The Student Room Group

Law,Psychology,Business studies

Thinking of picking one of these as my 'easier' A level that i can drop at AS. Which in your opinion is best for uni? Also would be grateful for any personal opinions of these courses. I have a genuine interest in all 3.
Reply 1
Original post by chelseafan
Thinking of picking one of these as my 'easier' A level that i can drop at AS. Which in your opinion is best for uni? Also would be grateful for any personal opinions of these courses. I have a genuine interest in all 3.

Do you have any idea of what course you would like to do at Uni? It might help to pick one which might go well with it/your other subjects.

All three are regarded as fine choices for a 3rd (or in your case, 4th) AS/A2 level, but I'm not sure that any Universities specify which one of those has any gain over any others.

Perhaps if you are doing subjects like Maths/Politics/Economics etc then Business studies may go well with them. If you're doing Chemistry/Biology etc (i.e. those sorts of science subjects) then Psychology may go well as a 4th AS? And then Law might fit in better with essay subjects like English or History.

If you have a mixture of all different types of subjects, I'd suggest the one you think you may enjoy the most. None of them are "easy" despite being seen as slightly softer so pick the one you will actually be motivated to work for and do well in in AS, not just perhaps the one you think will be easiest to get a decent grade in.

I cannot speak for Business studies or Law, as I don't do them. However, I can tell you that I thoroughly enjoy Psychology and think it has complimented my other subject mixes well (Biology Maths and RS). So I would advise Psychology (but I may be biased :wink: )

Go for whichever one you feel you will enjoy the most (although knowing other subjects or University degree prospects may help people to help you)

:smile:
Reply 2
Im definitely picking History and Economics. I was going to pick Physics and Maths as well but now will not as i realised i suck at maths. At uni i want to do law and i know law would be the obvious choice but some people claim that Law isnt regarded highly by Unis.
Im definitely picking History and Economics. I was going to pick Physics and Maths as well but now will not as i realised i suck at maths. At uni i want to do law and i know law would be the obvious choice but some people claim that Law isnt regarded highly by Unis.

Just saying, I find Psychology twice as hard as History
Reply 4

When i did AS law, i hated it but it was pretty much just memory and writing things out in a pattern.
Picking Psychology because you think it's easy?

You have no idea of our struggle. Unfortunately an interest in Psychology doesn't make it easier or more tolerable. Pick Psychology anyway; give it a whirl. After all, it's the strongest in the lot and the most fun. Good luck.
Reply 6
Original post by andrew_c
When i did AS law, i hated it but it was pretty much just memory and writing things out in a pattern.

Agree with this. Quite easy.
Reply 7
Original post by Doofy
Agree with this. Quite easy.

Haha it didn't stop me getting a D :colondollar:.
Do what you think you shall enjoy the most, your other subjects are respectable, so Unis won't mind if you have one easier subject and drop it.
I don't think any subject at A Level is easy as they all require you to have good memory as the work load is huge. I do business studies and psychology. Business studies isn't too difficult but it requires you know to be able to remember a lot of things like key terms and formulas and to get good marks in the exam you don't just need to know it all, you have to be able to apply what you know to the case studies. Psychology for me was okay but there was so much to remember. I had to know 15 in depth core studies and 4 research methods.

Even if universities don't need you to have done law at A Level to do it, wouldn't it benefit you as an individual to take it and to get an hindsight into what Law is about?

Unis will prefer Law out of them 3 subjects.
I thought Psychology was a lot harder than History when I was doing AS-levels so I certainly wouldn't consider Psychology to be an easy subject, but it depends on your strengths. I would recommend you do Law if you wanted an 'easier' subject, purely because there's less to remember but you need to be good at applying your knowledge to different situations that you won't have come across before in the exams.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply