The Student Room Group

Quick question

This question was 23b in the non-calculator exam, however I can't ask about it in that thread because it's been locked.
7x2x24\frac{7x-2}{x^2-4}

This is the answer to the question which was about simplifying algebraic fractions if I recall correctly. I did get to this answer (above) in my workings, however, I thought it could be simplified further to give

7(x-2)
(x+2)(x-2)

and then cancel out the (x-2) to give

x+2

I've now realised how retarded a mistake I've made, because 7 x -2 obviously doesn't give -2, DOH! However, I did put the first answer in my workings, before attempting to simplify it further.

Do you think I'll get at least 2 of the 3 marks?

Thanks.
Original post by TheMan100
This question was 23b in the non-calculator exam, however I can't ask about it in that thread because it's been locked.
7x2x24\frac{7x-2}{x^2-4}

This is the answer to the question which was about simplifying algebraic fractions if I recall correctly. I did get to this answer (above) in my workings, however, I thought it could be simplified further to give

7(x-2)
(x+2)(x-2)

and then cancel out the (x-2) to give

x+2

I've now realised how retarded a mistake I've made, because 7 x -2 obviously doesn't give -2, DOH! However, I did put the first answer in my workings, before attempting to simplify it further.

Do you think I'll get at least 2 of the 3 marks?

Thanks.

You will have definetly got 1 mark, and you should get 2. Im pretty sure thats 2 marks because your first answer was included in the workingsout, and the examiner will see that and give credit.
Reply 2
Original post by J.Nalbandian14
You will have definetly got 1 mark, and you should get 2. Im pretty sure thats 2 marks because your first answer was included in the workingsout, and the examiner will see that and give credit.

Okay, thank you. My ambition is to get an A, and I've worked quite hard for it so to lose it to silly mistakes such as these would be terrible. But I'm not going to think about that, as I will, hopefully get the A grade that I want/need (maybe).
Original post by TheMan100
Okay, thank you. My ambition is to get an A, and I've worked quite hard for it so to lose it to silly mistakes such as these would be terrible. But I'm not going to think about that, as I will, hopefully get the A grade that I want/need (maybe).

I know how you feel :/ , because Im 16 years old and in Year 12 currently and did the Maths gcse this time last year. I ended up with a high B (2 marks off an A). This never sank in for months, but then I just resat one module and boosted it up to my targeted A. Dont worry, GOOD LUCK!!

Quick Reply

Latest