The Student Room Group

Starbucks asking your name

Scroll to see replies

Just do what I do and say your name is Costa
Reply 41
Original post by Future Doc
I love it because my name is such a common english name yet I've had it spelt differently on three separate occasions.

The Starbucks in Stratford, London has had this name policy since they opened.

Being Vikki is an absolute nightmare! I love the headsets in the one in Westfield too! Although they did get my drink wrong because they couldn't hear each other...
Reply 42
Original post by Feem
I can agree with that comment from the BBC.

I've been to Subway a few times and the staff are always over the top with everything; "nice and healthy for you this wednesday afternoon" blah blah

When I go to a restaurant I just want my food or drink, nothing else

...holy crap does this make me unsociable?!

Not really, I think what gets me is the attitude you get off people for doing your job. People seem to think i WANT to know their name...
Wow some of the things here are just odd, all they want to do is make sure they avoid muddling up the order? their not going to remember you and hunt you down. Honestly if it bothers you that much give them a fake name.
Just another reason not to drink in Starbucks.
Reply 45
Original post by Memento Mori
It doesn't bother me - it's no different from giving your name when ordering a take away, or a taxi. If people are really that bothered, they can just say their name's "Smith" or something.

This. If I hadn't read this I might be a little confused the first time it happened until they called my name, as I wouldn't know why they asked. But it makes sense, as said by Memento Mori... you do it for takeaways, restaurant bookings, taxis etc. Our name is the thing used to identify us, this kind of thing is it's purpose.

xxx
Original post by Tigzie
Being Vikki is an absolute nightmare! I love the headsets in the one in Westfield too! Although they did get my drink wrong because they couldn't hear each other...

Damn, I can only imagine how many variations your name must have!

I had a confrontation once because a customer tried to take my drink. She was insistant it was hers and I just asked "Is this your name?". The barista got the headset and said "Gladiators ready?". Hilarious.
They already do this at EAT... unfortunately most of the staff are foreign and struggle with my name due to its gaelic nature
Reply 48
Damn, I can only imagine how many variations your name must have!

I had a confrontation once because a customer tried to take my drink. She was insistant it was hers and I just asked "Is this your name?". The barista got the headset and said "Gladiators ready?". Hilarious.

Omg love it. Maybe it's really been put in to make our jobs that little bit more fun...You do get some silly people about and now we know their first names too! Haha!
Reply 49
Oh and on a related note we now have to wear our names on our work uniforms - I now have people chasing after me calling my name asking me to wipe tables. Not so nice for us either....
Funny, I've been going to Starbucks for years and never have they asked me for my name.

On a side note, I don't know why people think their names are private information. If it bothers you that much just give out a fake one imo.
I really don't mind at all. Makes it easier to work out whose coffee is whose, anyway.
Reply 52
I often use a fake name - for my own amusement if anything, rather than hesitant about people knowing my first name.

It's hilarious to see some of the bar staff's reactions when I tell them my name is 'Johnny'.

(I'm a short Indian guy with glasses).
I've had a lifetime of explaining to people how to spell/pronounce my ridiculous first name (thanks a bunch, Dad) so I think I shall just say the first thing I see when I go into the shop. Counter. Chair. Cake. Mongoose. Whatever.
Man, you Brits sure like to bitch about everything. Seriously. Having to tell someone your name puts you off? How pathetic. Talk about first world problems. You guys sound like a bunch of spoiled brats.

"Lack of privacy" Really? It's not like they check your ID to make sure you give them the right name. Just give them a fake, unique name. Problem solved.

Original post by Tigzie
Oh and on a related note we now have to wear our names on our work uniforms - I now have people chasing after me calling my name asking me to wipe tables. Not so nice for us either....

What's the difference between that and them shouting, "Miss? Miss! Miss!!!!"? At least when they know your name you'll pay attention more quickly and get the job done, instead of pissing them off because they think you're ignoring them.
Reply 55
I love it because my name is such a common english name yet I've had it spelt differently on three separate occasions.

The Starbucks in Stratford, London has had this name policy since they opened.

Agh, I visit the Stratford Starbucks a few times a week due to working in Westfield and oh my god, crazy queues and asking for names is not a good combo. It would be so much faster and easier for them to not ask for names.

Plus, I have a pretty bog standard name but I get some classic spellings/misinterpretations.
Reply 56
Original post by Tigzie
I have a part time job at Starbucks and had my first shift under the new customer service package on Saturday. This is where the barista will ask for your name and call your name for you to collect your order rather than what drink you have. I thought this was a good idea (although rather time consuming) as people often walk out with the wrong drinks when it gets busy. However, lots of people seemed genuinely bemused at the fact I was asking them their name and numerous people refused. I even had someone thinking I was chatting them up! I have looked on the BBC website article (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17356957) and many people seem to find it uncomfortable. Just wondering what everyone else thinks? I understand that it's not a very British thing to do, but it's just your first name... it's not like we can commit identity fraud. One comment from the bbc article that took me aback was;

"Well good luck with that. I go to Starbucks and all I want is a cup of coffee and not some phoney-baloney 'have a nice day' type deal. Is a cup of regular coffee and a bit of civility too much to ask for when you're paying Starbucks prices ? I don't want strangers addressing me by my first name (or my last). There has to be a bit of distance here."

I understand the idea of 'just wanting a cup of coffee' but distance seems a bit harsh? I wouldn't say shouting your first name for your drink was particularly close? Opinions please!

On a side note, if you don't like being asked your name please don't take it out on the person serving, it's now part of passing our mystery guests that we ask so we have to! :wink:

EEEESH. Starbucks asking for mans name. Next they'll be charging me for my coffee.
Original post by Unicron
If I ever go into a starbucks and they ask for my name, I shall say it's: "Mr. [my surname]" (Although my surname isn't the easiest of things to spell or pronounce, if you saw it written). It's much more formal and polite to be addressed like this: "Mr. Smith, your coffee is ready" rather than "John, your coffee is ready". I'm not at my Nan's.

Oh, I like that. Unfortunately my surname is also (even though it's a common english word!) a bugger for people to get right.
Reply 58
Well good luck with that. I go to Starbucks and all I want is a cup of coffee and not some phoney-baloney 'have a nice day' type deal. Is a cup of regular coffee and a bit of civility too much to ask for when you're paying Starbucks prices ? I don't want strangers addressing me by my first name (or my last). There has to be a bit of distance here."

This.

I'm also annoyed by the sizes. I want a Large, not a Venti or whatever. And the silly names. I liked the episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm where Larry orders a coffee. "Give me one of those... you know, one of those vanilla bull**** things."

I wouldn't give out my first name and wouldn't want it shouted all over the restaurant. It just seems totally weird.

All in all, however, it's hard to dislike Starbucks.
Reply 59
I guess if they're only calling out people's names, nobody will be confused when the barista calls out the name of my drink. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest