'll be fine - I think you get deadlines in advance so you can plan your work around it, and if all else fails you can always take work home. (P.S. It might help to start teaching your family to cook now so that they'll be competent by the time you leave!)
Reply 1983
Original post by Aesc
I've read that a lot of May Balls and other events have a Black Tie dress code, and it's generally worth having a dress suit for Cambridge. Question: If I've got a cheap one (I'm thinking George at Asda) nobody will care, right? I'm (probably) getting it for another event which really won't be fussy, but just checking it would get me in to stuff even when the guys at the door are likely to know a good suit from a bad one...

Nobody cares, I can say from experience - I took a bus out to Bar Hill and got my black tie outfit for less than £40 the night before the first dinner I needed it for, because no-one had bothered to tell me the event was black tie...

I've been using it ever since and no-one's ever given me any trouble, or frankly even noticed.

You should be fine. :smile:
Reply 1985
What's the accommodation like at Downing College and are there en-suites for first years?
Reply 1986
About ums scores... Do i only have to send those that count towards my a2s and ases? If i have done full a-level in a year and i can use my m2 and s1 grades (because they have higher score) towards my final grade would i have to include other units which i haven't done so well on (s2 in particular), implying i want to do economics?
Original post by soempty
About ums scores... Do i only have to send those that count towards my a2s and ases? If i have done full a-level in a year and i can use my m2 and s1 grades (because they have higher score) towards my final grade would i have to include other units which i haven't done so well on (s2 in particular), implying i want to do economics?

When I applied (2008 cycle) you were required to submit UMS for all the modules you had taken, regardless of whether or not you have certificated (or plan to certificate) them.
Reply 1988
Original post by alex_hk90
When I applied (2008 cycle) you were required to submit UMS for all the modules you had taken, regardless of whether or not you have certificated (or plan to certificate) them.

That sucks...
Reply 1989
Are the seats in the eating/lunch area comfortable?

Thank you in advance.
Original post by cyfer
Are the seats in the eating/lunch area comfortable?

Thank you in advance.

:lolwut: any specific college or department? Whenever I've been to Cambridge I've been very comfortable when eating
Reply 1991
Original post by tooambitious
:lolwut: any specific college or department? Whenever I've been to Cambridge I've been very comfortable when eating

Trinity college specifically, sorry I forgot to mention it!

Many thanks for your reply.
Original post by cyfer
Trinity college specifically, sorry I forgot to mention it!

Many thanks for your reply.

Ive eaten at trinity and as far as I remember, yes it's fine, tbh I don't gunk it's something to worry about haha
Reply 1993
I have a question, when do offer holders have to fill in accommodation applications and etc? Is it during the summer or after you have met your offer since I have not heard from them yet!
Reply 1994
Original post by fruktas
I have a question, when do offer holders have to fill in accommodation applications and etc? Is it during the summer or after you have met your offer since I have not heard from them yet!

I think they wait for the August result to be released (for ALevel) just to make sure that everyone has the same chance of applying. I have seen somewhere the system is 'first come first serve' but I couldnt really remember where.

Hope that helps.
Reply 1995
Original post by fruktas

It depends on the college I believe, I know at my college (Caius) all first year accommodation is randomly allocated so I just get told where I'm staying.
Why is M&S in two bits?
Original post by Norfolkadam
Why is M&S in two bits?

There isn't much space in Cambridge town centre.
Reply 1998
I'm not sure whether to apply for next year or not.

I'm predicted BBC in English l, film studies and philosophy so not sure whether it'll be a waste of my time going through the heartache of it all? I play 5 a side football in my spare time and use this quite a lot which I'm hoping will make me stand out a bit, but what's your opinions?
Original post by tinman1
I'm not sure whether to apply for next year or not.

I'm predicted BBC in English l, film studies and philosophy so not sure whether it'll be a waste of my time going through the heartache of it all? I play 5 a side football in my spare time and use this quite a lot which I'm hoping will make me stand out a bit, but what's your opinions?

What do you want to apply for and is there a reason why your grades are so far below the entry requirements (typically A*AA now)?

Quick Reply