The Student Room Group

not sure whether i should firm bradford or uclan

guys ive got to decide between either firming bradford or uclan and im 100% not sure which one i should firm. so far i think im going to most likely firm bradford, but i wanted to hear your opinions about this.

if you had to choose between the two unis for pharmacy which one would you firm and the reason(s) you would firm it.
I would say look/research onto both universities e.g. how far is it from home? how is teaching like? accommodation? the city itself?

I just finished my 1st year of pharmacy at Bradford so if u would like to know my opinion about anything specifically I will be happy to answer.
Reply 2
Original post by greenlantern
I would say look/research onto both universities e.g. how far is it from home? how is teaching like? accommodation? the city itself?

I just finished my 1st year of pharmacy at Bradford so if u would like to know my opinion about anything specifically I will be happy to answer.

well erm could i ask you what bradford city is like? are there any good night clubs, as my mate told me that the city is boring and is dead. also in bradford uni is the uni/city dominated by asian(indians/pakistanis) etc, im just interested as ive been told that like everyone is asian.

also is the uni for pharmacy any good aswell mate. my deadline for me to reply back to ucas is 7th of june!
Original post by brownieboy
well erm could i ask you what bradford city is like? are there any good night clubs, as my mate told me that the city is boring and is dead. also in bradford uni is the uni/city dominated by asian(indians/pakistanis) etc, im just interested as ive been told that like everyone is asian.

also is the uni for pharmacy any good aswell mate. my deadline for me to reply back to ucas is 7th of june!

Sorry I don't come on student room as often so didn't realize this post. I would say bradford is an okay city e.g. if u compared it to known unis in london/manchester it's not as good but it's not as bad as some people make it out to be. For example it is not as big, there's not as many different societies and clubs to join like other big unis. They got quite a few sports club but u also need to join the gym to play for a team like I play hockey at uni but I hardly go to the gym. Some teams seem to be doing really well in terms league team etc.

I don't really like all the lecturers and teachers method of teaching (But then again this may just be my own reasons for not liking uni in general haha compared to sixth form). Well teaching is mostly done by lectures (many of the stuff maybe irrelevent to exam but u don't know so u still study), u also have lots of practicals I find them pretty good but there's more of them then when I was doing a-level so not everyone likes it. The quality of teachers, lecturers and students vary some r really good while others not so good.

Also there is the opportunity to do the 5 years course I think this is the only uni that allows it so that might be one of the reasons u choose. I found the support group in the uni that helps with filling in forms for summer placement, part time jobs really helpful so I will point them out.

They have a regular friday night disco and rock monday in the uni campus and other night clubs in close proximity to uni, although I don't really go out at night much so wouldn't know how good they r!

Yes it is mainly asian students (more specifically pakistani students) studying in the uni but there r a good number of people from other ethnicities.

Food wise it's a great area there's asian shops and ofcourse fast food shops in close proximity to uni and also train/coach stations and the city itself, the cinema, bowling area etc r all reasonably close. Free city bus is also there if u can't be bothered to walk far!

Hope that gives u a clearer idea of what I think about uni lol and good luck with your studies
Reply 4
Original post by greenlantern
Sorry I don't come on student room as often so didn't realize this post. I would say bradford is an okay city e.g. if u compared it to known unis in london/manchester it's not as good but it's not as bad as some people make it out to be. For example it is not as big, there's not as many different societies and clubs to join like other big unis. They got quite a few sports club but u also need to join the gym to play for a team like I play hockey at uni but I hardly go to the gym. Some teams seem to be doing really well in terms league team etc.

I don't really like all the lecturers and teachers method of teaching (But then again this may just be my own reasons for not liking uni in general haha compared to sixth form). Well teaching is mostly done by lectures (many of the stuff maybe irrelevent to exam but u don't know so u still study), u also have lots of practicals I find them pretty good but there's more of them then when I was doing a-level so not everyone likes it. The quality of teachers, lecturers and students vary some r really good while others not so good.

Also there is the opportunity to do the 5 years course I think this is the only uni that allows it so that might be one of the reasons u choose. I found the support group in the uni that helps with filling in forms for summer placement, part time jobs really helpful so I will point them out.

They have a regular friday night disco and rock monday in the uni campus and other night clubs in close proximity to uni, although I don't really go out at night much so wouldn't know how good they r!

Yes it is mainly asian students (more specifically pakistani students) studying in the uni but there r a good number of people from other ethnicities.

Food wise it's a great area there's asian shops and ofcourse fast food shops in close proximity to uni and also train/coach stations and the city itself, the cinema, bowling area etc r all reasonably close. Free city bus is also there if u can't be bothered to walk far!

Hope that gives u a clearer idea of what I think about uni lol and good luck with your studies

nice one mate, ive firmed braford... i applyed for the 5 yr course but i wanna swap it for the 4 yr course... aswell im gonna try and maybe get into manchester through clearing mate. (provided i get the grades)
nice one mate, ive firmed braford... i applyed for the 5 yr course but i wanna swap it for the 4 yr course... aswell im gonna try and maybe get into manchester through clearing mate. (provided i get the grades)

They told us we can change between the 4 to 5 year course and vice-versa usually within the first two years as they r the same for whichever one u choose to do.

I don't think it's very likely manchester's gonna be on clearing but still worth a try looking at ucas on results day as quite a few other pharmacy schools r usually on clearing. However, places go really fast so u need to have everything prepared early to contact them and get your place sorted in the course.

Your from liverpool? I remember ljmu was on clearing last year so they maybe there this year.
Reply 6

Bradford is the best of the two. I doubt manchester will be on clearing, but if you are lucky, Bath University or UEA may be on there.
Reply 7
yeah im from liverpool... ok even though manchester wont go through the process of clearing, still im sure some people who have firmed manchester wont get the grades and so they wont be allowed to go onto manchester, therefore there will be some vacant places.... so if i ring up manchester and if i get good grades dont you think they could give me one of those vacant places? what are your thoughts about this guys?

and i had an interview with ljmu but they rejected me, aswell my predicted grades wernt the highest...

i also applied to manchester but they rejected me cos my predicted grades were too low
yeah im from liverpool... ok even though manchester wont go through the process of clearing, still im sure some people who have firmed manchester wont get the grades and so they wont be allowed to go onto manchester, therefore there will be some vacant places.... so if i ring up manchester and if i get good grades dont you think they could give me one of those vacant places? what are your thoughts about this guys?

and i had an interview with ljmu but they rejected me, aswell my predicted grades wernt the highest...

i also applied to manchester but they rejected me cos my predicted grades were too low

I would say its worth a try on results day but u would have to be quite patience with the phone calls and have all info with u which maybe necessary e.g.ucas no., as places go really fast so u need to have everything prepared early to contact them and possibly get your place sorted in the course.
guys ive got to decide between either firming bradford or uclan and im 100% not sure which one i should firm. so far i think im going to most likely firm bradford, but i wanted to hear your opinions about this.

if you had to choose between the two unis for pharmacy which one would you firm and the reason(s) you would firm it.

I am firming bradford for pharmacy
Guys I no this isn't my thread sorry but i though it might help other people applying to bradford.

I wanted to know if anyone has done chem eng or has any mates or has any experiences at bradord engineering.

also some people say it is hard for get a job after you leave bradford.

Thank you so much:colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest