The Student Room Group

Violence

I grew up with domestic abbuse. My dad abbused my mum everyday. He is gone now but I still suffer nightmares and I barely sleep at night :/ . I have a problem with trusting guys. He is trying to contact me and It scares me. Mum thinks we should ignore it but I'm going to bella drum and fear he will be there because he goes to festivals etc to look for me. What can I do? How can I stop these nightmares and get to sleep? X
Reply 1
*abuse (also noted to all of your other threads with this spelling error).
You might want to look into counseling, it can help.
i had exactly the same.
I have nightmares where i am being taken away from my family by him. he also threatened to kill my siblings. I have horrible dreams where I am lost, can't find my family, or they are hurt, threatened or even die. I think thats because of him.
A few years ago, he wanted information about my ucas so he knew which uni i was going to. I was worried he would find me and hurt me when i was away form home and my family.
as a child he hated my male siblings but was obsessed with me. he wouldn't leave me alone and he started to touch me in inapropriate places - i was under the age of 5. I know its a hypothetical situation, but its horrible to think what could have happened if contact continued.
and the worst thing is that it creeps up on me. most of the time when i'm drunk i'm fine, but sometimes, for some reason I just freak out and feel as if there is something very wrong with me. I feel afraid. as such I start to avoid having to much alcohol incase i freak, but i don't think its right that i stop doing normal uni student things, particuarly when all my friends are.

all I can recomend is councilling.
but I find that easier said than done. some things I find it hard to talk about. I try to be open, so people who have had similar or worse feel that they can talk aswell, but some things i feel slightly ashamed of.

if you need to talk more privately to someone who has had similar experiences, feel free to pm me :smile: xx
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Ashan17
I grew up with domestic abbuse. My dad abbused my mum everyday. He is gone now but I still suffer nightmares and I barely sleep at night :/ . I have a problem with trusting guys. He is trying to contact me and It scares me. Mum thinks we should ignore it but I'm going to bella drum and fear he will be there because he goes to festivals etc to look for me. What can I do? How can I stop these nightmares and get to sleep? X

I've sort of had this experience (When I was very young he beat me before i could remember (scars are on my arms and hands still) he then left, but when I was 4-ish he came back and tried to beat my mum...i just sort of remember it as a haze.. but the cops came and sorted everything out..never seen him since).
Your situation sounds a lot worse but for your sleeping problems you should see your doctor he/she can provide you with pills to help you sleep (make sure you research what he/she prescribes you on the internet as it may have long-term effects). If your dad is trying to contact you then do as your mum says ignore it but if it is really bad see a psychologist or a therapist. Hope this Helps :smile:
Reply 4
I find it interesting that people neg me and don't even offer to explain why. I can see who you are.

I stand by what I said, I still think counseling would be useful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending