The Student Room Group

Plan B

without getting into too much detail of the circumstance, I just needed some advice as to what I should consider after results day. The likelihood of getting into my firm is pretty much gone.
Although my insurance choice is a good uni, the course there isn't right for me

The course I have applied to study is biomedical science. I have an offer to study at Manchester for AAB and Reading for BBC

if i manage to get BBC or BCC, I'd want to take the year out. If i was to do this, would I be able to NOT be enrolled back into my sixth form but study at home and enter privately for the exams? Does this count of ressiting the year even though I wouldn't be enrolled in school and only sitting a few exams?

And providing I got some decent work experience, would it be possible to re-apply for Manchester or another Russell group university?

OR

Should I just suck it up, admit defeat and study at Reading because at the end of the day a university is a university ?
Original post by YB101
Does this count of ressiting the year even though I wouldn't be enrolled in school and only sitting a few exams?

Yes.

And providing I got some decent work experience, would it be possible to re-apply for Manchester or another Russell group university?

Manchester don't like resit years, I believe. However, Russell group universities and universities of similar standard are generally not excluded.

Bear in mind, the Russell group isn't a measure of quality. They are a group of universities heavily involved in research, and there is debate about whether or not that's important for an undergraduate student. I would argue that you should be preferencing good teaching over good research, and good researchers don't necessarily make good teachers.

Should I just suck it up, admit defeat and study at Reading because at the end of the day a university is a university ?

You shouldn't go somewhere that you're unhappy, but I would urge you to consider why you're unhappy with Reading now whereas I'm guessing you weren't before?

There is a huge gulf between AAB and BBC. Would you be ok with going to Reading if you got ABB, or do you not want to go to Reading at all?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by TheSownRose
Yes.

Manchester don't like resit years, I believe. However, Russell group universities and universities of similar standard are generally not excluded.

Bear in mind, the Russell group isn't a measure of quality. They are a group of universities heavily involved in research, and there is debate about whether or not that's important for an undergraduate student. I would argue that you should be preferencing good teaching over good research, and good researchers don't necessarily make good teachers.

You shouldn't go somewhere that you're unhappy, but I would urge you to consider why you're unhappy with Reading now whereas I'm guessing you weren't before?

There is a huge gulf between AAB and BBC. Would you be ok with going to Reading if you got ABB, or do you not want to go to Reading at all?

I do understand they don't like resits however I have spoke to many people who have taken a year out, resat and were able to get an offer. Most of them had done some related work experience but idk.

I've always wanted to attend a russell group because I know it's best for my course in terms of structure and how research focused it is. I've visited Reading and I liked it however the course structure between the two universities vary greatly. I know for a fact that I am much more capable of BBC, and if I was to gain these grades I would be a few UMS marks off my AAB predictions.

I don't really know how strong the Biomedical science side of Reading is however I'm not saying it's a bad uni at all, I know for a fact it's really good :smile:

I've always been terrible with making choices you see :colondollar:
Original post by YB101
I do understand they don't like resits however I have spoke to many people who have taken a year out, resat and were able to get an offer. Most of them had done some related work experience but idk.

I've always wanted to attend a russell group because I know it's best for my course in terms of structure and how research focused it is. I've visited Reading and I liked it however the course structure between the two universities vary greatly. I know for a fact that I am much more capable of BBC, and if I was to gain these grades I would be a few UMS marks off my AAB predictions.

I'll leave a more Manchester-savvy person to address that question. :p:

All universities will run their courses differently, it's not as though all universities in the RG use one method and everywhere else uses a different one. And as I said, there are universities that are very similar to ones in the RG that aren't actually in it themselves. What about the structure at Reading do you not like?

I'll leave the big debate to other threads, but consider how important research is for an undergraduate. You may well find that yes, your lecturers are participating in research, but that doesn't necessarily filter down to you.

I don't really know how strong the Biomedical science side of Reading is however I'm not saying it's a bad uni at all, I know for a fact it's really good :smile:

I've always been terrible with making choices you see :colondollar:

Why did you pick Reading for your insurance? Would you go there under any circumstances?
Reply 4
Original post by TheSownRose
I'll leave a more Manchester-savvy person to address that question. :p:

All universities will run their courses differently, it's not as though all universities in the RG use one method and everywhere else uses a different one. And as I said, there are universities that are very similar to ones in the RG that aren't actually in it themselves. What about the structure at Reading do you not like?

I'll leave the big debate to other threads, but consider how important research is for an undergraduate. You may well find that yes, your lecturers are participating in research, but that doesn't necessarily filter down to you.

Why did you pick Reading for your insurance? Would you go there under any circumstances?

I guess it's because manchester seem to know what they are doing, they have an amazing life science department and a massive biocentre and so the oppourtunties are endless. Reading don't even have a biocentre :frown:

I did insure Notts Trent but knew I wouldn't go so went for Reading last minute. I didn't really expect to find myself in this situation so didn't really think too much into it. My parents don't like the idea of me taking a year out, not sure why :/

I don't know I just have my heart set on one place and I know it will be worth the risk

Quick Reply

Latest