The Student Room Group

Am I good enough to do maths at university?

I firmed Brunel University requiring BBB. I'm currently doing A2 Sociology (A), ICT (B) and Maths (B). I am on the OCR MEI Board and I got C1-70, C2-76(retake), S1-80 and C3-64 (retaking in June). I really enjoy maths and I always work very hard and I cannot see myself doing anything else right now but I'm worried whether I'm good enough to do it at uni. It would be great to get someone's experience who has doing or done maths at uni with a Grade B in A level maths.
Reply 1
I don't know anyone in a similar situation to you, but if the university's typical offer is BBB then the course will be designed so that it is accessible to people of that standard. Although there are a lot of people on this website with higher grades, don't be put off by that - not all mathematics courses are the same.
Reply 2
Original post by ttoby
I don't know anyone in a similar situation to you, but if the university's typical offer is BBB then the course will be designed so that it is accessible to people of that standard. Although there are a lot of people on this website with higher grades, don't be put off by that - not all mathematics courses are the same.

Yh it is the typical offer and I did look at the course content carefully and I felt that it was suited to me. I've definitely realised that many people doing maths on this site are A/A* Grade at maths & further maths Thank you :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Funkyhouse
Yh it is the typical offer and I did look at the course content carefully and I felt that it was suited to me. I've definitely realised that many people doing maths on this site are A/A* Grade at maths & further maths Thank you :smile:

If a university gives you an offer it means they must think you have the capability to handle that course :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by TheJ0ker
If a university gives you an offer it means they must think you have the capability to handle that course :smile:

That's true thank you, I'm very determined not to let myself down in the rest of the maths exams especially D1 :banghead:
Reply 5
I got a B in my maths A level (excruciatingly close to an A) but came out of my maths degree with a 2.1 from a Russell Group uni so it's definitely do-able! I got C1 (82) C2 (78) C3 (80) C4 (61) S1 (82) M1 (92) so our marks aren't that different. C4 really let me down so revise hard for that one!! I had to retake C1, C2 and M1 in year 13 cos I got all Cs and Ds first time round!
Reply 6
Original post by gaw821
I got a B in my maths A level (excruciatingly close to an A) but came out of my maths degree with a 2.1 from a Russell Group uni so it's definitely do-able! I got C1 (82) C2 (78) C3 (80) C4 (61) S1 (82) M1 (92) so our marks aren't that different. C4 really let me down so revise hard for that one!! I had to retake C1, C2 and M1 in year 13 cos I got all Cs and Ds first time round!

Wow that's amazing :adore: Thank you. Yh I did C4 yesterday I thought it went ok but i did make some silly mistakes but hopefully if the grade boundaries are 70 - A there's definitely hope for me getting a B. Not to mention that I still have the C3 retake as a lifeline so I'm hoping for the best. Again thank you for your comment :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest