The Student Room Group

Struggling with junctions on hills

As the title says Im struggling with this a little.

I just seem to either stall cause im not putting enough power in or roll back because the clutch is not high enough.

Im struggling with the start, so Ive checked its ok to go, then I struggle.

My normal driving is fine, this is just something I would like to improve

Any tips?

Ollie
When you approach the junction, change down to two and if it is clear then go without stopping. If it's a blind corner or you can't go, stop and put the handbrake on. Change down to gear 1 and find your biting point. With one hand on the wheel and one on the handbrake, lower the handbrake and as you do this put in more gas and keep the clutch at the biting point level. (Biting point is where the car will move if the handbrake is not on, so if you do this correctly you won't roll back).

If you can, try and find a road that is quiet and on a hill. Then just practice pulling off on a hill. It's basically about just using more gas. If you find that you are using more gas but still roll back, then add more gas, then add a little more. If it's still not working, then bring the clutch up a tiny bit (and I meant tiny!) when your handbrake comes off and you add more gas.
Reply 2
I presume you mean pulling out a junction. If that is the case, the second part of the advice provided by runninground should help you.

Not too sure about pulling out of the junction in second gear though especially uphill.
Reply 3
I struggled with this from day one, but by some miracle I managed to pull it off without a hitch on my test (I stalled twice on a flat road! haha). Power is more more important than clutch really, you need to find a balance. Get your instructor to run it through with you a few more times.

Runningaround above me know's what's up, more detailed than my response anyway :wink:
Original post by marcopolo1
I presume you mean pulling out a junction. If that is the case, the second part of the advice provided by runninground should help you.

Not too sure about pulling out of the junction in second gear though especially uphill.

I depends on the situation when pulling out in second gear. If the junction is clear and you can see it is clear, then you don't need to slow down as much for the junction, so you should be able to make it in second. It also depends on the angle that you are going to have to go round, if its a sharp corner then changing to first is probably best :P
Reply 5
Original post by Runninground
I depends on the situation when pulling out in second gear. If the junction is clear and you can see it is clear, then you don't need to slow down as much for the junction, so you should be able to make it in second. It also depends on the angle that you are going to have to go round, if its a sharp corner then changing to first is probably best :P

I think my point is that if its uphill with quite a gradient, visibility isnt going to be great. For test purposes at least, it would be best for to go down to first especially as he is having problems with stalling.
Reply 6
Pop the handbreak on, release the clutch gradually whilst pressing down on the accelerator accelerator until you feel the motor pull and release the handbreak. Best way to start on a steep hill without bumping into the guy behind you :smile:
Original post by marcopolo1
I think my point is that if its uphill with quite a gradient, visibility isnt going to be great. For test purposes at least, it would be best for to go down to first especially as he is having problems with stalling.

Oh right, yeah, for the test it's probably best. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending