The Student Room Group

EPQ

Wrong thread :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
The EPQ (Extended Project Qualification) is basically a research project in an area of your choice. Last year I did mine on the potential for Lucid Dreaming, so the topics can be pretty much anything.

As for the work you need to do, it depends what your project actually is. There are 2 (or 3) main parts to it. Everyone has to go through this admin form for your EPQ, where you write down your initial ideas, set deadlines, say exactly what you're going to do, etc. You'll keep this form updated throughout and as you go through your EPQ you'll continue to fill it in. The second part is the main project in itself.

If the main part of your EPQ is your essay, then you'll have to do the admin form (your teacher will probably explain this to you) and a 5000 word essay.
If the main part of your EPQ is something practical (e.g someone in my year made a game), then you'll need to do the admin form, the practical element of your EPQ, and a 1000 word essay to accompany it.

More information here - http://www.aqa.org.uk/qualifications/projects/extended-project-epq.php

Hope that helped.
Reply 2
You either write an extended essay on something that interests you or create something practically and write briefly about it. There's a **** load of paperwork to do alongside it all as well. At the very end of your project, you present what you have done to your supervisor and a group of people (most probably your class) and they will ask you questions about it. EPQs are great if you are genuinely passionate about what you're doing, but they require a lot of motivation and the paperwork etc can get tedious. Good luck though!
Reply 3
Original post by LeCal
The EPQ (Extended Project Qualification) is basically a research project in an area of your choice. Last year I did mine on the potential for Lucid Dreaming, so the topics can be pretty much anything.

As for the work you need to do, it depends what your project actually is. There are 2 (or 3) main parts to it. Everyone has to go through this admin form for your EPQ, where you write down your initial ideas, set deadlines, say exactly what you're going to do, etc. You'll keep this form updated throughout and as you go through your EPQ you'll continue to fill it in. The second part is the main project in itself.

If the main part of your EPQ is your essay, then you'll have to do the admin form (your teacher will probably explain this to you) and a 5000 word essay.
If the main part of your EPQ is something practical (e.g someone in my year made a game), then you'll need to do the admin form, the practical element of your EPQ, and a 1000 word essay to accompany it.

More information here - http://www.aqa.org.uk/qualifications/projects/extended-project-epq.php

Hope that helped.

Nice topic choice :smile:
would you people on here say that it is unrealistic to try and finish the whole EPQ during the holidays so you don't have to juggle it with your A levels?
Reply 5
Original post by CasualSoul
would you people on here say that it is unrealistic to try and finish the whole EPQ during the holidays so you don't have to juggle it with your A levels?

I did mine ('The Poetic Merit of Hip-Hop Lyrics) from scratch in under a week (and it had over 80 references thanks to good ol google scholar/books). 5k words isn't a lot when you consider coursework is often 3k words and most people do that in a couple of days. though i know people whose schools made them meet every week with their supervisor to discuss/fill in forms so in that case it would take up a lot of time, i guess it depends on the system at your school. cause they just left us to get on with it then it was pretty easy to do in a few days.
Reply 6
Original post by don_lad_
I did mine ('The Poetic Merit of Hip-Hop Lyrics) from scratch in under a week (and it had over 80 references thanks to good ol google scholar/books). 5k words isn't a lot when you consider coursework is often 3k words and most people do that in a couple of days. though i know people whose schools made them meet every week with their supervisor to discuss/fill in forms so in that case it would take up a lot of time, i guess it depends on the system at your school. cause they just left us to get on with it then it was pretty easy to do in a few days.

What sort of grade do you think you'll be getting? (If you don't mind me asking)
Reply 7
Original post by 117r
What sort of grade do you think you'll be getting? (If you don't mind me asking)

I'm expecting an A*
Reply 8
Hi everyone,
I've just done my AS levels so will be starting year 13 in September, with a view to studying French and German at University (at the moment I think I'll be applying to Oxford/Cambridge, possibly Durham, Edinburgh, Warwick, probably Glasgow and maybe York). I want to do an EPQ which relates to French literature, and after much deliberation I have come up with a potential question, but I need advice on whether it's appropriate/too narrow/too broad/likely to get a good grade or not.
The question is this: "The work of Francoise Sagan is primarily concerned with the theme of romance." How far is this statement true of three of her most prominent works: 'Bonjour Tristesse,' 'Une Certaine Sourire' and ..............(perhaps the third piece of literature I'll use will be a play but I don't know yet).

any advice would be much appreciated! sorry about the long post!
Reply 9
My school has said that a written only EPQ must be 10k words. Yet on the AQA website it says only 5k. Can someone please verify for me.

<3 x
Reply 10
Original post by LETSJaM
My school has said that a written only EPQ must be 10k words. Yet on the AQA website it says only 5k. Can someone please verify for me.

<3 x

It's 5k as far as I'm aware. I'd check that with the teachers though and mention what the AQA site says. If AQA says it's 5k words, chances are it's 5k words. :smile:

@emma53, it could be a good question, I'd check with your teachers though, they normally help. It's focused, which is always a good start. :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by LeCal
It's 5k as far as I'm aware. I'd check that with the teachers though and mention what the AQA site says. If AQA says it's 5k words, chances are it's 5k words. :smile:

@emma53, it could be a good question, I'd check with your teachers though, they normally help. It's focused, which is always a good start. :smile:

Thank you! :smile:

<3 x
Reply 12
If you have a choice, don't bother.
Reply 13
Original post by emma53
Hi everyone,
I've just done my AS levels so will be starting year 13 in September, with a view to studying French and German at University (at the moment I think I'll be applying to Oxford/Cambridge, possibly Durham, Edinburgh, Warwick, probably Glasgow and maybe York). I want to do an EPQ which relates to French literature, and after much deliberation I have come up with a potential question, but I need advice on whether it's appropriate/too narrow/too broad/likely to get a good grade or not.
The question is this: "The work of Francoise Sagan is primarily concerned with the theme of romance." How far is this statement true of three of her most prominent works: 'Bonjour Tristesse,' 'Une Certaine Sourire' and ..............(perhaps the third piece of literature I'll use will be a play but I don't know yet).

any advice would be much appreciated! sorry about the long post!

It'll do bugger all for your application, they are really not at all interested in the EPQ as I found out.
Reply 14
I was planning on doing mine over the summer but I find it really difficult to work at home, so I didn't complete it before school started in September. I deferred entry to Feb/March time and completed it in the end, it just depends how you work best. It's really good for your personal statement because you can show you've got extra interest in the degree you want to take, plus you could combine two subjects if you're unsure of what you wanted to do. I wouldn't recommend doing it during your studies though, its quite a big project. If its not going to affect your entry requirements, I wouldn't particularly suggest it - but it is really interesting :smile:
is it possible to create a journal as the product? with aqa?

i don't know what my question could be yet but i think i'd prefer doing it in this form
Reply 16
Hey guys, Ive done about 4000 words on my EPQ. My project title is "how CGI has changed the film industry to current date". Do you guys know how to get a high B or an A ? Basically Ive done, primary research such as question airs etc, secondary research (45 resources), interviewers and shown how I have done 3D work on CAD softwares. What do you guys think ill get ? My teacher said "last year most people got Es and Ds. Only three people got Cs, no one got Bs or As. Sooooo yeah :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending