The Student Room Group

Edexcel Unit 4 - Tectonics (and structuring!)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
can anyone possibly tell me what was the response of Montserrat eruption 1995-1997?
and the source as well please :smile:
Reply 81
I have written an introduction to the question: "The effectiveness of responses used by different groups of people to cope with tectonic hazards is influenced by a range of factors." Discuss.
I would be grateful for some constructive criticism regarding this introduction if that is at all possible.
Thanks very much in advance.
Original post by becharv
I'm so glad I've read this post, my teacher hadn't pointed out the importance of "the effectiveness"!!

Just a quick question, is "methodology" really necessary in the report? I can't quite see how it fits with the question?

I could be completely wrong, but I wanted to check! The short time limit in the exam means everything has to be of importance,

Thanks

Apparently it is absolutely essential - I've left a whole 15 mins of my time for it. If you find the generic mark scheme anywhere you'll see it looks something like this:
Introducing, defining, and focusing on the question - 10 marks
Researching and methodology - 15 marks
Analysis, application and understanding - 20 marks
Conclusions and evaluation - 15 marks
Quality of written evaluation and sourcing - 10/10

Rather oddly in my opinion, it seems that you could technically get 40/70 marks just writing an introduction, a methodology and a conclusion... :K:
Reply 83
Hi,

I was just wondering how everybody else was revising for this? I have done a report with a question that my teacher came up with and I have changed parts to make it better.

I know the question wont be exactly the same so should I just learn the plan/outline and the key points? What is everyone else doing?

Original post by Skittle_
Hi,

I was just wondering how everybody else was revising for this? I have done a report with a question that my teacher came up with and I have changed parts to make it better.

I know the question wont be exactly the same so should I just learn the plan/outline and the key points? What is everyone else doing?

Hey, I am revising for this by learning my already written essay as well as possible. However, I need to rewrite large parts of it as it is FAR too long (3300 words - I write 30 words a minute without thinking time so can't reproduce this in 90 minutes). I am focusing on learning my plan, methodology and route of enquiry most thoroughly as it will be the intro and conclusion that'll require the most adjustment depending on the question that comes up. The essay I have written already is fairly generic and should fit well to anything that comes up and will only need slight tweaks.
Reply 85
Thanks, I might give this a go. Mine is 2100 words so i may try and learn most of it.
Reply 86
Original post by becharv
I'm so glad I've read this post, my teacher hadn't pointed out the importance of "the effectiveness"!!

Just a quick question, is "methodology" really necessary in the report? I can't quite see how it fits with the question?

Thanks

Generally your best bet is to include a dedicated Methadology section to make sure you hit those marks which are quite easy to get. Otherwise it'll be based upon whats in your essay which may cause doubt- It's best to directly say sampling methods, sources and their justification as well as justification for the Case Studies you're planning on Using. Well, that's my opinion and looking as past examples- generally higher Methadology marks for those with a dedicated paragraph/ table. Hope it helps.
Reply 87
Does anybody know how to structure the main part of the report? I have the introduction sorted it's just structuring how I'm going to talk about responses.

My basic structure is:
1. Immediate responses
2. Short term responses
3. Long term responses
but how do I structure within this? If that makes sense :confused:....
Reply 88
everyone saying easy marks for methodology table , can someone show me an example of one as im clueless!
Reply 89
In slight panic mode here! In terms of the range of factors which influence the effectiveness of responses..do you think this needs to be the different time scales of responses - linked to Parks Model - relief, rehab, reconstruction - if so could someone offer some words of wisdom or a brief example for the longer term reconstruction bit.

I have been focussing more on the 'effectiveness' aspect as opposed to the response aspect so have tended to not explicitly mention the different time scales of responses (I hope this is making sense!) - I have always structured these sorts of essays on the disaster risk equation; hazard profile influencing the effectiveness of responses, vulnerability and capacity to cope to make sure I talk about a range of factors (human and physical)...any advice or help anyone :biggrin:
Reply 90
so glad i found this, my whole class is retaking (no one got above a D in jan) because the teacher had never taught it before and i'm still not 100% confident.

thanks for pointing out not to structure by case study, think i might structure it by modifying the event, modify loss and modify vulnerability.. and how these change in varying locations depending on physical and human factors and impact the effectiveness of response.
blah worst exam!

good intro structure is:
-define key term (hazard/disaster with quote)
-rephrase question to show understanding
-show meaning of report
-briefly cover the case studies you will look into and why they fit
-methodology table

i think there is something else to include can't think right now!
Reply 91
Original post by ak!
so glad i found this, my whole class is retaking (no one got above a D in jan) because the teacher had never taught it before and i'm still not 100% confident.

thanks for pointing out not to structure by case study, think i might structure it by modifying the event, modify loss and modify vulnerability.. and how these change in varying locations depending on physical and human factors and impact the effectiveness of response.
blah worst exam!

good intro structure is:
-define key term (hazard/disaster with quote)
-rephrase question to show understanding
-show meaning of report
-briefly cover the case studies you will look into and why they fit
-methodology table

i think there is something else to include can't think right now!

If you are using a model (Parks will probably be relevant to this question) maybe introduce it in the intro and justify why you are using it (only an idea..don't panic if you don't do this - I think all school teach how the write and structure the report differently!) :smile:
Reply 92
Original post by oli2wd
If you are using a model (Parks will probably be relevant to this question) maybe introduce it in the intro and justify why you are using it (only an idea..don't panic if you don't do this - I think all school teach how the write and structure the report differently!) :smile:

yes! models was what i was thinking about, although our teacher seems to have gone off teaching us Parks since jan (not sure why) we've mainly focused on hazard management cycle, models confuse me :frown:
Reply 93
Bit stuck with this... what's the difference between factors influencing the response and factors influencing the effectiveness of the response? this seems to be the key in answering these questions but i really don't know!
Original post by Zstar
Bit stuck with this... what's the difference between factors influencing the response and factors influencing the effectiveness of the response? this seems to be the key in answering these questions but i really don't know!

A big earthquake would influence the response by sending out rescue teams. Not being able to reach people affected due to the geology of land, debris, equipment that isn't adequate etc, would influence the effectiveness of the response from the rescue team, as their effectiveness would be reduced due to these obstacles/factors.

The rescue team (the response), may be there, but they might not be effective in responding.

Think of other examples like that :smile:
Reply 95
Original post by Zstar

I would have thought you could bring in a bit of both. Individual factors such as Education or Technology level may set the response that occurs (e.g. low-tech solutions) and this then affects the entire effectiveness of the response in comparison to other countries. As well; things like their international connections may affect how effective their response is (e.g. International Donations were not large enough to do a full response etc).

As well, I would have thought the TYPE of tectonic hazard (volcano/ eq) would determine the response, while the magnitude may determine how effective that response is- e.g. there may be a similar response to an small and large scale earthquake (evacuation/ temporary shelters/ rebuilding/ rescue teams) but due to the large magnitude and thus greater effects the response to the large scale hazard was less effective). Maybe something like that?
Reply 96
Original post by Packlord
I would have thought you could bring in a bit of both. Individual factors such as Education or Technology level may set the response that occurs (e.g. low-tech solutions) and this then affects the entire effectiveness of the response in comparison to other countries. As well; things like their international connections may affect how effective their response is (e.g. International Donations were not large enough to do a full response etc).

As well, I would have thought the TYPE of tectonic hazard (volcano/ eq) would determine the response, while the magnitude may determine how effective that response is- e.g. there may be a similar response to an small and large scale earthquake (evacuation/ temporary shelters/ rebuilding/ rescue teams) but due to the large magnitude and thus greater effects the response to the large scale hazard was less effective). Maybe something like that?

Ahh yeah thanks a lot! Hadn't thought of it like that :smile:
Reply 97
I am struggling to revise for this, how are people making an essay when we dont know the question?!

Also sources wise, do we refer to them in brackets after a point aswell as including them in the methods table?
Help!
Original post by 1lozza1
I am struggling to revise for this, how are people making an essay when we dont know the question?!

Also sources wise, do we refer to them in brackets after a point aswell as including them in the methods table?
Help!

I put numbers in brackets after using a source, then did a bibliography at the end with the corresponding numbers stating the sources.
Reply 99
Original post by latasauce
Degg's Model = Dregg's Model

There's some confusion over his name, I was told with confidence that Degg is the correct spelling - I'm sure they won't penalize for such a minor error regardless.

Yeah you're right even the text books published his name as Dregg until he came out and announced his name is actually Dr Martin Degg! Red faced Edexel? :colondollar:

Does anybody know how much time you are supposed to spend on each section? Is 15 minutes too little for the plan & introduction?

Quick Reply

Latest