The Student Room Group

beng in good uni or meng in not so good uni?

would it be better to study a beng at a good university or a meng at a not so good university? thanks
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
It depends, you should call the university that offered you the BEng course and ask them if advancement into the MEng course is possible, if required grades are obtained. If not, you can always finish your BEng there and then do a master's course at a different school, although that may not be funded by student loans. On the other hand, doing an MEng would be a good idea, since it would definately be funded from what I know. University rankings don't really matter too much if you graduate with a 2.1+. Are both of these courses accredited?
Reply 2
Original post by Liquidise.
It depends, you should call the university that offered you the BEng course and ask them if advancement into the MEng course is possible, if required grades are obtained. If not, you can always finish your BEng there and then do a master's course at a different school, although that may not be funded by student loans. On the other hand, doing an MEng would be a good idea, since it would definately be funded from what I know. University rankings don't really matter too much if you graduate with a 2.1+. Are both of these courses accredited?

they are both accredited and I understand that you can transfer with good grades but assuming I don't make the cut to transfer then use am stuck with the BEng but at a good university.
Reply 3
Original post by Liquidise.

How important is it for a course to be accredited?
On the website of my insurance choice it says that the the course isn't yet accredited.
Reply 4
I'd say make sure you do the MEng. My brother went to a middling uni (but very good for engineering) and nobody left with a BEng because it was almost useless - all jobs either required or strongly preferred people with masters.
If it seems quite likely that you can continue and do the masters at the better uni, maybe it's worth risking it though but keep the possibility in your mind you might need to go to another uni and pay for a masters.
Reply 5
they are both accredited and I understand that you can transfer with good grades but assuming I don't make the cut to transfer then use am stuck with the BEng but at a good university.

You're never stuck, you can always apply for a masters course at a different university. Nobody said that graduates do not get a job with a BEng and an MEng is required :smile: Although according to today's standards, a MEng is mostly preferred by employers. May that be your motivation to work hard!

How important is it for a course to be accredited?
On the website of my insurance choice it says that the the course isn't yet accredited.

It's not that important, it's just something additional that is a bonus for potential employers, although not necessarily. If a university engineering course is accredited, for example the IMechE for mechanical engineering, then it meets the full educational requirements to become a Chartered Engineer in the future, which again raises job prospects. Don't worry about it :smile: Did it say it was being evaluated for accreditation? For Mechanical Engineering, all the accredited courses are located here.
(edited 11 years ago)
MEng definitely. The value of a BEng is fast diminishing. MEng candidates are worth more to employers because the final year of the course usually consists of more group design and project work which is more relevant to industry, and they have already fulfilled the academic requirements for chartered status so won't be asking for time off to study an MSc, or funding for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending