The Student Room Group

Terrible writing in exams... what will the examiner do?

My writing away from exams is really neat. When do my exam I'm in a state of panic and have so much information in my head I go crazy making sure I get everything down and meet the time limits. I end up writing super fast but my writing looks like scribbles sometimes.

Will the examiner completely ignore all the sentences with hard to read words or will they send it off to someone so they can check it really thoroughly? How do I write fast and neat? I'm concerned as I can't just translate the word to them like I can in school. I really do try to slow down my writing pace but then it becomes even scruffier.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Magenta96
My writing away from exams is really neat. When do my exam I'm in a state of panic and have so much information in my head I go crazy making sure I get everything down and meet the time limits. I end up writing super fast but my writing looks like scribbles sometimes.

Will the examiner completely ignore all the sentences with hard to read words or will they send it off to someone so they can check it really thoroughly? How do I write fast and neat? I'm concerned as I can't just translate the word to them like I can in school. I really do try to slow down my writing pace but then it becomes even scruffier.

No. He'll more than likely rub one out because he's a socio-psycho-paedophile who gets aroused by two things:

Bad handwriting

Roadkill

I think my opinions on examiners are clear.
I think they'd make a decent effort to decipher it, though they do have to mark a lot and can't afford to spend ages on a single one.
Ah bad handwriting. I share your pain.
Reply 4
My friend has the worst handwriting imaginable, and the examiners have always been able to cope (she got As and A*s in essay subjects at GCSE). She leaves little messages at the end apologising to the examiner for her terrible writing, and ends with a little smiley face :tongue:
Reply 5
Original post by Ra Ra
My friend has the worst handwriting imaginable, and the examiners have always been able to cope (she got As and A*s in essay subjects at GCSE). She leaves little messages at the end apologising to the examiner for her terrible writing, and ends with a little smiley face :tongue:

Possibly wouldn't read that anyway lol.

OP - examiners will try their hardest to read your writing, they have been reading a lot of scripts with various handwritings, good and bad, so they'll have come across bad ones, and I'm sure yours won't be the worst one they have came up against or will come against. I don't think it'll go to another examiner though.
Reply 6
Should I leave a message at the end apologising for my bad writing? If they read that they may be slightly less annoyed at me, do you think?
Reply 7
Naa, I know countless people that do the same in exams (including me!). It's always a compromise between writing as fast as possible and actually making it legible! I cannot read my friends writing, it is the pointiest crazyiest stuff I've ever seen but she's never got below an A including English and history exams. The examiners really try their hardest.

The smiley face idea is kinda cute though...if you have the time to spare!
Reply 8
i don't think you'll lose that many marks cos there's someone at my school whose writing is just terrible and he still managed 3A*'s at A level. god knows how the examiners managed to read his work.
Reply 9
I think that comes in the job description, it's almost impossible to
not expect different variations of handwriting.. most examiners
have tons of experience anyway so they've come across a fair bit
of 'good' and 'bad' handwriting :tongue:
Reply 10
my writing is awful.

i write on one line, then miss a line then write on the other line

its funny with essays as i have lots of answer books, and everyone looks at me like ive done lots of writing! lol
dont worry Im sure they've seen worse :smile:
I have the same problem, my subject teachers always tell me that it needs to improve and they always mark me lower when I hand past papers in to them.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Is there anyway I can get exam papers remarked somehow, with some one else deeply reading my writing as teachers tell me that if they can't understand a word or sentence; then I will not be given a credential mark for it

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
In my experience as an examiner, the answer to the question is, 'Struggle, curse, try really hard, give as much benefit of the doubt as possible, then refer it to the senior examiner for a second opinion.'
I think it only has to be legible for the examiner to mark it - maybe practise writing stuff by hand whenever possible in neatish handwriting and that might gradually help you speed up, although you may not have time for that - maybe an idea for next time though?
Reply 16
I know this thread isn't active anymore but can someone help me!!! I don't usually write notes in my exam to the examiner but I did today because my handwriting was a mess so I just said sorry for the messy handwriting. I was okay till I read how people can get disqualified if they write notes to their examiner??? Is this true? I didn't write anything offensive :frown:
Original post by Tcbl37_
I know this thread isn't active anymore but can someone help me!!! I don't usually write notes in my exam to the examiner but I did today because my handwriting was a mess so I just said sorry for the messy handwriting. I was okay till I read how people can get disqualified if they write notes to their examiner??? Is this true? I didn't write anything offensive :frown:

No.
Reply 18
Thank you! But I might lose marks if the examiner is grumpy/annoyed?
Original post by Tcbl37_
Thank you! But I might lose marks if the examiner is grumpy/annoyed?

Whilst being human beings and prone to moods as we all are, examiners are also professionals and work in teams to ensure that there is as little bias as possible. Stop fretting and do something useful instead of working yourself up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending