The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

How easy is it to change degree course at Loughborough

Hi, I was just wondering, say you wanted to change your degree course within the first couple of weeks or so at Loughborough. How hard or easy would it be?
Well firstly there would need to be space on the course you wanted to transfer onto, which there's no guarantee of. Whether or not it would then be allowed would be up to the staff in your department, and if applicable, the staff in the new department you'd be switching to. The sooner you try to switch the better, ideally before you even get to Loughborough. If you have an offer there's a chance you may be able to get it changed to an offer for a different course if you ask.

There may also be some amount of flexibility for switching course after your first year, provided you've completed the compulsory first year modules for the second year of the course you want to switch to.
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 2
Original post by NikaC
Hi, I was just wondering, say you wanted to change your degree course within the first couple of weeks or so at Loughborough. How hard or easy would it be?

Assuming you are talking about switching to a totally different course in a new department:

Then don't start university with this intention! It will only cause you a massive headache. If you think the course you have been offered a place on may no longer be right for you and there is an alternative you would like to do then get in touch with the relevant admissions tutors and discuss the possiblity of changing your application now.

If you leave it until you get there, then as the previous poster says it will come down to if there are any places on the new course and if the admissions tutor(s) is willing to have you or not. Also your A-level grades would have to be suitable and in the correct subjects for the new course.

It isn't impossible but I wouldn't say it is easy either (with good reason, they don't want people switching here, there and eveywhere). You could also find yourself having to complete one year and then start again from year 1 on the new course, effectively wasting a year.

However, if you are talking about staying on the same degree but simply switching from say a 3 year to a 4 year course with placement year, or from a BEng to MEng that is generally pretty straight forward. Also if you are switching to a similar course or one within the same department it may be easier due to the courses sharing common first year modules.

Best to start in the right place IMO. Even if it means taking a year out now.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
I have managed to change course while still in the application process, from one engineering course to another and it only took a few days. If the change isn't too drastic and you're in a similar position then try emailing the admissions department and ask if it's possible - providing there is space on the course.

Original post by NikaC
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by ecraven
I have managed to change course while still in the application process, from one engineering course to another and it only took a few days. If the change isn't too drastic and you're in a similar position then try emailing the admissions department and ask if it's possible - providing there is space on the course.

You should not assume you can do this, and you can only swap 'down' in heiracy of courses. Ie its something like this:

mechanical -> auto/aero -> manuf -> other BEng/MEng wolfson courses -> electrical -> control -> non BEng/MEng
You will still be able to change your course even before starting first year.

Original post by dogie
You should not assume you can do this, and you can only swap 'down' in heiracy of courses. Ie its something like this:

mechanical -> auto/aero -> manuf -> other BEng/MEng wolfson courses -> electrical -> control -> non BEng/MEng

This isn't really true since I was able to get in to the Aeronautical Engineering programme from the initial Electrical Engineering course that I had applied for. Although they only let me change courses since I already had the predicted grades required for the transition...
Original post by dogie

I always thought Aeronautical Engineering was above Mechanical Engineering. On the SEFS course Aeronautical Engineering has higher requirements than Mechanical Engineering.
Reply 7
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
I always thought Aeronautical Engineering was above Mechanical Engineering. On the SEFS course Aeronautical Engineering has higher requirements than Mechanical Engineering.

It is, but mech is the most over subscribed course at the moment. They're getting 400-500 A*AA+ applications for ~140 places.
Reply 8
My initial plan was to exceed my offer of AAB (With A in Physics and Maths) then, via UCAS adjustment, switch course to Business Economics and Finance because I want to do that course at Loughborough more than anything I've ever wanted!... but to appease my parents I initially chose Aero Eng.

Anyways... on Tuesday this week, the day after the calam Physics Unit 4 test, I called the business dept. up behind my parents' backs and asked how to go about changing course. I had to quickly compose an email explaining my reasons for switching and write a short personal statement (my original was too niche for Aero Eng). I was offered a place the same day! After confirmation, my UCAS form changed on Wednesday and now I only have to get a B in Physics.

I'd say I was incredibly lucky but I wouldn't be in this position if I hadn't tried.
Reply 9
What about changing from a BSC to a MSC? I believe the requirements can differ between the two, but I'm wanting to change to MMaths as opposed to my Bachelors in it.
Is that difficult to do in the first couple weeks?

Quick Reply

Latest