The Student Room Group

GCSE results needed for Oxbridge?

I just want to know what is the minimum grades you need to get in GCSEs to be considered for Oxbridge.

This is what I am easily able to get (not being arrogant)
Maths - A*
Biology - A*
Chemistry - A*
Physics - A*
ICT - A* (Any year 10s will say this is this very easy)
RE - A* (Any year 10s will say this is this very easy)
Sport Studies - A*
Bengali - A/A*
History - A
English - B
English lit - B/A

I'm worried this means I might get 2 Bs which may a weakness :s
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
2 Bs will not be a weakness
They're better than my results and I got an offer :smile:
Reply 3
Woohoo a fellow Bengali@@

Nice grades too
Your GCSE's are fine, just make sure your A-levels are excellent too(A's and A*'S)
Reply 5
Should be fine, depends on the field you want to go into though. Anything essay based and they may hold getting 2 Bs at GCSE against you, but looking at your results I would guess that wouldn't be the kind of thing you'd want to do.

Except from the optional subjects, I think the grades you put there would be my lowest grades as well. I'm aiming for A*s in English, but it will more likely be As
Reply 6
Original post by Alvi R
Woohoo a fellow Bengali@@

Nice grades too

Where in Bangladesh are you from if you don't mind?
Reply 7
Original post by silverspoonmess
They're better than my results and I got an offer :smile:

If you don't mind me asking, what were your offers results?
Reply 8
Yep, you've hit minimum 7A*s and with an A* in Bengali will only give you a better chance. It depends on what course you want to do there, and of course, doing very well at AS & A2. I think they may allow the Bs in English, as R.S - which is pretty much a fully writing (essay style) subject is A*. They could see from this that you can be varied & not just good at straight sciences. I think you doing a language and having an A*/A in it will also suit to your advantage.
Reply 9
Original post by pop101
Yep, you've hit minimum 7A*s and with an A* in Bengali will only give you a better chance. It depends on what course you want to do there, and of course, doing very well at AS & A2. I think they may allow the Bs in English, as R.S - which is pretty much a fully writing (essay style) subject is A*. They could see from this that you can be varied & not just good at straight sciences. I think you doing a language and having an A*/A in it will also suit to your advantage.

I don't think an A* in Bengali will help because I kind of already know how to speak the language which may give the impression I wasn't really tested in Bengali GCSE but if I lie saying I didn't know how to talk or write after this GCSE will it be considered...KK
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by JamalAhmed
If you don't mind me asking, what were your offers results?

5A* 3As B C and a C in Further Maths FSMQ - the B and other C were in art and textiles though, and I went on to get 6As at AS and 4A* predictions... i think AS/entrance exam results are so much more important.
My offer is Law at Keble, Oxford, 3As
Reply 11
I just want to know what is the minimum grades you need to get in GCSEs to be considered for Oxbridge.

This is what I am easily able to get (not being arrogant)
Maths - A*
Biology - A*
Chemistry - A*
Physics - A*
ICT - A* (Any year 10s will say this is this very easy)
RE - A* (Any year 10s will say this is this very easy)
Sport Studies - A*
Bengali - A/A*
History - A
English - B
English lit - B/A

I'm worried this means I might get 2 Bs which may a weakness :s

There is no "minimum". True, a typical Oxbridge candidate will by common myth have a full A/A* profile, but that doesn't mean to say it's a minimum in any way, shape or form. A couple lower grades isn't going to harm you, and many people get offered places with lower GCSE grades than you.

Don't fret, you're still in for a great chance. With good GCSE predictions like that (and yes, they are very good) it's A levels that are going to count the most. Good luck :smile:
Reply 12
Where in Bangladesh are you from if you don't mind?

Moulvibazar, you?
Reply 13
Original post by Alvi R
Moulvibazar, you?

LOL I live a bit close from there. Beanibazar
Reply 14
Original post by silverspoonmess
5A* 3As B C and a C in Further Maths FSMQ - the B and other C were in art and textiles though, and I went on to get 6As at AS and 4A* predictions... i think AS/entrance exam results are so much more important.
My offer is Law at Keble, Oxford, 3As

What's keble?
Reply 15
After reading the great responses to JamalAhmed's original post, I was just wondering if someone could offer the same feedback on my predictions, I would appreciate it if someone contributed.

English:A*
English Literature: A*
Maths: Currently B/C, but I am on the fast track scheme and can easily achieve an A in a standard group.
Physics:A*
Chemistry:A*
Biology:A*
ICT:A
RE:A
Business Studies:A*
History:A*
Spanish:A

Thank you for any responses, I am currently a bit worried as I am preparing for the joy of a maths exam tomorrow and am proscatinating on TSR, or watching the Euros, or anything that isn't revising!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
What's keble?

A college there
What's keble?

An Oxford college...
Original post by iamjordan
After reading the great responses to JamalAhmed's original post, I was just wondering if someone could offer the same feedback on my predictions, I would appreciate it if someone contributed.

Maths: Currently B/C, but I am on the fast track scheme and can easily achieve an A in a standard group.

Thank you for any responses, I am currently a bit worried as I am preparing for the joy of a maths exam tomorrow and am proscatinating on TSR, or watching the Euros, or anything that isn't revising!

If you had read the above responses you'd know that these results are better than fine.
Reply 19
Original post by iamjordan

Better then me. And you got an A* in Language - that's good. Also you can get an A* in RE easily, can't you? It's the easiest GCSE.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending