The Student Room Group

Incomplete peeing

not sure exactly when this started but it has bothered me for a good while now... pretty much every time i have a pee, it tends to feel incomplete as if there's urine trapped in the urethra.

there's no pain but occasionally there's some discomfort where it feels like there's urine left in the urethra and it can take like an hour of trying to force it out drop by drop to feel like i've got it all out, this doesn't happen too often though.

most of the time i pee (and the stream is strong and i dont struggle to start the stream) and then like 20 seconds later i feel like i need a pee again and a small amount usually comes out then i have to spend like a minute squeezing little drops out.

just now i had a pee then 20 seconds later needed a smaller one, 2 minutes later was back up for a smaller one and sat here now, i feel like i need to pee again... it's like i pee and feel 'satisfied' that i've got it out eventually then minutes later it feels like i haven't

it's really frustrating... any ideas?
doctors!!

i cant tell if your peeing more than normal- diabetes symptom or if its just incomplete peeing?

I had this before, id wee and it would still feel like i needed to get some more out but nothing would come. I just ignored it and it went eventually.
Go doctors.

Could be a water infection. Only he can tell.
It'd be useful to know if you're male or female.

What you're describing in a male can be indicitive of a prostate problem.

Whether you're male or female, if this is new for you, then see a doctor.
See a doctor.

I've had similar. Had to see a urologist and had a few tests, first test was measuring my output and input by measuring all drinks and recording them, and measuring all wees and recording them, for three days. Second test was a urine flow test in which I had to pee onto a machine, which recorded the force/length/amount of urine plus any stop/starts or dribbling after weeing; after that I was given an ultrasound to check how much urine I hadn't passed (Post Residual Volume rate) .. Due to the results of the tests I was then given a cystoscopy and urethral dilation, and have since had to be catheterised as well.

Of course, your's could be as simple as a UTI and so it's good to see a doctor pronto really to get it checked and treated..

The basic advice from the doctors is that when you wee, everything needs to come out really. What stays can eventually build up over time and lead to serious problems, or it can cause a loss of bladder tone/elasticity, or infections. So you need to be getting this sorted. There is a safe level of urine that can be held onto, but even this isn't ideal or very normal! In the meantime, relaxation whilst on the loo is most important, though, if you can take a book or even an iPod or something in, so that you remain standing/sitting until you feel you've completely emptied, might help. Like for example giving yourself twenty minutes of interrupted time with no worrying/straining etc. FWIW straining will in the long run only make things worse anyway, apparently it causes hypertrophy of the muscles if done over a long time..
Reply 5
Thanks for the answers, gonna try and see a doctor on Friday.

I'm a 21 year old male, healthy weight, no known problems. I have had this really bad gas problem (belching) which is usually present when this happens... I wonder if the amount of gas get (it really is a lot at times) might be pushing on my bladder or something? Hope it's nothing serious or anything to do with my prostate :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by daisydaffodil
See a doctor.

I've had similar. Had to see a urologist and had a few tests, first test was measuring my output and input by measuring all drinks and recording them, and measuring all wees and recording them, for three days. Second test was a urine flow test in which I had to pee onto a machine, which recorded the force/length/amount of urine plus any stop/starts or dribbling after weeing; after that I was given an ultrasound to check how much urine I hadn't passed (Post Residual Volume rate) .. Due to the results of the tests I was then given a cystoscopy and urethral dilation, and have since had to be catheterised as well.

Of course, your's could be as simple as a UTI and so it's good to see a doctor pronto really to get it checked and treated..

The basic advice from the doctors is that when you wee, everything needs to come out really. What stays can eventually build up over time and lead to serious problems, or it can cause a loss of bladder tone/elasticity, or infections. So you need to be getting this sorted. There is a safe level of urine that can be held onto, but even this isn't ideal or very normal! In the meantime, relaxation whilst on the loo is most important, though, if you can take a book or even an iPod or something in, so that you remain standing/sitting until you feel you've completely emptied, might help. Like for example giving yourself twenty minutes of interrupted time with no worrying/straining etc. FWIW straining will in the long run only make things worse anyway, apparently it causes hypertrophy of the muscles if done over a long time..

had to be catheterised? sounds pretty serious, what did they say was the problem in the end?
Original post by Anonymous
had to be catheterised? sounds pretty serious, what did they say was the problem in the end?

It could just be a UTI, however It sounds like it also could be prostate problems as your getting some urinary retention, I would visit your doctor ASAP, they will measure how much your actually peeing out possibly do a scan and see how much is left in your bladder, catherisation isn't as bad as it sounds and wouldn't be long term, but if you have a huge ammount of retention it's a possibility.

How frequently do you go to the toilet to pee, does it come on urgently? And sorry this question is quite private but is your ejaculation normal?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous

Not too serious but bad enough to warrant being stuck on a urology ward for 2 nights..

To be honest no-one has ever come up with a diagnosis for me. They did suggest that the medication I take - escitalopram - might be having an effect, so I'm on a lower dose of that now..

They also suggested that it could be a nerve/muscle issue. Consultant #3 (of 4) pointed out that as I have dyspraxia (disorder of movement and coordination) that could be causing problems.

GP also said it could be a case of not peeing when I need to, thus stretching the bladder to abnormal capacities. She said your bladder has two kind of measuring gages in it, at about 250ml and then about 500ml or something. The first gage, when hit, sends a message telling you you need to pee. You can effectively bypass that, so the bladder continues to fill and it will hit about 500ml and then again, you'll feel a more urgent need to go.

Apparently it isn't healthy to bypass the second gage, or even the first one on a very regular basis.. Because the bladder gets used to carrying more urine, it's natural systems get a bit effed and then you can end up with either a less elastene bladder (think knickers after an enormously obese woman's worn them!) which holds on to far too much.. They did click that's happening with me somewhere along the line because when I was catheterised, I hadn't peed in 18 hours but was in no real pain until they gave me a cup of tea for my nerves! After that I was "OWW! I need to pee NOWWW!" .. So bladder was definitely holding too much.

I think they think it is a bladder issue - I store too much urine, and can't get it out always due to muscle problems in the urethra.. And all my problems did start with repeated UTIs.

BUT GP said she had similar and her's was caused by a stone in her bladder..

Hence why it's worth seeing a GP asap as it could be any number of issues. Sorry for any rambling, I can talk/type for England when I get going :s-smilie: lol
Reply 9
Original post by The_Procrastinator
It'd be useful to know if you're male or female.

What you're describing in a male can be indicitive of a prostate problem.

Whether you're male or female, if this is new for you, then see a doctor.

Yeh I know I was kinda reading it over and over to check for gender since OP's anonymous.

It amazes that people can ask questions as vague as this.
Reply 10
Original post by restoration
It could just be a UTI, however It sounds like it also could be prostate problems as your getting some urinary retention, I would visit your doctor ASAP, they will measure how much your actually peeing out possibly do a scan and see how much is left in your bladder, catherisation isn't as bad as it sounds and wouldn't be long term, but if you have a huge ammount of retention it's a possibility.

How frequently do you go to the toilet to pee, does it come on urgently? And sorry this question is quite private but is your ejaculation normal?

yesterday I must have gone to the toilet at least on 10 seperate occasions. Like 5-6 of them were decent sized pees then there were quite a few 'smaller' ones that came on not long after a 'big' pee.

when it comes on, it doesn't really feel too urgent or any different, i feel like i could deal with it for a while but it's just seemingly so frequent that it's really annoying and i can't be doing with the little drops that often leak out (even after trying to milk it all out and shaking it off - this seems to happen a lot after i've gone and i go sit down or do something, usually feel a drop come out, makes a mess).

i don't mind, my ejaculation seems fine, the volume seems to be on the low side at times but other than that it seems alright.
Reply 11
Oh dear same problem with . Same to same every 20 10 seconds I feel pee cuming out some time cum out and I can't cantrol and I do in my clothes coz I can't cantrol and pee cum just a lit bit like drop and after 10 second again same problem and colour is yellow , and when this happen lit bit itching in vigils just when we cuming . 3 4 hour am fine and after 3 4 hour same happen start. Plz help me . What happen this. What can I do, now is 1 month same problem. Plz help me. Thanks
I’m not a doctor... I have had the exact same problem as you I get kindey infections once or twice a month. I was even rushed into hopsital back in March as my heart rate doubled, I was only passing blood
I'm closing this thread cos it's old and that gets confusing. If anybody wants to discuss something similar please feel free to make a new thread. :smile:

Latest