The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6780
Original post by jules94
Do you have to pay an extra fee for the university of London exams ? Or is that included in the tuition fee.

what university of london exams? you do ucl exams. and your degree is from UCL not University of London.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Can anyone confirm the availability of accommodation for UK postgraduates in 2012/13. I've just accepted an offer for an MPhil at UCL. The website seems to indicate that UK graduate students will not be offered a place at UCL Halls of Residence (actually, the advise them to look privately). Is this a categorical no to UK postgrads with regards Halls?

Is the same true of Student Houses and Intercollegiate Halls? If so, is this categorical, or just based on demand?

I've emailed UCL, but yet to receive a response.
Original post by GlassVase
Can anyone confirm the availability of accommodation for UK postgraduates in 2012/13. I've just accepted an offer for an MPhil at UCL. The website seems to indicate that UK graduate students will not be offered a place at UCL Halls of Residence (actually, the advise them to look privately). Is this a categorical no to UK postgrads with regards Halls?

Is the same true of Student Houses and Intercollegiate Halls? If so, is this categorical, or just based on demand?

Hey GlassVase--in exactly the same situation. I emailed too, several months ago, but you can pretty much give up on a response. I applied for accommodation anyway (because it is exponentially cheaper that flat sharing, Christ), but I think the odds of UK postgrads getting anything are laughably minimal. (Out of curiosity, what are you studying?)

Sorry the news couldn't be better! If anybody else knows more about this, I'd welcome the information, too.

In the accommodation FAQs, under deadlines, it says "30th June of the year of entry for Postgraduate students. You must firmly accept your offer to study at UCL by 30th June to be guaranteed accommodation." - I would take that to mean that we postgrads are guaranteed accommodation if we apply and confirm everything by then?

Co-incidentally, I've tried applying for accommodation yesterday, but when I try to log in on the application website it doesn't recognise my email/password (I can log into portico just fine). I've accepted my conditional offer a few weeks ago already, do I need to get an unconditional before I can apply for accommodation? You two said you had applied already did that just work with the email you used for your initial application?
Original post by MagLatus
In the accommodation FAQs, under deadlines, it says "30th June of the year of entry for Postgraduate students. You must firmly accept your offer to study at UCL by 30th June to be guaranteed accommodation." - I would take that to mean that we postgrads are guaranteed accommodation if we apply and confirm everything by then?

Co-incidentally, I've tried applying for accommodation yesterday, but when I try to log in on the application website it doesn't recognise my email/password (I can log into portico just fine). I've accepted my conditional offer a few weeks ago already, do I need to get an unconditional before I can apply for accommodation? You two said you had applied already did that just work with the email you used for your initial application?

Hi MagLatus. You should definitely be able to apply for accommodation with a conditional offer. I remember doing something irritatingly round-about regarding registering an email address or somesuch, but it is very doable.
Reply 6785

In my experience it's always better to ring them for a quicker response (or better yet, if you're in the area, go to the actual office cos there's no way they can avoid you then :tongue:). I was under the impression that there were some halls that were specifically for postgrads, so I'd assume you'd have some chance. You don't lose anything by applying anyway.
For UCL student houses, is the internet over wifi or is it wired connection? Just wanted to know if i'd be able to connect my phone/laptop over wifi or not
Original post by nikhil.shah
For UCL student houses, is the internet over wifi or is it wired connection? Just wanted to know if i'd be able to connect my phone/laptop over wifi or not

All have wired via ethernet, some have wifi via eduroam in their common rooms or if you're close enough to campus.
Original post by Noodlzzz
All have wired via ethernet, some have wifi via eduroam in their common rooms or if you're close enough to campus.

Cheers and i'm guessing each room has just one ethernet connection point, may bring my ps3 so just checking if i'd have to unconnect to and from the internet between the ps3 and laptop
Cheers and i'm guessing each room has just one ethernet connection point, may bring my ps3 so just checking if i'd have to unconnect to and from the internet between the ps3 and laptop

It's worth bearing in mind that at the very least on my xbox I can't access the internet as once you plug it in you have to 'validate' the connection through a web browser using your room number and socket code. I'm not sure if you can access web browsing through PS3 though - if you can it might still work.

Just the one. I've had trouble connecting my xbox via the ethernet cable. Not sure if it's me doing something wrong or the xbox is wrong? But don't pin your hopes on getting the PS3 to connect. You could do a bridge thing where you make the ethernet port into a wifi but it's technically against their contract, not sure if/how they would find out though...
Original post by dirtyoldriver
It's worth bearing in mind that at the very least on my xbox I can't access the internet as once you plug it in you have to 'validate' the connection through a web browser using your room number and socket code. I'm not sure if you can access web browsing through PS3 though - if you can it might still work.

Sorry just to clarify is it just web browsing you have a problem with on the xbox? Or can you not really play online either?
Reply 6792
Sorry just to clarify is it just web browsing you have a problem with on the xbox? Or can you not really play online either?

you need the browser to be able to authenticate the connection. if you can't authenticate the connection, you can't play online.
Hi! I was wondering- has any of you who have unconditional offers already heard about accommodation? Have you been allocated one? Thanks:smile:!
Reply 6794
Original post by PJ991
what university of london exams? you do ucl exams. and your degree is from UCL not University of London.

haha, Thanks for clearing that up !

I was confused :s-smilie:
Original post by Dominika4
Hi! I was wondering- has any of you who have unconditional offers already heard about accommodation? Have you been allocated one? Thanks:smile:!

Nothing so far, just a mention on the new students website that info will be forthcoming shortly.
Reply 6796
Great, I've missed UCL's accomodation deadline. Do you know if there is still something I can do? (BTW, I'm not in the UK and I don't know anyone there so renting a flat would be hardly possible and really expensive I guess...)
Thanks a lot! :smile:
Original post by Ric_94
Great, I've missed UCL's accomodation deadline. Do you know if there is still something I can do? (BTW, I'm not in the UK and I don't know anyone there so renting a flat would be hardly possible and really expensive I guess...)
Thanks a lot! :smile:

You can still submit an application but it will be given lower priority and you won't be guaranteed. The best thing to do is send one in and then make preparations for potentially having to find private housing come September. It sucks but it's not impossible - I think UCL has recommendations for alternative housing services over the internet.
Reply 6798
Original post by dirtyoldriver
You can still submit an application but it will be given lower priority and you won't be guaranteed. The best thing to do is send one in and then make preparations for potentially having to find private housing come September. It sucks but it's not impossible - I think UCL has recommendations for alternative housing services over the internet.

Thanks! I'm going to look for it right now! :smile:
Hi! d like to ask whether you have a option to choose vegetarian food in the catered halls. There is no information on food in the halls at the ucl website....Thanks!:smile: