The Student Room Group

Sociology Unit 4 - Crime - 19th June 2012 - Notes - Disscussion and more

Scroll to see replies

Reply 860
Original post by FishOuttaWater
Aggh I actually want to cry. I feel so overwhelmed. There's too much to know! What are the actual chances of Media coming up... What do you think?

There is actually loads to know!!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Exactly. How do they expect us to do this. AQA are making me hate my favourite subject!
I'm just going to wake up early tomorrow and spend the whole day revising my butt off.

Original post by walkhms
You guys I really need help!! PLEASE do any of you have useful notes on victims of crime, age representations of crime and social class? Id highly appreciate it!!!!

You could talk about how the criminal can actually be the victim too:

Marxist's suggest that the working class are a victim of crime in sense that capitalism is criminogenic and therefore the exploitation of the proletarians by the Bourgeoise to maximise their profit at any human cost leads to the Working class being poor and therefore they have to survive on crime for economic necessity, while also having no control over their daily lives they become alienated by the dehumanising state in the workforce that leads them to commit non-utilitarian crimes out frustration. In short: Working class are the victims of the exploitative crimes of the ruling class leading them to commit crime themselves to exist.

Also, you could talk about Labelling theorists like Aaron Circoule's study of the 'negotiation of justice' whereby police have a typification of the typical criminal, so in the sense the police's stereotypical assumptions of the criminal can make the 'deviant' become a victim of social control. Eg. they assume the working class fit the typification and therefore they patrol and stop/search the working class. (this can fit in with ethnicity since ethnic minorities will be more likely in deprived areas)

While, 'true victims' can be explained through the left realist theory, by the saturation of consumption in the media leads to greater relative deprivation individuals may feel pressure to commit crime to get these things, they will aim to commit crimes with the highest success rate in poorer areas this can lead to intra class / intra ethnic crime, so the victim is the poor.

Hope that helps :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by JamesR1993
Merton is seperate to subcultural theory, he has his own theory (Strain), don't think Cohen is subcultural either but not 100% sure on that one.

Albert k Cohen is a subcultural theory.
Reply 864
Exactly. How do they expect us to do this. AQA are making me hate my favourite subject!
I'm just going to wake up early tomorrow and spend the whole day revising my butt off.

Yep that's the way to do it

Reply 865
Original post by Mariya786
could someone explain 'global risk consciousness' :s-smilie: ?

its do with enviromental crime and is basically becks arguement on it as he goes that in our modern society we have the resources to provide for all developed countries but this increase in productivity and technology has lead to the manufacturing of new global risks which are likely to harm the enviroment such as global warming which comes from the greenhouse gases from factories and that this is global because the actions of one country may affect another for example the greenhouse gases from one country may drift into the next country.
Reply 866
sorry if this has already been asked but what would we write if a 21 marker for suicide came up ?
Guys, what would you write on an essay about geography + crime? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by onlyyouknowbest
I reckon Merton's strain theory/ethnicity/suicide/realism or punishment might come up! It's defo between thosee topicss

Do you think Merton's strain theory could come up as an entire 21 marker though? I don't know...it just seems too small a topic? And how would such a question be phrased anyway? :/
Original post by nabz
its do with enviromental crime and is basically becks arguement on it as he goes that in our modern society we have the resources to provide for all developed countries but this increase in productivity and technology has lead to the manufacturing of new global risks which are likely to harm the enviroment such as global warming which comes from the greenhouse gases from factories and that this is global because the actions of one country may affect another for example the greenhouse gases from one country may drift into the next country.

Would that be the same for mad cow disease, bird flu and other effects that are blamed on the food production coming through from other countries?
Reply 870
For anyone struggling with revision - I really recommend quizlet.com
It's a site with loads of virtual revision cards on it, and there are a couple of sets for this unit - eg. http://quizlet.com/4062314/crime-and-deviance-flash-cards/

Games like Scatter really help you learn the stuff on the cards!
In regards to "Crime Prevention" that some of us talked about yesterday, I will use the examples of methods used that were inspired by the "Broken Window Thesis" but I'd also like to add in some contemporary examples of political tackles on society. And so I found this...

(Hopefully I attached it)

What I want to ask is what theory can I apply to this contemporary method that's happening right now. It's so useful I was scrolling through the internet news in May and found it luckily. Please feel free to use it if crime prevention comes up!
I'm actually feeling a bit more confident today, still have to go over social policy, sociology as a science and value freedom & a few c&d topics but I dont feel quite so overwhelmned now :smile:
Aggh I actually want to cry. I feel so overwhelmed. There's too much to know! What are the actual chances of Media coming up... What do you think?

Urmm i haven't even see a question on media "/, does anyone know when the last one was?
Original post by Unientry2012
In regards to "Crime Prevention" that some of us talked about yesterday, I will use the examples of methods used that were inspired by the "Broken Window Thesis" but I'd also like to add in some contemporary examples of political tackles on society. And so I found this...

(Hopefully I attached it)

What I want to ask is what theory can I apply to this contemporary method that's happening right now. It's so useful I was scrolling through the internet news in May and found it luckily. Please feel free to use it if crime prevention comes up!

Left realism, they want like society to work together(multi agency approach) & to reintroduce trust between the peole and police
Reply 875
Likelyhood of 'sociology in science' seeing as it came up in the spec paper?
Reply 876
Original post by coolasacucumber
Urmm i haven't even see a question on media "/, does anyone know when the last one was?

Media was on the spec paper and in June 2010 - i think its unlikely to come up, however is quite basic especially if you did 'mass media' as a unit 3 exam
Original post by rach08
Media was on the spec paper and in June 2010 - i think its unlikely to come up, however is quite basic especially if you did 'mass media' as a unit 3 exam

I did beliefs in society, & havent even started media yet =(.
Original post by coolasacucumber
Left realism, they want like society to work together(multi agency approach) & to reintroduce trust between the peole and police

Oh ok, but it's kind of like the zero-tolerance where they tackle the smallest of crimes to stop them leading onto bigger ones. That's why I can't decide between the two.
Even if you think it might not come up, two years ago isn't a definite period to say it can't come up, so i'd revise it anyway. Plus, there is a fair bit of overlap with the theories as well.

Quick Reply