The Student Room Group

Resitting A levels

I am doing my A2s and are worried i have not done enough to get into my university. Would universities e.g. UEA, Kent, Loughborough, be less inclined to give a university offer to someone who has spent a year resitting exams, in this time i will also do productive things work/work experience.

Scroll to see replies

Contact them :smile:
Reply 2
I was kind of hoping people could have told me if possible from past experience
Send an email to the desired university and wait for the response. Most universities don't care unless you are applying for Oxbridge or are hoping to study medicine or something of that ilk.
Reply 4
Original post by julia2345
yeah im in a similar situation, i would like to study economics and my offer is aab, but i think ill end up with abbc/bbbc
it is so depressing!

I have also applied for economics and i think I will probably end up with BBB/BBC and want to go to a decent uni at the least. If i get BBC i am ok with taking a gap year but then want to ensure i get an offer from UEA and Loughborough again.
Me to!! I need AAA for Geophysics in Edinburgh so I contacted them (because I'm so not getting an A in Physics) and asked, and they replied saying it depends on your actual results . . . -_- . . . I mean really! That is no help!!!
Reply 6
Original post by codified1
I am doing my A2s and are worried i have not done enough to get into my university. Would universities e.g. UEA, Kent, Loughborough, be less inclined to give a university offer to someone who has spent a year resitting exams, in this time i will also do productive things work/work experience.

UEA don't mind- they look more at the personal statement and predicted grades than achieved grades. I got into UEA having resat 2 A2 Levels. I also got offers from Leeds and Birmingham as well.
Reply 7
Original post by jelly1000
UEA don't mind- they look more at the personal statement and predicted grades than achieved grades. I got into UEA having resat 2 A2 Levels. I also got offers from Leeds and Birmingham as well.

Fair play, for the year you re-sat your 2 A2's what else did you do?
Reply 8
Fair play, for the year you re-sat your 2 A2's what else did you do?

had my wisdom teeth out, did nothing for a while, helped out at the school my mum works at, volunteered with a charity for 4 weeks and then finally got an internship with another charity for 6 weeks.
Yeah they won't care, I failed my exams (ABB), didn't get in anywhere, reapplied, done nothign useful in my gap year, offers from; UCL, Nottingham, KCL, Birmingham and Southampton. Will be going to UCL for Economics at offer AAA
Reply 10
Original post by jimfrederikson
Yeah they won't care, I failed my exams (ABB), didn't get in anywhere, reapplied, done nothign useful in my gap year, offers from; UCL, Nottingham, KCL, Birmingham and Southampton. Will be going to UCL for Economics at offer AAA

I thought Russell group unis don't usually consider pupils who have spent a year resitting. I have an offer from Kings and am worried if I doubt get the grades and resit a year they won't offer me a place next year.
I don't know why you think that, at the end of the day if they believe that you'll be good enough to enter in a particular year they'll give you a place...
Reply 12
I spoke to teachers and the career people from my school, advising me the Russell group universities place are extremely less likely to send out offers to those who spend a year resitting.
Reply 13
I spoke to teachers and the career people from my school, advising me the Russell group universities place are extremely less likely to send out offers to those who spend a year resitting.

Wrong. I am a third year student finishing my A2's. I resat my AS year after getting terrible results. Applied to do geography at Southampton, Birmingham, Sheffield, Loughborough and Staffordshire. 3 of those are RG's. Got all 5 offers.
Reply 14
Original post by Braptings
Wrong. I am a third year student finishing my A2's. I resat my AS year after getting terrible results. Applied to do geography at Southampton, Birmingham, Sheffield, Loughborough and Staffordshire. 3 of those are RG's. Got all 5 offers.

Did you put down your first AS grades your UCAS?
Reply 15
I got BCCD (Geography, Chem, Bio, Maths) after my A2s and resat 1xGeography, 2xChem and 1xBio. I got 5 offers from Southampton, Newcastle, Dundee, Keele and UWE for Geography.
I was advised to apply to universities I could already get into (UWE and Dundee) and then on a sliding scale upwards, so Keele was BBC, Newcastle ABB and Southampton AAB. I knew that I wanted to aim as high as possible but wanted to make sure I definitely had a place regardless of my resits.
I emailed all the unis to ask and they said it was fine to do this, so definitely email them to double check :smile: Good luck!
Original post by jimfrederikson

I'm sure UCL ask for A*AA(A* in maths) to study economics?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I resat a year and loughborough accepted me.
Original post by Braptings

That doesn't make him wrong. All he said was that it was unlikely. You got lucky - you're clearly a weaker candidate than others if you had to resit, and so you would have had to prove yourself in other ways.
Original post by 16dan2life
I'm sure UCL ask for A*AA(A* in maths) to study economics?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Sorry, Economics + Geogrpahy Joint Degrees is only AAA

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending