The Student Room Group

Anyone taking gcse OCR penillin test this friday?

If so do you know what percent of the overall grade it is?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my Sony Tablet S
Reply 1
I think it's 35% - Controlled assesment being 25% and the other exam being 40%
:smile:
Reply 2

-what are you studying for penicillin? im studying fleming, florey snd chains contributions and whos was more significant. Im not sure what else they can ask?

Reply 3
The Exam on Tuesday was 75 marks.
The Controlled Assessment is 50 marks I think.
The Exam on Friday is 50 marks.

So the exam is probably worth around 30-35%
Reply 4
Original post by California1970

-what are you studying for penicillin? im studying fleming, florey snd chains contributions and whos was more significant. Im not sure what else they can ask?

Fleming wasn't the first person to discover penicillin, go a few decades further back :wink:
Basically you're mostly being assessed on your source skills, of course you will need to include own knowledge- could someone tell me if I'd be correct in saying...?
Penicillin had previously been discovered by Joseph Lister and although he wrote a letter to his brother about it, he didn't really develop his findings.
Afterwards in 1928 Alexander Flemming, a Scots man who worked at St Mary's hospital was doing research with some Staphylococci bacteria, he went on holiday and left the window and when he returned he found penicillium notatum a mould substance had killed off the Staphylococci! He realised that this was an important discovery and he published a report on it in 1929 he also wrote in the British Journal of experimental pathology talking about the benefits of penicillin, not much happened for a while, then Oxford research scientists Howard Florey and Ernst Chain read his reports and they perfected a way of extracting an d purifying penicillin, they carried out numerous experiments such as testing on 8 mice they also used milk bottles and the latest freeze dry technology and the found that penicillin was effective! On the first of February 1941, they tested Penicillin on a policemen, this again proved to me effective however the main problem was they could not produce enough of it and therefore later he died.
Florey went to America to persuade the government to fund mass production, they had just entered the war therefore they wanted a strong army so they funded $80 million to four different drug companies in order for penicillin to be mass produced. It was estimated that 12-15% of allied soldiers would have died in World War Two had it not been for Penicillin.

Any thing else I could add?
Thanks guys :smile:
Reply 6

Yeah, there might also be a question on which country was more important (US or UK).
This paper is mainly about how you work with the sources though.
Reply 7
If so do you know what percent of the overall grade it is?

I am! I'm quite nervous, I find source questions the most difficult simply because I usually forget to evaluate reliability etc :/ I'm really struggling with the timing because I tend to write too much and have to cram in my last answer in ten minutes, so does anyone have any ideas how much time I should spend on each question depending on the amount of marks? Say a question has six marks, what's the maximum amount of time I should spend on it? :smile:
Original post by Emrys141
I am! I'm quite nervous, I find source questions the most difficult simply because I usually forget to evaluate reliability etc :/ I'm really struggling with the timing because I tend to write too much and have to cram in my last answer in ten minutes, so does anyone have any ideas how much time I should spend on each question depending on the amount of marks? Say a question has six marks, what's the maximum amount of time I should spend on it? :smile:

About 10 mins, double the marks, take away two and convert in to minutes.
Reply 9
Original post by Icantthinkofausern
Basically you're mostly being assessed on your source skills, of course you will need to include own knowledge- could someone tell me if I'd be correct in saying...?
Penicillin had previously been discovered by Joseph Lister and although he wrote a letter to his brother about it, he didn't really develop his findings.
Afterwards in 1928 Alexander Flemming, a Scots man who worked at St Mary's hospital was doing research with some Staphylococci bacteria, he went on holiday and left the window and when he returned he found penicillium notatum a mould substance had killed off the Staphylococci! He realised that this was an important discovery and he published a report on it in 1929 he also wrote in the British Journal of experimental pathology talking about the benefits of penicillin, not much happened for a while, then Oxford research scientists Howard Florey and Ernst Chain read his reports and they perfected a way of extracting an d purifying penicillin, they carried out numerous experiments such as testing on 8 mice they also used milk bottles and the latest freeze dry technology and the found that penicillin was effective! On the first of February 1941, they tested Penicillin on a policemen, this again proved to me effective however the main problem was they could not produce enough of it and therefore later he died.
Florey went to America to persuade the government to fund mass production, they had just entered the war therefore they wanted a strong army so they funded $80 million to four different drug companies in order for penicillin to be mass produced. It was estimated that 12-15% of allied soldiers would have died in World War Two had it not been for Penicillin.

Any thing else I could add?
Thanks guys :smile:

In the early 19th century John Sanderson discovered it, and commented on how very little fee around it...but apart from that I think that's it! Maybe know the dates they went to America/ got funding/ masses produced it?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending