The Student Room Group

Uni-fever too early?!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Abbseh
That's awesome! How did you get an unconditional?!
Our careers adviser is awesome, she is so lovely and seems to know a fair bit about everything :smile: Although, when I said astrophysics she has she'd have to do some research! Ahaha
Yes I've got a whooooole lot to aim for! A whole lot of high expectations and grade predictions unfortunately

Lucky as hell really. I live in Scotland so I did Highers which some uni's take as equivalent to AS levels, but some will give you offers based on those rather than Advanced Highers. :smile:
Sounds really cool actually. I wanted to be an astronomer once, then decided not to. :lol: Is astrophysics what you want to do now?
Ouch. High expectations are sometimes good, sometimes not. Best of luck anyway, I'm sure you'll do well though, you seem pretty driven. :biggrin:
Reply 41
Original post by Abbseh
At first my family were like "why do you keep getting prospectuses?!" but they soon accepted it!
Ahaha I haven't done that just yet, although I did look at St Andrews' days yesterday :smile:

Mine will probably take the p*ss out of me for a while until it gets boring- we're a tad dysfunctional :rolleyes: i've looked at cambridge/london unis open days but most are booked up this year! the problem is if i do go to TCD's or if i went to st andrews, a lot of travelling would be involved... my dad wouldn't mind about trinity though, he went there :smile:
Original post by Abbseh
I'm doing maths, further maths, chemistry, biology and physics for my A Levels which I wouldn't have decided upon had I not looked through the prospectuses :smile:
If i think about it this way, I need to know where I want to go as I'll need to visit them after christmas and actually apply in september which is nearly a year away. It doesn't seem tooooo early, I just see no one else doing the same as me :/

5 A levels?????
Original post by Abbseh
I would have loved to do AS maths in year 10 but my school messed up my set so I got put into a lower one than I should have, until last September that is.
So much freedom! I'd love to do something like what you do with the woods, however my parents would go absolutely mental at me ahaha. I'm doing maths, possibly further maths (ideally), chemistry, biology and physics. All my favourites! Well... I don't love biology but I tolerate it.
I haven't looked at Loughborough but fromyour description it sounds very good :smile: What grade do they want from you to get in?
Good luck with it, I'm sure you'll do it!

If you're not loving biology now then don't be reluctant to cut your losses before it becomes a waste of time and drop it early on in year 12 because 5 ASs in those subjects is a hell of a lot of work and it's better to get 4 A*s than 4 Bs and a C for instance. It's very easy to let one subject that you don't like as much fall behind a little and concentrate on the others (especially when doing the 5 arguably most academically challenging ones) and then try to cram it in at the last minute and not do as much revision for the other 4 as you'd like to. So if biology isn't completely necessary for what you want to do then by all means take it and see how it goes but don't be reluctant to give up on it if it's becoming a drag and you're lacking motivation in it because realistically it will only get harder as the year goes on.
Reply 44
Original post by cgraham15
Ah okay :smile: check them all out on the Complete University Guide (it gives pod rankings per subject). Also, I heard Heiot Watt is good for science.

Oh that sounds great! I'll do just that, thank you :smile:
Reply 45
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
Lucky as hell really. I live in Scotland so I did Highers which some uni's take as equivalent to AS levels, but some will give you offers based on those rather than Advanced Highers. :smile:
Sounds really cool actually. I wanted to be an astronomer once, then decided not to. :lol: Is astrophysics what you want to do now?
Ouch. High expectations are sometimes good, sometimes not. Best of luck anyway, I'm sure you'll do well though, you seem pretty driven. :biggrin:

You're so lucky, Scotland seem to have such a good system for Uni... I wish I lived there!
Yes astrophysics, or chemistry. I'd have to say chemistry is my best subject and I really do enjoy it but maths/physics I enjoy immensely (also good at them). So I don't know.

A*AA and AAA for the ones I would most like to go to! Dayyyym that's high :frown:
Thank you! Good luck to you too :smile:
Reply 46
Original post by meeow
Mine will probably take the p*ss out of me for a while until it gets boring- we're a tad dysfunctional :rolleyes: i've looked at cambridge/london unis open days but most are booked up this year! the problem is if i do go to TCD's or if i went to st andrews, a lot of travelling would be involved... my dad wouldn't mind about trinity though, he went there :smile:

Don't worry, my family is dysfunctional too :biggrin: I guess with my sister going this year it's taken some of the lime light from my early prep :smile:
I know! They go so fast... and most you have to book through your school and I feel silly asking now :/

St Andrews is about a 5-7 hour train journey for me but I'm not too bothered about it, I think it's worth it :smile: My friends sister is a Trinity, the same friend also trying for Trinity entry 2014! What did your dad study?
Reply 47
Original post by That Bearded Man
5 A levels?????

Mmmhmm :smile: Further Maths is offered as a subject both in school time and after school, almost all of the time being taken as a 5th at AS, just in my school anyway.
Reply 48
Original post by littleone271
If you're not loving biology now then don't be reluctant to cut your losses before it becomes a waste of time and drop it early on in year 12 because 5 ASs in those subjects is a hell of a lot of work and it's better to get 4 A*s than 4 Bs and a C for instance. It's very easy to let one subject that you don't like as much fall behind a little and concentrate on the others (especially when doing the 5 arguably most academically challenging ones) and then try to cram it in at the last minute and not do as much revision for the other 4 as you'd like to. So if biology isn't completely necessary for what you want to do then by all means take it and see how it goes but don't be reluctant to give up on it if it's becoming a drag and you're lacking motivation in it because realistically it will only get harder as the year goes on.

Hmm, yes that is very true. I'm going to give it a go as in my school we can change/swap/drop a subject until mid October at the latest, giving people a change to get a feel of it :smile: I'm good at it and I enjoy it but not as much as the others, the lessons seem to drag and I don't think 'Oh yes, biology now!' like I would do for the others...
Reply 49
Original post by Abbseh
Don't worry, my family is dysfunctional too :biggrin: I guess with my sister going this year it's taken some of the lime light from my early prep :smile:
I know! They go so fast... and most you have to book through your school and I feel silly asking now :/

St Andrews is about a 5-7 hour train journey for me but I'm not too bothered about it, I think it's worth it :smile: My friends sister is a Trinity, the same friend also trying for Trinity entry 2014! What did your dad study?

Hurrah for crazy families! My sister isn't going to uni- what will she study? That is a long journey...
He did chemistry- the application process over there is a lot more logical than here though! you get an offer AFTER your grades, which makes more sense :smile:
Original post by Abbseh
You're so lucky, Scotland seem to have such a good system for Uni... I wish I lived there!
Yes astrophysics, or chemistry. I'd have to say chemistry is my best subject and I really do enjoy it but maths/physics I enjoy immensely (also good at them). So I don't know.

A*AA and AAA for the ones I would most like to go to! Dayyyym that's high :frown:
Thank you! Good luck to you too :smile:

They do. :smile: Of course, silly old me is going to England to be different (and bankrupt, but I reckon it'll be worth it). They both sound really cool, I nearly did Chemistry but changed my mind. Biology's probably my best subject this year, but then my class was tiny, we got loads of attention.

Oh wow. That's nasty. But it'll definitely be worth the work later on! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending