The Student Room Group

Mr M's OCR (not OCR MEI) Further Pure 2 answers June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Hey, can someone give me an indication of what 50% raw marks would be UMS?
Reply 21
Original post by ohwellohwell
Hey, can someone give me an indication of what 50% raw marks would be UMS?

If we use Jan 12 as a benchmark (this could vary)

61 = 100%
55 = 90%
49 = 80%
43 = 70%
37 = 60%
31 = 50%
25 = 40%

Assuming you got 36 raw marks you'd be on 58 UMS.
Ah ok thankyou very much. appreciate it.
Reply 23
Original post by lilipop
9 more?! That's horrible, good luck!

LOL thanks, what about yourself?
Reply 24
Original post by jamib0y
LOL thanks, what about yourself?

3 more to go… Economics, C4 and M2
Reply 25
GREAT EXAM only got around 59 though :s-smilie:
Reply 26
Original post by wibletg
If we use Jan 12 as a benchmark (this could vary)

61 = 100%
55 = 90%
49 = 80%
43 = 70%
37 = 60%
31 = 50%
25 = 40%

Assuming you got 36 raw marks you'd be on 58 UMS.

Good prediction. Although the January grade boundaries were slightly higher than this (at least for 90 and 100 UMS).
Reply 27
does anyone remember what the question was for 3 ii) thanks!
Reply 28
Original post by Ree69
Good prediction. Although the January grade boundaries were slightly higher than this (at least for 90 and 100 UMS).

I'm pretty sure that's what they were, I took them from the OCR website :P

Edit: oops, it should have been 7 ums between each boundary!

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire HD A9191
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 29
Hope it was not too bad for everyone. I have a few questions.

For 7(iii) would using the ln expansion for ln(n/(n+1)) instead of -ln((n+1)/n) gain any credit of the five marks? Also, would the max r value for the polar co-ordinate question be ok to be left as a surd (can't remember whether it specified 3 s.f.)?

THanks.
Reply 30
Original post by wibletg
I'm pretty sure that's what they were, I took them from the OCR website :P

Edit: oops, it should have been 7 ums between each boundary!

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire HD A9191

Check again :tongue: - it's 56 for 90 UMS and 63 for 100 UMS.

Original post by twig

For 7(iii) would using the ln expansion for ln(n/(n+1)) instead of -ln((n+1)/n) gain any credit of the five marks? Also, would the max r value for the polar co-ordinate question be ok to be left as a surd (can't remember whether it specified 3 s.f.)?

THanks.

I doubt it tbh (sorry!), the question did explictly say "using the expansion of ln(1+x)..."

Although I imagine getting to the stage of -ln((n+1)/n), or the other way round in your case, would get 2-3 method marks.
Reply 31
Original post by twig

THanks.

It didn't specify 3sf, purely because I remember getting 0.770 and trying to create a random surd so that it gave that answer... :P
For the two mark question near the beginning which asked you to prove tanh(A+B) = the tanh double angle formula, using relevant results from the formula book, i basically stated the standard tan(A+B) result and stated because cosh^2 - sinh^2 = 1 the denominator was different, will this acquire any marks, what is the correct way to answer this question. Thanks
Sorry to bother you Mr M... For Q 3ii. I only found one of the solutions, ln(sqrt(3)). How many marks do you imagine I will lose for not attaining the second solution. Thank you
Reply 34
Original post by vayneiscool
For the two mark question near the beginning which asked you to prove tanh(A+B) = the tanh double angle formula, using relevant results from the formula book, i basically stated the standard tan(A+B) result and stated because cosh^2 - sinh^2 = 1 the denominator was different, will this acquire any marks, what is the correct way to answer this question. Thanks

nope, no marks, that's completely wrong, you use double angle formulae for sinh and cosh and divide over to get tanh and simplify
Reply 35
anyone got a list of the questions or a copy of the paper?
Reply 36
Anyone got a copy of the paper?
Reply 37
Original post by Wahrheit
I've got the paper in front of me and I just tried doing it by differentiation and ended up with tantheta=1/root2 which gives a maximum of 0.769800... =0.770 :smile:

Can you upload?

Quick Reply

Latest