The Student Room Group

A2 predicted grades ???

How are A2 predicted grades calculated?

Thanks
Teachers look at your AS results and make an informed prediction based on the grade in their subject, if you're doing any resits and your class work.
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
Teachers look at your AS results and make an informed prediction based on the grade in their subject, if you're doing any resits and your class work.

Thanks

Isn't it too subjective?

Let's say a person gets a B at AS.
If the teacher likes that person, then he/she can be predicted an A
If the teacher doesn't like that person, then he/she can be predicted a C.

Is this fair?
Reply 3
Original post by IAmTheChosenOne
Thanks

Isn't it too subjective?

Let's say a person gets a B at AS.
If the teacher likes that person, then he/she can be predicted an A
If the teacher doesn't like that person, then he/she can be predicted a C.

Is this fair?

I'm sure if the teacher is a good teacher, he/she would base their assumptions based on the pupils academic progress.
Reply 4
my mate got BBCC at AS and was predicted AAB. absoluteley ridiculous. i got AAB and was predicted AAA (and an A in my EPQ) which made sense
Reply 5
Usually they are quite fair. I got AAC in my 3 A2 subjects at AS, and got predictions of A*AB. My maths teacher knew I was retaking AS year (doing AS and A2 at same time) in the hope of getting an A, but didn't predict me it which I think is fair enough. It did annoy me slightly when another teacher predicted my friend an A* when they got a C at AS :l Hopefully I'll get an A though! I emailed my top choice uni (KCL) to tell them that I would get an A. I had nothing to lose by doing so, they'd reject me if they thought I was content with getting a B! Anyway I got an offer so fingers crossed :smile:

If you think you've been predicted the wrong grades, or just think you can do better, apply to a a couple of universities with requirements above your predicted grades if that's where you want to go. Contact them and let them know your situation, but don't make it sound like you're just bitter about what your teacher predicted you. Say that you understand your teacher's prediction, but you're sure you can beat it. That's what I did. The careers advisors at my college told me not to apply to KCL or UCL, and that I should apply to 2 BBB - BBC unis instead. But I knew if I got BBB/BBC that I'd just retake and reapply. So I applied to both, got automatic rejection from UCL but an offer from KCL :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
my school used our baseline targets from this FisherFamilyTrust which takes into account social background and previous grades...but they're not too accurate; a native French speaker got predicted a C that way in French...
so the teachers tend to use that as a guideline, then change it accordingly from what they know we can achieve, our AS grades and our attainment. Generally A2 predictions in the September of year 13 were just one grade above AS results :smile:
At my school it seems that if you are getting A-B at AS you are predicted the same for A2, but if you get a C or less (sometimes even with a B) you get predicted lower - obviously depending on factors like re-sits, motivation and work ethic. I think it might be because if you're getting a B-C at AS, you're likely to find it harder to cope with the harder work at A2 compared to if you're already getting A's at AS then you're likely to put in enough work/be clever enough to cope with the A2 standard.
It also depends a lot on the subjects you're taking - english and history it's harder to get an A*, but you're more likely to improve a lot in essay subjects compared to sciences. You just kind of have to trust your teachers - they know your organisational skills and how hard you work (more reliably than our own perceptions of ourselves) and they've had the experience of students improving or going down.
Reply 8
Original post by anna-chipie 95
My French teacher evidently isn't good then, based on that... I've provisionally been predicted a C :angry: but that has to go up... I got a B in the mock. Same with German, where I've been predicted B. Thing is, Im good at them, yet my organisation is kinda crap. German teacher (who's taught me Yr 7, 8 and then 10-12/13 so five years) has taken that into account, given me a B which can hopefully go up to an A.
French teacher, taught me for ONE year, obviously takes organisation massively into account, predicts me C. I hate her.

Some teachers take a dislike against certain students for no apparent reason, and like others for the same reason. Happened when we got a long term cover at A2 Economics.

I got an A at AS. He predicted B/C. Told me not to resit a paper as I wouldn't do any better. Guy got a B at AS. Resitting papers all over the shop. 'He'll get an A no problem.' :rolleyes:

Result: 346/400 and 75 UMS up to 93. Wish I'd seen his face when he found out!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Based on AS
but if your teacher is cool, based on what you want/need for Uni
Reply 10
Original post by laura94
Usually they are quite fair. I got AAC in my 3 A2 subjects at AS, and got predictions of A*AB. My maths teacher knew I was retaking AS year (doing AS and A2 at same time) in the hope of getting an A, but didn't predict me it which I think is fair enough. It did annoy me slightly when another teacher predicted my friend an A* when they got a C at AS :l Hopefully I'll get an A though! I emailed my top choice uni (KCL) to tell them that I would get an A. I had nothing to lose by doing so, they'd reject me if they thought I was content with getting a B! Anyway I got an offer so fingers crossed :smile:

If you think you've been predicted the wrong grades, or just think you can do better, apply to a a couple of universities with requirements above your predicted grades if that's where you want to go. Contact them and let them know your situation, but don't make it sound like you're just bitter about what your teacher predicted you. Say that you understand your teacher's prediction, but you're sure you can beat it. That's what I did. The careers advisors at my college told me not to apply to KCL or UCL, and that I should apply to 2 BBB - BBC unis instead. But I knew if I got BBB/BBC that I'd just retake and reapply. So I applied to both, got automatic rejection from UCL but an offer from KCL :smile:

Which course did you apply for at KCL?
Reply 11
Original post by omaralr
Which course did you apply for at KCL?

Philosophy :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest