The Student Room Group

Chemistry AQA unit 1 Friday 15th June 2012!

Chemistry exam tommorow for unit1 and im really nervous. done hardcore revision this past week but unsure about the 6 mark question which will come up. What does everyone think the main topics are going to be on this exam?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ismail123
Chemistry exam tommorow for unit1 and im really nervous. done hardcore revision this past week but unsure about the 6 mark question which will come up. What does everyone think the main topics are going to be on this exam?

They rarely put 6 mark questions in these papers. It's normally 5 marks, based on something such as bio-diesel or some sort of renewable source.
Reply 2
I'm so bored!!! Any cool sites for chem revision you know of? & It's so hard to revise with a new puppy running around my feet! Argh, stress.
Reply 3
Dude, these exams these days are a lot different than you may expect them to be before the exam. Just like the Biology one, the things that people were thinking that were coming up such as nutrients etc. didn't come up. Literally, the exams test you on maths knowledge, common sense and some memory and problem solving. There is no point trying to learn all the facts and figures. I bet someone who has never had this unit before could do it just by common sense. So my advice would be to go through the specification, read through it and do lot of past papers. But before that! Learn about vegetable oils, crude oil, alkanes, alkenes, cracking etc. because I am more than 100% that it will come up so do you know it. Don't waste time on simply facts about electrons and the atom's structure. Of course, its great to know that and probably a small amount of questions are about that. But those are not the topic were you can pick up great amounts of marks. Evaluation questions and crude oil question etc. are.

That was all for my speech today :P LOL, hope I helped folks, I am setting this test as well :biggrin:

Good luck with revision
Reply 4
thanks and this website has helped me a lot, there are videos on each topic too if you click on the learn tab, goodluck to everyone!

http://my-gcsescience.com/Core_Science_HIU3.html
Reply 5
Just done the new specification. Found it so hard!
What did you guys put for the question that asked what you would see when the fermentation of yeats and sugar was finished? I had no clue what it was :frown:
Reply 6
Just done it was proppa hard
I was expecting a question about quarrying or alfred wegner

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 7
Omg I found the last quarter of it impossible! Can't believe there were 2 questions requiring an evaluation so time consuming!!
Reply 8
I think the third to last and last questions was quite difficult, but the others were just long. How did you guys think it went?
Reply 9
I thought it was easy but there were some harder questions,like the last question and the 6 marker was horrendous,what are the advantages of using poly(ethene) in plastic bags?-there isn't any,I just said that developments with cornstarch could eliminate the negative that it wasn't biodegradable?
Reply 10
it was so hard! so hard to put the topic into context! finished with just a minute left
Reply 11
That was the hardest exam i have ever done. I couldn't answer half the paper. Looks like one for a resit...
Reply 12
Original post by Dalek1099
I thought it was easy but there were some harder questions,like the last question and the 6 marker was horrendous,what are the advantages of using poly(ethene) in plastic bags?-there isn't any,I just said that developments with cornstarch could eliminate the negative that it wasn't biodegradable?

For me the test was quite easy, the only two questions that I struggled with was the Prilminary soup whatever Urrey thing when it talked about the amino acids I had no clue, so I just put down that the electrical spark can't act as a catalyst in the real world and there is no lightning all the time. Btw, for the plastic bags one, 'I killed' it :biggrin: Advantages for poly(ethene) bags is that they are recyclable meaning that less crude oil needs to be used etc. And also poly(ethene) from crude oil is much much more quicker than from cornstarch therefore is more continuous. :biggrin:
Weird, weird paper. I found some of it really straight forwards - emulsifiers etc but some questions trickier. NEED an A star in every module, retaking for anything less so fingers crossed... BTW saying you killed at exam makes you sounds seriosuly stuck up just saying.

Lots of love to all - bet everything went great for you all :smile:
LMR.
Original post by Shad-A
For me the test was quite easy, the only two questions that I struggled with was the Prilminary soup whatever Urrey thing when it talked about the amino acids I had no clue, so I just put down that the electrical spark can't act as a catalyst in the real world and there is no lightning all the time. Btw, for the plastic bags one, 'I killed' it :biggrin: Advantages for poly(ethene) bags is that they are recyclable meaning that less crude oil needs to be used etc. And also poly(ethene) from crude oil is much much more quicker than from cornstarch therefore is more continuous. :biggrin:

I'm pretty sure the amino acids question was looking for you to say that the gases contained the elements carbon,hydrogen,nitrogen and oxygen and these elements are needed to make amino acids.
Reply 15
Original post by Shad-A

what did you put for the densities question on nitrogen

Reply 16
Original post by LittleMissRawr
Weird, weird paper. I found some of it really straight forwards - emulsifiers etc but some questions trickier. NEED an A star in every module, retaking for anything less so fingers crossed... BTW saying you killed at exam makes you sounds seriosuly stuck up just saying.

Lots of love to all - bet everything went great for you all :smile:
LMR.

samee
and true about the stuck up thing, hes making me feel worse as iknow ive done bad yet i see his posts everywhere saying how well hes done. well hope he got everything right then lolll

Original post by Shad-A

You don't make poly(ethene) from corn starch though and even if I'm wrong it wasn't what the question was asking,it was asking you for the advantages and disadvantages of poly(ethene) to make bags and that doesn't tell you,where the poly(ethene) comes from.

Quick Reply

Latest