The Student Room Group

In terms of prestige, which of these unis are best for a Masters?

Warwick, Durham, York, St Andrews, Bristol, UCL.

These are considered roughly in the top 10 in the UK. Which are best for a high salary? I've already written an application for LSE; I need 3 more. Thank you very much for any help :smile:

(N.B. - before someone says go where you will be happiest; I will be happiest in the place that will open the most doors. I will only be in the city for 7 months of the year so the location does not matter in the slightest. The course content is important but most of them are very similar for what I want to do so I really do not mind. My top priority is reputation from the perspective of the big employers (PwC/kpmg etc., i.e. which university will lead me to the highest salary?)

Scroll to see replies

How could anybody say without knowing what subject you will be studying?
For something at KPMG, the slight difference in reputation between those universities will not matter.
Reply 3
Original post by beefmaster

This, but also,I doubt any employers give one entry level job a higher salary than another just because the applicant went to a different university. Your salary maximization depends on the work you do, not the university you come from. If you are in a field where specific universities are targeted by the companies you want to work for when they are looking for graduates, then clearly you need to find out which are the target unis. As beefmaster said, if you want info on that you need to specify what you're studying.
Reply 4
Original post by beefmaster

Masters in Politics/Economics.
Original post by lil sister

Well...the door to the job centre will be open for you at least.
Reply 6
Original post by A level Az
Well...the door to the job centre will be open for you at least.

Yeah, I mean who doesn't want someone who's got a postgrad qualification in economics? Maybe he should do something more worthwhile, like health and beauty!

Some people don't make any sense..
Reply 7
Original post by Tsunami2011
For something at KPMG, the slight difference in reputation between those universities will not matter.

I thought that may be the case, but in terms of firms 'targeting' unis, would any of them be better to go to? Which is the most targeted by the big 4 aside from LSE? Thanks :smile:
Reply 8
Which are best for a high salary?

Ahaahhahaha! Hilarious! Stop with the uni thing and go into comedy!
Reply 9
Not a serious answer to this valid concern so far... I would go for UCL it was ranked 7-th in the world not long ago. This ranking is subject to controversy but it is safe to say UCL is top 30 in the world in any case. In part due to the location the recruitment prospects should be very good. But this does not mean the others will not work for you.
Reply 10
Original post by Rybee
Ahaahhahaha! Hilarious! Stop with the uni thing and go into comedy!

I know it's shallow, but remuneration is very important to me.
Reply 11
Original post by Ghost6
Not a serious answer to this valid concern so far... I would go for UCL it was ranked 7-th in the world not long ago. This ranking is subject to controversy but it is safe to say UCL is top 30 in the world in any case. In part due to the location the recruitment prospects should be very good. But this does not mean the others will not work for you.

Thank you very much, that was helpful :smile:
Reply 12
Wasn't St Andrews ranked second in the UK for politics, behind Cambridge by a mere 0.01 points. The Guardian League Tables also place it ahead it other top universities such as Oxford and LSE, for politics only though. Surely, the employers will favour someone who has graduated from such a prestigious institution, especially if you searching jobs in Scotland.
Original post by AviG123
Wasn't St Andrews ranked second in the UK for politics, behind Cambridge by a mere 0.01 points. The Guardian League Tables also place it ahead it other top universities such as Oxford and LSE, for politics only though. Surely, the employers will favour someone who has graduated from such a prestigious institution, especially if you searching jobs in Scotland.

Politics is one course.. The OP has not stated which course they are applying for. Warwick, Durham, Bristol and UCL rank equally as high for some courses.
Reply 14
Original post by AviG123

Guardian league table is a joke and has no relevance to anything

Even if you want to assign any weight to it (which you shouldnt), it doesnt rank St Andrews in the top 15 in the UK for career prospects while UCL is top 5 (not that this should be interpreted to mean anything, since the whole table is ridiculous).
(edited 11 years ago)

These are considered roughly in the top 10 in the UK. Which are best for a high salary?

None of them are going to affect your salary, by which I mean no employer sits there thinking 'Oh, that person is an LSE grad, let's give them 2k more than that Durham grad'. You will almost certainly start on a fixed graduate salary and thereafter your own personal ability is going to be what determines your salary.

These are considered roughly in the top 10 in the UK. Which are best for a high salary? I've already written an application for LSE; I need 3 more. Thank you very much for any help :smile:

(N.B. - before someone says go where you will be happiest; I will be happiest in the place that will open the most doors. I will only be in the city for 7 months of the year so the location does not matter in the slightest. The course content is important but most of them are very similar for what I want to do so I really do not mind. My top priority is reputation from the perspective of the big employers (PwC/kpmg etc., i.e. which university will lead me to the highest salary?)

Both the employers you mentioned recruit heavily from all of the universities you mentioned.
Reply 17
UCL
Warwick
York
Bristol
Durham
St. Andrews

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18

What you gonna do at kpmg with msc in politics? :O including lse's msc

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 19
Original post by threeportdrift
None of them are going to affect your salary, by which I mean no employer sits there thinking 'Oh, that person is an LSE grad, let's give them 2k more than that Durham grad'. You will almost certainly start on a fixed graduate salary and thereafter your own personal ability is going to be what determines your salary.

I definitely did not mean that!

I meant to get a higher paid job, not to get extra money lol.

Quick Reply

Latest