The Student Room Group

Fitness FAQ - Fat/Weightloss/Bulking

Scroll to see replies

Original post by annoymouse

I was thinking of the special k diet to cut my calories down really low then very low fat meals. with the gym at least 5 times a week for an hour / hour & half. .

Terrible, terrible, terrible. :frown:

First rule of dieting, do not drink your calories. Do not have them in liquid form. This is because you digest liquids really quickly, the sugar goes into your blood stream, gives you a quick hit, which then subsides, and then you are hungtu later.

When you eat special K, I am assuming you have it with milk. Milk is full of calories and gives you a sugar hit. Very bad for dieting. The milk is the problem.

Secondly, low fat is myth. What matter is calories, not fat. Fat is just things like omega 3 and 6. Fat in food is not like fat on your belly. The fat on your belly derives from calorie surpluses (taking in more energy than you use up).

Infact, fat of certain types are absolutely brilliant for you. Like the fats in nuts or fish oil.

If it says its low fat on the packet, that means it high in sugar based calories, which is worse. Low fat food is a massive scam.
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm pretty much the same as you, measurements and all. But I have 3 months until my holiday and I can't do any other exercise apart from walking just now so all I can do is reduce my calorie intake for the meantime. When I can exercise again, I'm planning on running every other day and going to the gym and eating no more than 1000 cals a day. I've already lost 6lbs in 2 weeks, so I'm hoping to lose between 2 and 3 stone before my holiday.
In terms of your OP - Avoid fad diets, just go on a sensible and well balanced calorie restricted 'diet' - Read the stickys

There's nothing wrong with dietry fat, just limit saturated fat.
Avoid/limit sugar
Replace the special K with rolled oats, and replace milk with almond milk
Keep protein high, fats medium and carbs as low as possible while still maintaining enough energy to exercise/function properly.

Combine with proper exercise, both steady state cardio and some intervals, as well as some proper resistance training = win
(edited 11 years ago)
No im not a troll.

and exams have impended on gym going too :frown:

Well i dont think im hideously ugly. I can pull 10 guys in one given night.

I didn't say you were hideously ugly. I said 'unless you look hideously fat/ugly'. Please read my post properly. And thank you for proving my point. You can pull 10 guys in one night, and on holiday it's going to be even easier. Begs the question really, why do you want to lose weight for your holiday? Do you want to make other females envious of your body? Do you want to pull the top 1% of fittest guys there? If it's just to be healthy or a similar reason, you would have educated yourself a while before this holiday, been going to the gym for months and actively made it part of your lifestyle, well before exams. The fact you've left it so late says you only want a quick fix solution to looking good.
Reply 24
RE OP: Why do people do this!? Why not just lead a healthy lifestyle all the time? A healthy diet and plenty of exercise is enjoyable - and the results are a healthy and fit figure. If you don't want to look like a beached whale then don't eat/drink like one.

meh
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by sil3nt_cha0s
I didn't say you were hideously ugly. I said 'unless you look hideously fat/ugly'. Please read my post properly. And thank you for proving my point. You can pull 10 guys in one night, and on holiday it's going to be even easier. Begs the question really, why do you want to lose weight for your holiday? Do you want to make other females envious of your body? Do you want to pull the top 1% of fittest guys there? If it's just to be healthy or a similar reason, you would have educated yourself a while before this holiday, been going to the gym for months and actively made it part of your lifestyle, well before exams. The fact you've left it so late says you only want a quick fix solution to looking good.

no no, i know you weren't saying that i was.

I dont really have a body to envy, im sure theres a lot more girls that are prettier and skinnier than me that guys prefer.

And because i feel i dont look "that" good and could look alot better / slimmer.

I'd like to feel better when im practically naked on the beach/pool.

But long term goal are for september time ish to really start dropping the stones.
Reply 26
Original post by Tycho
Having seen the state of most guys in a nightclub by the middle of the night I'm not surprised. If the wall had a vagina on it then it would pull ten of those sexually deprived gents. :smile:

Not intended to demeen your obvious confidence in your own ability to pull.

RE OP: Why do people do this!? Why not just lead a healthy lifestyle all the time? A healthy diet and plenty of exercise is enjoyable - and the results are a healthy and fit figure. If you don't want to look like a beached whale then don't eat/drink like one.

meh

I dont physically eat that much, just mainly the wrong things and skipping breakfast dont drinking enough fluids etc.

Im most certainly not like these size 16 women that are posted on here, my stomachs not that "fat" its not as flat as it could be, if i lay down my hips and ribs are slightly prominent, not something you'd see on a beached whale.
Reply 27
...not something you'd see on a beached whale.

It was symbolic imagery. :biggrin:
Reply 28
Original post by Tycho
It was symbolic imagery. :biggrin:

Still. I no beached animal or eat like one :smile:
I really need to start losing weight. Over the past 12 months I've grown quite a belly, and I need to burn it off. However, I don't want to pay to go to a gym, and I'm not really big on sports. What should I do?
Reply 30
Walk or run.
Original post by slylee
Walk or run.

How effective is walking?
Reply 32
Original post by CJG21
How effective is walking?

Depending on your weight, walking can be as effective as running. Plus you can add weight to your ankles, go on speed walks etc

When I was 17 years old, I weighed 22 stone and walked all of my weight off, just steadily increase the speed or distance each week or two and you'll see results - it also helps if you have a pet dog or friend to walk with but not required.

Once you reach a suitable weight, you can start walking up and down stairs or hills and slowly increase the time it takes to reach the top (i've done all of this, I even carried a backpack with weights inside)
Original post by slylee
Depending on your weight, walking can be as effective as running. Plus you can add weight to your ankles, go on speed walks etc

When I was 17 years old, I weighed 22 stone and walked all of my weight off, just steadily increase the speed or distance each week or two and you'll see results - it also helps if you have a pet dog or friend to walk with but not required.

Once you reach a suitable weight, you can start walking up and down stairs or hills and slowly increase the time it takes to reach the top (i've done all of this, I even carried a backpack with weights inside)

I might try that then. Thanks for that. I'll see if one of my fat friends wants to walk with me.
Reply 34
Original post by slylee

Wow, well done on your weight loss! :smile:
Reply 35
Original post by CJG21
I really need to start losing weight. Over the past 12 months I've grown quite a belly, and I need to burn it off. However, I don't want to pay to go to a gym, and I'm not really big on sports. What should I do?

Join a military force, but seriously playing sports is a funner and more enegetic way of keeping fit. Especially if your competitive.

p.s dont go on those crazy diets - it may leave you with exceed skin - see Embarising Bodies
Reply 36
Original post by emilie18
Wow, well done on your weight loss! :smile:

Reply 37
Original post by CJG21

- I second those above who said walk or run. Start with walking to ease yourself into it, when you feel able to start running. It's a good idea to alternate at first - run for a few minutes, walk for a few minutes, etc.

- Do you have a Wii? There are some games on here that can help you for a mini-workout at home: Zumba, Wii Fit, Sports... Also the Wii Fit has scales and loads of different yoga exercises etc which are nice to stretch to before you dp a proper exercise

- If you're up to going to Yoga/Zumba, you could try those classes. I don't know how they compare in price to a gym membership, you could look into it. Swimming is a great all-round exercise and you don't usually need a full membership to use the pool in leisure centres.

- Buy some workout DVDs. You can pick them up really cheaply and do them in your lounge, fun and easy.

- If you search on Youtube, there are loads of video demonstrations of simple exercises you can do. Since it's your stomach that you want to tone up the most, search for stomach-toning exercises and come up with a workout. Keep it short and simple at first then build it up gradually. Stomach crunches, sit ups, will both be important, lunges and squats work on legs but also help to tone the belly area too.

- Simple changes like walk instead of drive/bus, run up the stairs a few times instead of walking up once, walking the dog more/walking with friends, stairs instead of lift, etc, etc. Also the obvious: your diet needs to contain less fat, etc.

Hope this helps. :smile:
I'm 5 foot 2 and 7 stone. I'm fairly healthy and a size 6/8. I do however have extra fat around the stomach, I used to not be bothered by it as it got tucked away by jeans and wasn't obvious but I recently bought a lovely new dress and it's VERY obvious in it. So my question is, how do I get rid of it? I'll be wearing the dress to an event in 6 weeks time, so is there any excercises I should do to lose the tummy fat? Or avoid certain foods? Any help would be appreciated :smile:

Thank you!
Reply 39
I ll drink water or tea instead when I want to eat some snacks which will make me fat, maybe not healthy , but it works .
Put on some fit body pics on the bedroom wall,encourage urself everyday :wink:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest